• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Alexplz's bag threadskie

Toying with the idea of eating my cake and having it too when it comes to mold minimalism. I'm thinking if I were to shift to the idea of... now stay with me here Core Molds™ it might make the bag easier to conceptualize.

I think my problem along with a lot of other peoples' based on a recent thread I started in the disc subforum is that I am torn between the legit idea of minimizing molds and thereby the number of wrong decisions that can be made, vs bagging that perfect thumber disc, and that perfect FH mid, and that perfect driver that they first broke 300' with... etc ad nauseum.

Try this instead, why not have one section of your bag devoted to a small number of go-to, versatile molds and another small section devoted to utility discs? This way you cover 90% of shots with one mold at varying degrees of wear, and in different plastics and weights/variants if you prefer (Buzzz, OS, and SS anyone? :doh:). However, you might be more comfortable knowing you have that FAF firebird tucked away for when you inevitably throw it in the shule and have to get creative.

I figure what makes a good core mold is one that, in order of importance,

1. you enjoy throwing - this is a game at its core
2. you are comfortable and familiar with already - or if you're a novice, something tried and true
3. you will reach for often in the rounds/courses you play
4. is able to cover lots of shot types, either via shot angles (bagging exactly 1 Buzzz would be OK, especially if you can FH it) or varying disc characteristics (teebird or roc spectrum)

For me, I'm looking at something like Judge/Roc or Comet/Teebird/Escape. Each of these fits the above criteria to some degree.

From there, just ask yourself what shots are missing from a full spectrum of your core molds. I am not realistically pulling off FH upshots with judges and comets for example, so I am going to want a FH upshot disc right off the bat. Additionally, I would not be confident rolling even my flippiest of core molds, nor would I be trying to throw a thumber. So something like an underworld and a FAF firebird get thrown in next.

Organically, you'll want to add and remove discs from your core molds. It's OK of course to start throwing your utility discs a lot. Maybe I'm terrible and have to throw a lot of scrambles with my FAF FB... that doesn't mean I want to turn it into a core mold and have a big cycle of firebirds (although I'm sure that sounds peachy to some of you.) When you can though, the idea is to reach for a core mold. If you can't, go to a utility disc and don't sweat it.

The biggest difference between this and minimalism is A. you'll be bagging fewer discs from your core molds because you don't have to bend over backward to fit a certain mold to a certain shot, and B. it's therefore OK to choose a slightly less versatile mold as a core mold, or one with a less wide usable spectrum - example: instead of only bagging rocs as a mid and chasing down a USDGC champ roc for OS shots and beating in a DX rancho to the level of precious understability, I can choose the comet as my core mold and throw a mortar occasionally, or vice versa.

with all that in mind, I'm going to try the following setup:

JUDGES
-fluid: OS
-fresh base plastic: top of the cycle, beat to neutral/US as backups
-beat to hell classic: least stable judge

COMETS
-Z: basically a worked-in DX rancho roc
-fresh X or some kind of ESP/bigZ: little more neutral
-worn X: flippiest comet in bag

TEEBIRDS
-MF: beefy teeb, can get away with using this is an OS fairway
-fresh star: plenty stable but in a lower weight
-fresh DX/seasoned star/gstar: top of a DX cycle, perfect stability
-seasoned/beat DX: least stable teebs

ESCAPES
-moonshine: most stable escape, still not throwing this in howling winds
-fuzion: perfect stability for general use
-worn fuz/fresh bio: you get the idea
-worn bio: mm hmm

That would be my core - I chose the comet because I've realized I'm not a huge fan of the flight of a fresh roc. Glaring holes to be filled with utility are pretty easy to spot.

UTILITY
-hard dagger: putts like a dream, throws like crap
-recon mortar+zone/aviarx3: I don't FH comets or judges, so here ya go. Mortar is dope and I need a stable/OS mid anyway, and a slower/less glidey FH upshot disc complements it well.
-FAF firebird: the best choice for extreme OS plus perfect rim width. You don't want to be scrambling with anything but the absolute best.
-star thunderbird: as I mentioned, not throwing the escape through big winds. Longer teebird, anyone?
-star wraith: sometimes you just need a max D FH line.
-underworld: off the shelf roller in a premium plastic :hfive:
-champ tern: max D hyzer crushes, that's it.

