• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My five year old accompanies me on casual rounds, and my 10 month old daughter goes straight for the bag if I don't put it away when I get home. She seems to prefer the Rivers.

start as soon as possible...i got my 18 month old son throwing 18 ft forehands...i didnt teach him...he just knew. all i did was give him a few discs...and in 7 years or so, he'll be the 10 under world champ ;)

I started at 37 and wish I would have known about this sport years before that. For what it's worth, my 4 yr old doesn't like putting but loves to drive. He prefers Teebirds but is pretty fond of the CE Leopard I picked up today.

My 13 month old likes to collect loose discs, walk them to the basket, and drop them over the cage. I am very curious to see how his like/dislike of the game progresses.

I started when I was 14 and am now 15 playing juniors. I have already won a tournament, so just keep practicing and you will get better.

My 13 month old likes to collect loose discs, walk them to the basket, and drop them over the cage. I am very curious to see how his like/dislike of the game progresses.

Sweet. I've known 2 other disc golf babies who did the exact same thing. It made their DiscGolferParent so proud.

I also know of a 4-year-old and 5-year-old who play avidly. It's never too young to start. I always recommend getting a mini basket (the cheap ones at Wal-Mart are fine) and some minis for them as toddlers.

Key with kids is not to push them. My boys started going to the course with me right away. I was the guy pulling a wagon with a baby in a car seat and a 1 & 1/2 year old sitting across for him with my bag in the middle. Kids will play as long as their just doing something with dad.

My two younger boys are 7 and 8 now and ask regularly to go play.

Tiger Woods started at age 3. What does that tell you?

I started at 54. Wish I'd have started before my body got too old and damaged.

I'd say anytime you want to get into the game is a great time to start! There are some slingers who've started real young, wish I had that luxury. I throw with alot of older guys in their 50s, a few started recently, a few have been playing since their college target courses. One has a 5 year old daughter that is capable of throwing a roller 100'+.

I wish I would of started a lot younger.

A buddy in our club started his daughter, Alex, playing when she was little and this year she won the <13 Junior Girls world championship.

I started playing when I was 56 and this year won the MS1 world championship.

When you start is not important. Setting goals and working hard is.

Dude! You are definitely the right age to start! I started when I was 19 and now I'm 23. Totally wish I had started earlier! My HS summers would have een SOOOOO much better!!!!!

What is a good age to start disc golf? I'm a freshman in highschool and started this summer. R.I.P summer of 2012. It wasn't wasted though because of disc golf. Back to the question. Do you think 14 is to young or start younger?

If one is legitimately having fun (as opposed to the parent pushing them), then I say no age is too young.

I started right before I turned 15. The only reason I can conceive it would be too early is that you can't drive yourself to the course. Today's world champions have all been playing since birth, so 14 may even be late!

I started at 32. I worry that this might have been a little late to attain my hypothetical maximum potential: that my body may start to wear out a little as my skills are still ramping up. But, realistically, I probably wasn't ever going to reach that true maximum anyhow! (Though maybe starting pre-kids would have helped...)

My son, now almost six, has shown more interest than my four-year old daughter. She got a mini basket from my sister for her birthday - and my son was enthusiastic enough to have her out there designing holes with him, and playing them. (Basket on top of the play structure! You have to throw, mando, between these two stakes!)

My son's sometimes pretty keen to throw. Pretty good backhand, pretty good roller which is probably his maximum distance. He was very proud this spring to finish an entire disc golf hole. (#2 at Rogers Lakewood, a short hole at maybe 200 feet, but reasonably hard to birdie. And, for me, entirely possibly to bogey.) Took him about ten throws.

I should take him out sometime, just me and him. Maybe he'd enjoy playing several holes in a row. And, I suspect he'd be good to walk at least nine with me. But, family time's precious enough that I don't very often like to split them up. And, I don't think my daughter would make it through more than a couple of holes. Maybe I'm wrong - I'm sure I'll try it sooner or later.

For very little kids, it seems like regular length disc golf holes would be frustrating. There's a reason middle school courses have such short holes. But, who knows, maybe it can still be fun even if it takes you six or seven throws to get down the fairway.

I'm not that good and am trying really hard to get better. It's progressing slowly but it's progressing. I can BH about 150-200ft I think but I don't know. I can FH about 200ft but I haven't really measured though. I know I am not good enough for tournaments but are they separated by age or are they all together? I have heard there are tournaments where I go every sunday but that's just what my brother said so I might join that when I'm better, because you guys have inspired me to.

The tournaments question is a local question. There are junior divisions, and even junior tournaments, but they're not offered or attended everywhere. Otherwise, tournaments are broken into divisions by skill levels; odds are there'll be one to suit you, and you'll enjoy the experience whether or not you're competitive yet.