• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

Mine arrived today as well. all three marked 175g. Cant wait to try them next to my Opto Felons at SeaTac this weekend.

I was just reading that. Muy bueno.

I have a really old beat up pat # champ Firebird that's soo flippy. It's my go-to sidearm disc. Not so stable I can't get any D out of it, but stable enough to rely on and not flip with the teensiest bit of OAT.

Thinking that beating up one of these would be a lovely disc.

I was just at PIAS looking for a FAF champ firebird, and I ended up finding a FAF star firebird. I didn't even know they existed in star plastic! The thing is money.

FAF Star Fb's are the most money overstable disc on the market. Many dont know about or dont want to take the effort to find one for their bag tho.

FAF Star Fb's are the most money overstable disc on the market. Many dont know about or dont want to take the effort to find one for their bag tho.

This thread was in my mind when picking discs for payout today and after digging through a stack of domey champ, i dug into the stars. Found a 165 FAF star and WOW is that thing crazy stable. Will kick out one of my slight dome champs so I have stable & stupid stable options. Score.

Oh...and i much prefer star plastic - so win/win.

zHtRSNGl.jpg

I1JyhPJl.jpg

Oooooooh, I have 6 Firebirds but no Metal Flake.

Want. It.

Oooooooh, I have 6 Firebirds but no Metal Flake.

Want. It.

I tried dropping firebirds from my bag. Instead used a 3rd run C-PD's (which are about 70% firebird) but a lot of times this season I would throw a "firebird shot" (spike hyzer/super flex out of trouble/big hook/ect) and the C-PD just wasn't enough.

I was hellbent on minimizing my molds/# of discs (was down to 8 molds and bagging 15 discs: P2/Nova/Roc/Gator/FD/PD/Tern/Destroyer) and sacrificed the firebird, but realized that I gave up lots of strokes trying to do firechicken shots with non-firechicken discs.

Having some buddies on Team Innova make it easy to get back into the firebird game (because they seem to get the good stuff, high PLH/flat/beefy/meathooks).

I tried dropping firebirds from my bag. Instead used a 3rd run C-PD's (which are about 70% firebird) but a lot of times this season I would throw a "firebird shot" (spike hyzer/super flex out of trouble/big hook/ect) and the C-PD just wasn't enough.

I was hellbent on minimizing my molds/# of discs (was down to 8 molds and bagging 15 discs: P2/Nova/Roc/Gator/FD/PD/Tern/Destroyer) and sacrificed the firebird, but realized that I gave up lots of strokes trying to do firechicken shots with non-firechicken discs.

Having some buddies on Team Innova make it easy to get back into the firebird game (because they seem to get the good stuff, high PLH/flat/beefy/meathooks).

Good on you for the hookup! That's one of the best ones I've seen recently.

The Firebird is my most thrown disc, the best control driver ever made. I can hit targets up to 375 very accurately with the old Firechicken.

MIstake...I see you've realized the error of your ways.

I'm a mold minimalist too and my experiences mirror yours except I didn't carry a FB prior to using my most OS PD's to handle those types of shots. The PD's worked great for a few weeks, but eventually even the most OS PD's just became PD's. The great thing about FB's is they have the same feel in the hand as my PD's, but can always be counted on to be OS.

Yea I also am a mold minimalist and still carry a FB and a PD. 3 FB's from OS to Straight and the PD is used for that straight shot with less fade.

MIstake...I see you've realized the error of your ways.

Tsk* Tsk*

I'm a mold minimalist too and my experiences mirror yours except I didn't carry a FB prior to using my most OS PD's to handle those types of shots. The PD's worked great for a few weeks, but eventually even the most OS PD's just became PD's. The great thing about FB's is they have the same feel in the hand as my PD's, but can always be counted on to be OS.

Yea I also am a mold minimalist and still carry a FB and a PD. 3 FB's from OS to Straight and the PD is used for that straight shot with less fade.

yeah I like to learn the hard way.

I will say having thrown the PD's this season (bagging one star and one beefy 3rd run) is that by learning my PD's inside and out actually helped me re-learn how to throw a firebird. Since the PD has a firebird bottom/wing.

So the PD and Firebird are like half siblings... hell its only one more disc so 15discs using 9molds can be considered 8 1/2 molds!

I used to be so confused/annoyed when throwing firebirds (backhand and sidearm) because I'd turn into a torque monkey on my other shots afterwards (especially throwing midranges and straight fairways). But throwing PD's (especially the beefy ones) taught me how to still be smooth and just use your posture to deal with the overstablility of firechickens.

Last edited:
Would a 158 FAF be about as overstable as he max weight ones? Also, would it be worth trying to sell or should I just throw it?

Would a 158 FAF be about as overstable as he max weight ones? Also, would it be worth trying to sell or should I just throw it?

If the plh is the same, then the extra weight will only add stability.

Throw it.