That's it for now. The way I see it, you're spending very few points on multiples of your core molds, so don't hesitate to add that fresh DX teeb or the like. If you want to cut down anywhere, do it by taking out a utility disc - I could easily get by FHing the thunderbird and teebirds, for example, but as I said the wraith is a "nice to have" disc.

Last edited:
Started to think that the gap between even the beefiest comet and a mortar is pretty large... considering throwing rocs in that core mold slot. Either one would work well I think.

Could say I'm still on core molds, things have shifted a wee bit since mid season. Switched from teebirds to FDs, which encroach upon the length of escapes, which I have switched to terns. Note that it's only terns and to a small extent certain thunderbirds that go considerably further than FDs without a huge sacrifice in control. Here's the breakdown:

Still throwing judges, but at this point I'm throwing my most beat one alongside a relatively fresh prime judge - these start quite beefy and I anticipate will season quickly to the neutral slot.

The mortar/aviarX3 combo is nice, with the aviar for shorter FH ups than need to stick.

Throwing X comets with the intent to season them in, and throwing a nice star mirage as a tweener for turnovers that go nearly as far as a mid.

Like I mentioned, FDs are in in a big way - these things are far. Bagging a Witness presently while a DFD beats in for rollers. Bagging a fresh C or S FD for a stable slot, which I quite like for controlled straight forehands too.

Throwing a thunderbird (star for now) for controlled FH, and for windy distance. I find a thunderbird really wakes up in the wind. Works OK for forehand, am considering adding another utility disc for controlled, stable forehands.

Also bagging firebirds, considering trying banshees for a bit.

Throwing wraiths for distance FH still.

Back to throwing Terns for distance. As I mentioned, only thing that goes appreciably father than FDs.

At this point the questions I am trying to answer are - do I want another FH utility that flies a little less OS than thundies? Do I want a longer, consistently US disc than the witness? I have a hard time flipping distance drivers over.

Core molds is minimalism, and cycling them is as well. It's fine to have a single disc in there, along side a cycle. It's fine to have 2 mid cycles going, or fairways. My buddy cycles teebirds and leopards, works for him.

My question to you is what benefit are you hoping to gain from having a smaller number of molds over a wider selection of molds? You can just as easily misread the shot and choose a flippier roc than you really need out of a cycle as you can misread it and pick the flippier mold.

Core molds is minimalism, and cycling them is as well. It's fine to have a single disc in there, along side a cycle. It's fine to have 2 mid cycles going, or fairways. My buddy cycles teebirds and leopards, works for him.

My question to you is what benefit are you hoping to gain from having a smaller number of molds over a wider selection of molds? You can just as easily misread the shot and choose a flippier roc than you really need out of a cycle as you can misread it and pick the flippier mold.

Preaching to the converted on this one. At this point, I'm more into the idea of bagging the discs that cover the shots you need in a reasonable manner. What does reasonable manner mean? I guess that's what's open to interpretation!

My think lately is that I've amassed enough backups of my throwers to allow cycles to emerge naturally - for example, at this point I'm doing my best to throw base plastic versions of all my core molds. I am presently bagging a couple of X comets to beat in, with the intention of putting Z back in the bag once I have one X in a sweet spot with a backup. If I lose a disc that was beat to a sweet spot, I'll remove a premium disc in the lineup to make way for one or two base plastic discs to start wearing in, while I also replace the lost disc with a backup. Or something like this... I can't imagine losing a disc would go as smoothly as the above in practice.

The important thing is though, while I've in some cases selected molds that I intend to allow a cycle to emerge from, they are more importantly molds that gel with having OS/US bookends and utility discs for when no version of a core mold that I own can pull off a particular shot, be it metal flake/glow or beat DX.

That's pretty much exactly how I see it as well. I like to buy rocs, new or used, because then that's just more options I have. I'll take all the rocks out to a field every so often and throw them all and re evaluate my bagged cycle. Maybe one is almost exactly how I want that flippy roc to be, so I just bag that one for a few rounds and lean on it.

Once you have, say, 10 or so of the same mold on the shelf new and used, getting the cycle going is just natural. I agree about the bookends as well. Eagles cover many things, but I still have that Firebird for really beefy shots, or more dramatic skips. Doesn't hurt the cycle at all.