• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] A4

A4 has a TON of glide. Maybe the most I've seen for a disc it's speed. It has a funky rim but doesn't feel bad in the hand at all. Felt like a slightly altered Zone

I picked up an A4 recently to test out.
It was 400G 174g White w/ black stamp.

The disc itself is very low profile and flat. There is minimal shape to it. Looks very square on the edge. It has a small notch on the underside of the rim and a decent sized bead at the edge. These two almost even each other out as the grip is very flat/flush. So, the disc feels comfortable to grip in almost any way. A nice solid feel to it.
The flight was as expected, but I was still impressed. I would give it Flight #'s 4/4/-0.5/1.25 Overall very straight flight on a mostly even/flat release with 85% power throw. Has a slight turn over, but not much unless you want it to by giving it a little anhyzer angle or more power. It did have a confident small hyzer fade in the end. I placed this on some very straight throws and nice small hyzers. It is something that you can throw with some power and not worry about a huge turnover (though if you throw it in certain ways it would be a nice anhyzer disc as well). I threw it on some 'Buzzz'-type shots. The A4 flew fairly similar.
For my short range discs I use a mix...but of my recent line-up I would put the A4 right in the middle of a Proxy and an Envy. It flew closer to the Envy. Very similar. The Envy has a little more glide and seems to be a little more overstable overall. Similar Speed, similar shot types you'd use it for. Envy may be more like an "A3.5" if using Prodigy terms....if that makes sense.
I liked the A4. Even more than I thought I would. I like that it is more confidently stable than my Atom or Proxy. Nice all around approach disc. Ranges of 100-225ft work well.

Can you compare it to an Opto Pure?

Very flat and low profile, like a Pure, but with an anti-bead. (see bottom of post) The flight will be considerably more overstable than a Pure, and a noticeably faster. I'd put it around 3.5/4/-1/2

The A4 is a pretty unique disc and I would actually put it as more of a midrange than putter. I'm no rocket arm and can still push this out to about 280' on a good pull. In comparison, I put a Judge and Wizard out to about 250' and an MD3 or M1 out to about 300'.

I received my 750 A4 from Infinite's VIP club and didn't even want to throw it at first because of the weird lip. However, after seeing/hearing more people talk about it, I gave it a shot and was actually quite impressed. It's really a fantastic disc. The anti-bead didn't bother my grip at all and it flew easy hyzerflip to fade shots, flex lines, or big dumb hyzers with relative ease and was able to get more distance than my putters. However, I found it had too much overlap between my mids and putters and I didn't end up bagging it. But, if you're looking for a faster driving putter, I would definitely look into an A4.

Aforementioned Anti-Bead:
86hVXZi.jpg

Can you compare it to an Opto Pure?

I can, thankfully I have used both.

Pure is more putter-like feeling. I think the Pure is more understable at high speeds.
The pure may be a tick slower but with a little more glide.

A4 is thinner (I think by feel, I have not put them side-by-side) more of a mid-style flight than the puttery flight of the pure. They are likely similar to most people, but to me I'd say the Pure is less trusty on straight powered shots. OR to say that the Pure takes smooth anhyzer lines easier. depends on how you look at it.

I've use an Opto Pure 175 and GL 172 - my A4 was 400G a74g

300 A4 is nice in this winter weather.

Flight is a liiiittttle different than the 400G. 174g same weight as my other. It seems a little thinner in general, had more dome in the middle but it has worked in and isn't as bubbly as it was when I got it (which didn't make me happy)
Fight # about 4/3/-1/1.5 Takes moderate power well and flies more like 4/3/0/2 when given 75% or less / touch shots.
I assume the 300 will beak in eventually, but for now I hope it stays nice n' stable.

Though I have an abundance of putter/appraoch discs that not only I have, but that I like and bag. The A4 is like a more LSS Atom. The A2....well, its really OS even in 300, like the 400A1, just really OS. The Envy is still solid and isn't going anywhere, but would like to see it in electron plastic (baseline)
For now rocking 300 A2, Envy, 300 A4, Atom for my short range throwers. - Only the Envy is in 'premium' plastic, its ok for winter, but would prefer baseline.

300 Pa3 for main putting duties and for slow/glideless approach/putt - RDG Serpent and Element iridium. lotta discs. But im an addict...so.......its ok.

