• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Air bounce" problem

Nussbuss

Hello folks,

As I continue to refine my form, I have noticed through slow motion replay that the disc does not travel in a straight line from my reach back until its release. It's almost as if my arm "scoops" at the peak of my acceleration, similar to an air bounce. Attached is a video of a couple of stand-still drives.

I understand that there are probably other things that could be fixed. However I am particularly looking for any advice of the aforementioned habit, and any techniques or drills that are recommended for this issue. Any and all comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/SqnNTm8vfxE

thehyze is a retail site, and has no useful information on it (afaik). That drill won't help with nose angle.

But it also doesn't have any particularly harmful advice, either (like the forehand and "turn your back" videos).

Update after quite a while...

I figured I'd make a new post on an old thread. I've made some decent progress on my BH, however this post is related to forehand. I've mostly used forehand for anhyzer putter approaches up to 100 ft, sometimes short hyzer skips around corners when necessary. I'm REALLY trying to get a comfortable sidearm to vary up my play style and shot selection (especially as a lefty).

I'm having some weird thing happen approaching my hit point on my sidearm. I've watched all of the big videos out there and can't seem to figure it out. You can really see it on the side angle. When I'm throwing it feels like I'm gripping it tight but in the video the disc swings way down on its way through. Whatever it is, I think is what causes my wobble and angle issues. Sometimes the disc comes out nose up, sometimes burns into the ground, sometimes flat and fine, always with some wobble. If you go slow you can actually see some of the sideways shots coming out horribly nose up. Hopefully someone one here can provide some new perspective! :popcorn:

Some background on the video:
Overall my goal is to remain smooth. I know I can probably shift my weight and swing my arm more, but I don't want to tempt myself to use too much arm at the moment.

1. The first half is from the side—end of the practice session where I was trying to grip the disc more firmly right before release, especially with the thumb. I have a problem where when I feel the disc release, the disc has already ejected out from under my thumb and then it rolls off of my middle finger. I don't know if this is correct but it doesn't feel right for improving spin and accuracy. However I could be wrong here.

2. Second half is from behind and earlier in the session. I noticed that in this segment my arm was quite far away from my hips, so I tried to change that during the clip I recorded afterwards (first half, from the side).

https://i.imgur.com/YT1tv4x.mp4

Comments or suggestions would be much appreciated! I'll try and get a backhand update video up when I feel confident enough...

Thank you, your advice has been very helpful!

What do you think about the disc path—there's a weird dip that happens when driving the elbow forward as the disc passes my hips. I can't seem to figure out why it's happening. In practice, I am squeezing the disc very tightly with my grip but it still "scoops."

Is this drill recommended?

throwing at the ground almost maybe work?

I've recommended this in the past and while it does help, I'd say it's a temporary fix to a potential long term problem.

But the above drill and this video should provide good info to help correct the swoop, nose up, issues.

I've recommended this in the past and while it does help, I'd say it's a temporary fix to a potential long term problem.

But the above drill and this video should provide good info to help correct the swoop, nose up, issues.

Thanks, I got more of an hyzer issue everything seems to come out on either hyzer or skyhyzer, been trying to throw flat for a while with a follow through low, but still hyzer for some reason I think its killing my distance throwing everything on deep hyzer

Thanks, I got more of an hyzer issue everything seems to come out on either hyzer or skyhyzer, been trying to throw flat for a while with a follow through low, but still hyzer for some reason I think its killing my distance throwing everything on deep hyzer

A hyzer release is actually the natural/stronger release, seems like most bombers hyzer release / hyzer flip for distance. I was also hyzer release dependent for a long time after I took a year off. My bud made me aware of my hand, I was releasing palm down which will flip your release to hyzer regardless your intention. This was hurting distance for sure. The cure was to exaggerate the opposite and release palm up for a while. Eventually I was able to control the wrist as desired with the wrist ending up in a hand shake position for most level/straight shots. Hope that helps.

A hyzer release is actually the natural/stronger release, seems like most bombers hyzer release / hyzer flip for distance. I was also hyzer release dependent for a long time after I took a year off. My bud made me aware of my hand, I was releasing palm down which will flip your release to hyzer regardless your intention. This was hurting distance for sure. The cure was to exaggerate the opposite and release palm up for a while. Eventually I was able to control the wrist as desired with the wrist ending up in a hand shake position for most level/straight shots. Hope that helps.

Never heard of releasing palm up on rhbh throws, this is something I gotta try tomorrow! Thanks!

I think I might be doing that or at least I never thought about it. :thmbup:

Never heard of releasing palm up on rhbh throws, this is something I gotta try tomorrow! Thanks! I think I might be doing that or at least I never thought about it. :thmbup:

Basically the palm up drill is a forced "wrist roll" just to help you understand what might be happening in the other direction (palm down) causing the hyzer release. The "sky hyzer" is a classic symptom of this. Give the exercise a shot and let me know if you discovered anything. :thmbup: