• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace Race Records

crusadersounds

Je Me Souviens Never Forget
It's Ace Race season! Those of you that have experience, I wondered what the record for most aces in an ace race round is. Any ideas? What's your record?

The most I've heard of is three, but almost certainly there is someone out there with more.

This year or years past? The numbers I've heard this year seem to be lower than in the past which may have to do with the disc.

How is everyone liking the ace race disc? I haven't heard any feed back and was curious if People thought maybe that was the cause of the lesser amount of aces.

I'm asking about any year, any race, any disc. As far as this year's disc DMA, I'm thinking that we're just going to shorten the holes to accomodate the putter (and the fact that a lot of our racers are new players).

Its fun to throw. Just not sure if it would make the bag.

Also inspect your disc before you take it. Mine would have been a def x-out (bubbling of the plastic under the rim and some other flaws). I didnt look at it closely enough and wrote my name on it. I wasnt about to ask someone to give their Pro-D up. My pro-D also beat up too quick for my taste.

Also there was a lot of different types of gummyness to the Pro-D Plastic. Mine felt like a SS Wizard while my wifes was like a hard as a brick magnet. No flex at all.

Felt like there was a weird run to the discs this year. Great time, but not really satisfied with the disc. Wished it was a driver or mid.

Not a single ace at the race I went to. A good handfull of metal hits, but nothing going in. It seems to be a pretty good disc as far as I've thrown but you have to be on top of your release. From my experiences the thing does not deviate from the line you put it on. I liked the Pro D plastic better. Not in my bag though.

My pro-D also beat up too quick for my taste.

People said the same thing about the Focus when it was the 2009 Ace Race disc. I did not like mine for the same reason. However, for when it was fresh it flew perfectly. So when they released the Focus as a X Soft, they had a really nice disc on their hands.

I never liked the ESP Focus because of how slick it was. I will be getting my package sometime this week as we are running our Ace Race next Sunday. I guess I will have to feel through the lot and see what type of condition they are in.

Have you tried driving with it yet? Does it flip up or is it dead true to the line like a buzzz?

yea it's great for driving, super controllable. works for just about every kind of shot, even rollers. it's 'dead true to the line' like a comet, not a buzz. this disc and the comet are both rated '0' on discraft's stability scale ... so they basically do whatever you tell them to do. it's all about the nose angle.

A friend of mine was in town from New Orleans a few nights back
and surprised me w/ the pro-d version of this disc. 176g
and slightly beat in.....to second what GLong said, angle is everything.

How is everyone liking the ace race disc? I haven't heard any feed back and was curious if People thought maybe that was the cause of the lesser amount of aces.

Played the Ace Race at Westover Park in Harrisonburg, Virginia last Saturday. Hurricane Irene was barreling in on Virginia. Harrisonburg is about 90 miles west of my hometown and after checking the event was still on. Rain & wind all the way there. As the participants began checking in hard to misting rain was pelting everyone. It wasn't too windy but by the start time there was a constant wind with 30-40mph gusts. Throwing some practice shots I was able to get 200' straight shots when there was no wind. To get any long distance you had to throw it on a hard hyzer flip, but as soon a any wind came in it was any ones guess where it would go.

This prototype putter may be useful for some shots but not in any wind situation. This disc was pretty much useless. Supper flippy in to any kind of wind. The longest hole was 175', most were around 150'. I told my group that it wouldn't take much to win it and I was right. The winner manage 3 metal hits. I managed 1 about 1/2 way through the second round. I watched one guy throw a hyzer shot it flipped over to a roller, rolled around the basket and bumped in to pole for a hit. (got it on video)

If this disc goes in to production it should be called the "Thud" from the sound it makes when it hits the ground flat. (Which it does, a lot)

like GL said.. it's a LOT like a comet.. maybe a bit shorter.
Played the Race in Greeley, CO Saturday, great day, great time, we didn't have a lot of wind but we did was sporadic and when this slow approach putter got hit by it it made it a very fickle flyer. It was a nice smooth release, hold the line and is super heavy, mine are both 180+. Had a great time at the Race, thinking next year about doing one here, so I don't have to travell to Denver or north.

I guess my earlier post was a little harsh but it is not a good disc in any type of wind. When it was calm you could get it to fly really straight and hold a line.

With that said...

I have never been able to throw Discraft much. But I do have a Comet & Glide in my bag and have been able to throw them fairly well. I also have a Buzz but I prefer the Comet.

But if you have any of the three discs above why would you need this prototype? The Ace Race disc just seems to not be as good as other discs.

Two aces and four metals here, enough to take the win. Here's two aces and one of the metals:

In 2009 I had 4 aces and 2 metals with the focus (took second to a guy with 4 and 4).