• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aiming with the body vs visual targeting

I don't "look backwards" or look at the target. I keep my chin in the pocket and keep it there. I can see the hit point as I'm approaching it, but I'm not focusing on it. The only thing I want my head to do is let everything else happen right. What "target" are you looking at?

Skimmed most of the thread here. OP, no use in arguing with free advice. :D

My main point is going to be that during a drive - any throw where I'm using an x-step - during the actual x-step, reachback, pivot and release, just those few seconds, I sure still have eyes; they work well; they are open. If I try to think back to what I saw during my throw, there's little to no access to that information. My brain is simply not concerned with optics during the 3-4 seconds it takes to mechanize my body through the motions.

I'd bet it's the same for Paul McBeth. His eyes may be open, but he's not processing that visual info at a high level, he's focused on power modulation and release point and angle -whatever- focused in an abstract, deeply internal way because his muscle memory and motor cortex are on the job. They've done it before, the know what's up. Its up to them to make the line he picked while standing on the pad before the throw and cognitively and visually aiming happen.

Next time you go out, and you have just a really great drive - you're focused, you're not thinking about those contrarian turds [<3] on DGCR, you made the right disc selection, you got enough power and BAMMO you've nailed your line - think back about what you SAW during your throw and your "hit". See how clear that memory is and compare it to the clarity you get when you are done following through and your limbs are dangling dumbly and forgotten and you're look up WATCHING your disc fly.

i see everything, the only time I truly look away from my target is full power and that allows room for error. It's a baseball thing to see out of the corner of your eyes at all times.

i see everything, the only time I truly look away from my target is full power and that allows room for error. It's a baseball thing to see out of the corner of your eyes at all times.

Thanks for clarifying Paul... Did you always throw like that, or develop a more face forward form after learning to aim with your body?

Thanks for clarifying Paul... Did you always throw like that, or develop a more face forward form after learning to aim with your body?

yes it's just a transfer from a baseball swing, You don't turn your head back to gain more power. A swing you use your legs and bat speed to create power same with disc golf shots for me.

Latest posts