• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

AHHHH LEAGUE PLAYERS!

League players won't let others play through? My experience is the group least likely to let others play through is a mob of casuals with more beers than discs.

League players are more likely to understand etiquette. League players are more likely to concentrate on their game and not want the distraction of a player or group crowding behind them. Anyone can be obstinate but most league players in my area are pretty cool.

Anyone can be obstinate but most league players in my area are pretty cool.

I would agree with this, most league players in my area are pretty cool too. A couple weeks ago, I asked to play through on a group of nine and they readily agreed. It was no big deal.

Just like everything else in life, most people are pretty decent. It's the few instances when people are disagreeable that really stick in our minds. Just need to put things in perspective...

as a club events director, it's very frustrating to hear people feel alienated from joining a league. its kinda like when i was 7 and afraid of roller coasters, and all my friends would go ride without me while i sat with my grandma feeding pigeons cold french fries. Then one day i got the courage to ride one and i had the most fun i ever had and became addicted to riding roller coasters.

That was me, too! Massively afraid of them, then I made up for it all through high school and into my 20's in a big way. I'm glad I switched to disc golf though; it's way cheaper to hit new courses than new theme parks. :)

Funny thing though: roller coaster forums (yes, they exist) used to be full of casual riders complaining that "enthusiast clubs" were full of entitled jerks who hogged the front seats and counter-posts saying that casual riders and the general public made theme parks impossible to enjoy from June-August.

I don't understand why some league players have to be total douchers. I always shoot alone and I play through very fast, and yet, they give me excuses. "Oh, we're in a league, we can't let you play through." or "There is big groups in front of us, so it'd be pointless." Frankly, that's just rude and inconsiderate.
Since it's a doubles league, they all have to throw. Then they have to pick whose disc is better, and the process continues. And of course the wait time increases because they all have stools and switch discs a million times. Or they visualize their shot while sitting at their lie. It's just ridiculous.

Also, the "I'm better than you because I'm in a league" attitude is quite annoying. You're in a rec league dude. If I put in the money to join, I could be in it too.
To me, people like this are ruining the sport. It pushes new players away when we should be trying to get them to play more. Our goal should be to offer tips and just generally be friendly and helpful. It'd definitely help the image of our sport. Anyway, yeah.

Without reading the whole thread, this happened to me this summer at Mt Airy. A group tried to stop us (a group of 2) from playing thru because they were in a league that, that night, consisted of 8 players. They claimed they were playing a tournament and I made sure to point out I knew it was just a doubles league.

But that group to me were not being Dbags, they were being more elitist and taking themselves and the league way too seriously. When I explained to them exactly what they were doing (because I've played it many times) they backed off and let us play thru.

IMO if you're playing in a league let the casuals play thru unless that group is bigger than yours.

Sorry, but I'm not losing a Saturday morning with my kids to volunteer anywhere. I'm just not.

Bring them along! If they can walk, they can drag a limb. My kids (now older and married types) did this type of thing at a very young age. Not on disc golf course mind you as I'm still fairly new to the sport, but we've always had family project work days at great-grandma's house and such.

You get to spend time with your kids and teach them the value of volunteering at the same time. I see youngsters at our club work days all the time and even my 17 year old (youngest of mine) comes out to help because he knows that if nobody volunteers, it doesn't get done.

berneydidnotread.gif

seriously, man . . . tired of these threads.

some people in certain leagues are douchebags. just like every some person every somewhere.

i was very intimidated by leagues at first and so i had a negative idea in my head. i would play through frequently, and i'd get a kick out of it when they'd say "nice shot" to the shirtless "chucker" who managed to outdrive them even though they are (just like you said) only separated from my by a 5$ fee. then i played in 2 random dubs leagues and a regular sunday league. now i know better. they just want to enjoy the game and the experience. sometimes that means not letting you play through because they're salty or off or are having a tough time concentrating. that's not cool. there is pride on both sides, oftentimes, which gets in the way of just playing the stupid game. if they say they can't let you play through, that's dumb. whenever someone tells me there are groups in front of me, i say "that's okay, i'll play through them too since i'm pretty quick" and laugh because then they really don't have any other out. sorry if your experiences have been less than stellar; that sucks.

Last edited:
Without reading the whole thread, this happened to me this summer at Mt Airy. A group tried to stop us (a group of 2) from playing thru because they were in a league that, that night, consisted of 8 players. They claimed they were playing a tournament and I made sure to point out I knew it was just a doubles league.

But that group to me were not being Dbags, they were being more elitist and taking themselves and the league way too seriously. When I explained to them exactly what they were doing (because I've played it many times) they backed off and let us play thru.

IMO if you're playing in a league let the casuals play thru unless that group is bigger than yours.

