• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice on Shoulder Rehab/Cortizone Shot

Good luck. It's certainly possible that PT will be the answer---for many things, if you're diligent, it can work wonders---and if you start there, hopefully you'll be guessing right.

Age, or more play this winter cause it was so mild in the mid-west this winter has given my shoulder the more than normal achy feeling.

I have good insurance because I work for the state so I looked up the local Physical Therapist.

He claims an injection of the shoulder of this stuff about five visits of rehab and he is kicking me out the door kind of thing.

I have been playing rounds, but not throwing over 75 percent. I have been trying to rest it to see if that helps but cant really see much difference. Then again, I haven't let it rest for a month kind of thing.

Who out their has had one of these shots?? Pros and Cons.. Thanks for any help...

I did the exact scenario you mention in 2010 and never been back to the Dr for my shoulder. I also have some exercise routines the Dr showed me where I extend my arm outward from my body at a 25 degree angle with my thumb up then down and raise and lower my arm and then move in circular motion.

Thanks so much dgers!

I believe it was inflamation in my shoulder socket caused by a ball of the shoulder getting closer to the cap from age/wear kind of thing.

But no x-rays or anything so I can see why most recommended the ortho, xray, mrt kind of thing.

The shoulder felt good the last two days of playing league. I never threw over 80 percent which is how you should dg anyway.

But the young gun in me always want to go for the big holes and I've never turned down an opportunity to deuce the bomber holes that most can't..... until this year realizing my "golden arm" doesn't recover as quickly now...I'll be 40 in June!!

I need to get a specific explanation from the PT. To get better advice here on this topic so you all the med field can give better advice.

Thanks again..

I was hoping the real message received was to NOT come here for medical advice. As you get older, I REALLY encourage everyone to make use of healthcare professionals for routine and acute issues. Guessing that your shoulder socket has migrated is only gambling with your health. If you have insurance, use it. Again, good luck.

I was hoping the real message received was to NOT come here for medical advice. As you get older, I REALLY encourage everyone to make use of healthcare professionals for routine and acute issues. Guessing that your shoulder socket has migrated is only gambling with your health. If you have insurance, use it. Again, good luck.

Generally, I think this forum is good advice. Having said that I am looking for outside the box kind of advice on the subject when it comes to what you hear in medical field.

I am always skeptical of the medical "professionals". Let's remember these folks make their living off of our medical bills.

So, yeah the guys and gals who can give their story on what has and hasn't worked with the medical attention they have received is invaluable.

Certainly, the docs have the credibilty that I'm looking for as they did go to Med School. So I'm not going to foolishly run to the doctor and refuse good advice because a dger said so.

But, believe me outside the box thinking is what will get you to the real truth.

Last edited:
An aching shoulder used to wake me up at night after a round of DG. Physical therapy helped somewhat, but the main things that helped were 1) cutting down on forehand drives; and 2) changing to a bent-arm throw rather than a big reach-back.

Good luck!

the cortisone will help heal, if you rest and perform proper PT. strengthen the issue (joint, muscle, tendon) and you will be better off down the line. the shot should only be a supplement when rebuilding your 'weakness'

the pain you are experiencing is coming from the fact your body is compensating for a weakness in another area