I think its time to give one of these a try in 400g

Finally got a couple in 400g.. the feel is similar to a gator or A3. Will be trying them out this weekend.

I have these in 350G and 400g. Like them both, but the 350G just seems perfect for this mold. These are my most useful utility discs-they not only they fill a lot of roles, but do so very well. It's become one of my favorite and most used discs.

Agreed, the 350g plastic fits this mold perfectly. Good to get some variance, I currently bag 4 of these without too much overlap and it will be interesting to see how the 350g will work after a while. This has made me greedy though, now I also want the 750! �� Have only seen them in infinite over a year ago and would love to get my hands on one.

Anyone still throwing these? Got a 300 A4 at a tournament and I'm intrigued. My first Prodigy disc ever, actually. How do these mold up in other plastics? Still nice & flat?

I'm really impressed with the A4's combo of glide & stability, and the 300 plastic is really nice & grippy. I would try it in a premium plastic.

Also looking for a slightly overstable putter if any Prodigy fans could recommend...

Anyone still throwing these? Got a 300 A4 at a tournament and I'm intrigued. My first Prodigy disc ever, actually. How do these mold up in other plastics? Still nice & flat?

I'm really impressed with the A4's combo of glide & stability, and the 300 plastic is really nice & grippy. I would try it in a premium plastic.

Also looking for a slightly overstable putter if any Prodigy fans could recommend...

I've got 300,400 and 750. They are all nice, grippy and flat (750 a little flatter then 400), obviously 300 beats in the fastest. My 750 is showing a little turn too but it's nice to have a disc I can have turn a few feet then still finish. Straight for low powered FH's too. My 400 will turn a very small fraction. For headwinds I step up to a Zone or Justice.

I've been bagging an A4 lately. Bit of a strange disc. It has a rim like a Gator. Initially somewhat understable on hard rips. This disc will definitely turn. I can get it out to about 350'. The A4 works well for longish midrange shots off the tee. It turns over, S curves, and then dumps hard left. The A4 has a sudden, inelegant fade. If you want your midrange shots to fade reliably, the A4 is worth a look.

A4: 5, 4, -2, 4. The thing doesn't glide well, and fades HARD. Much more overstable at low speed than most other mids.

I've been learning a lot recently and revisited my approach lineup. I just added the A4 back in again. It definitely seems like it could be a polarizing disc based on handfeel: I tend to like chunky, rectangular, and flattish rims just like this one. Its rim is unlike anything else I own. It's the most comfortable slow disc I own for approach forehands for my square meatpaw (vs. Harp, Zone, Pig, various mids or putters).

Among other approach discs, I tend to bag the Zone the most, but I started taking advantage of the slightly more neutral flight of the A4 now that I have better angle control. The A4 will carry forward a little more than my Zones and still fade reliably, and it still fades pretty hard within 150'. As it gets out to 200'+ it seems to show its turn, but it still fades back when thrown well past that distance and it doesn't really risk a turn-and-burn unless I give it significant OAT.

I really like the A4 for up to 200' and closer. I've experimented with it on high lines of attack with baby anhyzer stalling shots that drop onto the target, low straight forehands, and more aggressive anhyzer and hyzer lines. It feels like it's very true to how it is thrown (not a meathook), with just enough overstability to make it fit a versatile approach role. I might worry about accidental torque on forehands (mine is still developing), but I tend to use it for touchier, mostly straight forehand shots 200' and in, and it does great w/ just enough overstability to make me confident unless I'm being pretty sloppy.

I feel like my 400g A4 was maybe closer to 4 4 0 2.5 out of the box, but showing signs of wearing into its 4 4 -1 2 stats, which would be great. It fills a gap right between my mids, putters, and more aggressive approach discs like the Zone. I'm noticing I can use the A4 to shave strokes here and there and hit a few lines especially when the Zone might fade a little more than I need, require more power, or risk skipping - the A4 is a little more shapeable and seems to like to *splat* more wherever it lands. The Zone tends to come out when I need more late fade, distance control at a longer range, a baby skip, or have a more significant headwind.

So, the A4 seems like a disc I don't hear a ton about and might be redundant/polarizing for some people, but I'm really glad I added it back in.

Latest posts