I can totally see Jerry calling someone on this kinda shizzz. :D :D

Jerry: Son, let me tell you exactly how big of an ******* you're being right now.
Other discer: Yes, sir, sorry sir. You may play through. :eek: :eek:

:D

I can totally see Jerry calling someone on this kinda shizzz. :D :D

Jerry: Son, let me tell you exactly how big of an ******* you're being right now.
Other discer: Yes, sir, sorry sir. You may play through. :eek:

:D

Haha! :clap:

That was me, too! Massively afraid of them, then I made up for it all through high school and into my 20's in a big way. I'm glad I switched to disc golf though; it's way cheaper to hit new courses than new theme parks. :)

Funny thing though: roller coaster forums (yes, they exist) used to be full of casual riders complaining that "enthusiast clubs" were full of entitled jerks who hogged the front seats and counter-posts saying that casual riders and the general public made theme parks impossible to enjoy from June-August.

yes! crazy huh. .. its not just disc golf, its marksman clubs, roller coaster clubs, skateboarding clubs, bowling leagues, softball leagues etc

why do most soccer and softball fields have signs that say permit use only? thats public land not everyone can use. join the soccer leagues or find a different field.

Its public land.

Most leagues dont rent. And any league Ive ever shown up at/been a part if/been invited to are full or people like are posting in this thread. Very dedicated, but also very holier than thou. Deal with it or play elsewheren because its never gonna change.

You need to look at it from the perspective of other how other sports leagues use public park facilities dedicated to their activities.

Consider softball & soccer: they use specific facilities at public parks and it would make no sense at all for random individuals to go onto those facilities during organized events and expect to practice batting or shooting goals. Why would DG be any different?

Well, it is different. League players should kindly explain this analogy to individuals....and kindly let them know that it is different in that both league players and individuals can play the course at the same time. But, that the organized league event takes priority.

Individuals co-mingling with a league should kindly realize that they are fortunate that they are allowed on the course during league play (unlike softball or soccer). As has been mentioned, if it is a large league with groups on most/all holes then co-mingling will be a very slow moving experience.

But, that the organized league event takes priority.

Individuals co-mingling with a league should kindly realize that they are fortunate that they are allowed on the course during league play (unlike softball or soccer). As has been mentioned, if it is a large league with groups on most/all holes then co-mingling will be a very slow moving experience.

See, that's the problem. Like I said before, most disc golfers are casual players and have no concept of leagues or anything like that. I say this isn't a disc golf problem though...its a parks and rec problem. I've only been to a handful of courses that are marked clearly enough and frequently enough to let people know just what those funky barbecue looking things are (obviously referring to baskets).

Most parks and rec departments that I've run into still make you have a permit for the event, but refuse to block it off for your exclusive use. Case in point: when I ran my Birdie Bash in Fountain, CO I had to pay a not insignificant amount of money for a permit to use the course. Did I get a sign saying the course was closed? No. I even asked if I could put one up, and they said that I couldn't because the course was open for everyone...despite me paying to use it!

So, yeah, leaguers can be temperamental with non-leaguers trying to play on their days, but I would reckon that most leagues have to pay or at least have an agreement with Parks and Rec. The least parks and rec could do is put up some signs.

I played last night and there was a club at the course. There were 8 of them and they started right around 530. With that many people I knew that I wouldnt get many throws in so I declined the invitation so I could just play more holes and get more tosses. In the end, I ended up playing 16 holes to their 11. Just got to go out and shake their hands. Ask what is up and just get to know them. If they seem standoffish its because they all know each other and dont know you.

So....maybe leaguers and casuals all need to be a bit more aware of where others are coming from and why they are acting the way they are...maybe they ALL need to be a bit more accommodating...

Seems most leaguers get territorial and develop a mob mentality.

Seems most casuals just want to cruise through a public course, especially those playing solo (obviously excluding the drunk chuckers).

From my experience, the people who I have met that are doing course upkeep are actually the people who don't play in the leagues. They can't stand the people who develop the territorial, my course attitude. You know, those that feel safety in numbers when talking **** to a small group or solo player that would be done before the leagers even figure out what hole they are supposed to start on.

See, that's the problem. Like I said before, most disc golfers are casual players and have no concept of leagues or anything like that. I say this isn't a disc golf problem though...its a parks and rec problem.

I disagree with it being a Park&Rec problem. If the league has the Park's permission to run the league (often requiring insurance) and has the league schedule posted on the Kiosk, then the TD should instruct all players to communicate kindly and politely to other course users.

I have found the softball/soccer analogy very helpful to help league players understand.....and for non-league players too. You are right that many casual DGers have no idea that DG is actually an organized sport.....and therefore the need to kindly have it explained to them.

If the league has done things properly in setting things up with the Park, it is "their course" for the evening (or morning or afternoon)....and it should be made clear that they have priority use of it (even though not necessarily exclusive use of it).

This does not mean that casuals will not be disappointed and express their disappointment in various ways.