• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Allow some/all of stance in OB?

Simply add the statement: "Player may make incidental contact with their marker after initiating their throw." For now, it could even be a rule tweak instituted by the DGPT with a waiver from the PDGA, and not even update the rule.

I'm really not sure why the rule needs to be changed to allow contact with the marker.

In all other cases, the lie is a rectangle that is 20cm wide and 30cm deep, centered on the line of play behind the rear edge of the marker disc.
That's 8 x 12 inches. Is it really that hard to keep the leading supporting point within that area and not hit the marker? You don't even have to have the total supporting point in that area, just a portion of it and no part touching ahead of the leading edge.

What's next? You can make contact in front of the tee pad after initiating the throw?

I'm really not sure why the rule needs to be changed to allow contact with the marker.

That's 8 x 12 inches. Is it really that hard to keep the leading supporting point within that area and not hit the marker? You don't even have to have the total supporting point in that area, just a portion of it and no part touching ahead of the leading edge.

What's next? You can make contact in front of the tee pad after initiating the throw?
If you watch closely, and you may have done it yourself, players will occasionally have part of their foot slightly beyond the front edge of the pad upon release. It's not a foot fault if the pad surface is say a centimeter or more above the surface in front of the pad. But it's a foot fault if the pad is close to flush with the surface in front. So, we already have this inconsistency in how contact with the line or slightly beyond is handled or able to be adjudicated in real-time.

Simply add the statement: "Player may make incidental contact with their marker after initiating their throw." For now, it could even be a rule tweak instituted by the DGPT with a waiver from the PDGA, and not even update the rule.

If the lie has been marked by a marker disc, then when the disc is released, the player must:
Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the lie; and,
Have no supporting point closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
Have all supporting points in-bounds.

Player may make incidental contact with their marker after initiating their throw.

I don't see how the bolded and italicized sections can co-exist. how can a player make incidental contact with the their maker and NOT have a supporting point closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc when the disc is released?

I don't see how the bolded and italicized sections can co-exist. how can a player make incidental contact with the their maker and NOT have a supporting point closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc when the disc is released?
Because the conditional statement that allows contact would be added, perhaps initially with a waiver. It's simply an exception to the current rule like any other exception currently requiring a waiver.

Small technical question: Is the disc or marker part of the playing surface?

If you watch closely, and you may have done it yourself, players will occasionally have part of their foot slightly beyond the front edge of the pad upon release. It's not a foot fault if the pad surface is say a centimeter or more above the surface in front of the pad. But it's a foot fault if the pad is close to flush with the surface in front. So, we already have this inconsistency in how contact with the line or slightly beyond is handled or able to be adjudicated in real-time.

Yes. I've had that happen and I just moved a bit farther back in my walk-up so it didn't happen again. It's called adjusting to the situation. The rules set a requirement and you have to make adjustments so that you stay within the requirements.

Yes. I've had that happen and I just moved a bit farther back in my walk-up so it didn't happen again. It's called adjusting to the situation. The rules set a requirement and you have to make adjustments so that you stay within the requirements.
Unnecessary "requirement".

Simply allow contact with the marker during the throw, not prior to the throw starting, i.e., you can't initiate your throw while standing on or touching your marker. There's no need to change the general rule about contact beyond the lie which usually can't be seen in real time and likely is never called as a foot fault. However, I have no problem with that future change as long as the marker is changed to a 20 cm rod to better indicate the width of your lie. But that's another thread.

Kicking the marker is the only foot fault I have ever seen called where there was no question it occurred.

... But it's a foot fault if the pad is close to flush with the surface in front. ...

No, it's not. It is only a foot fault if the foot TOUCHES the playing surface. Flush/not, close/far - all that doesn't matter.

You know how you can tell? Read the rule.

Don't add words. Don't ignore words. Don't substitute words. Don't create a trail of linked synonyms to get to the meaning you want. Don't think up situations that are similar and claim they are the same. Don't make unfounded claims about how a rule is enforced. Don't pretend that the way a rule is enforced changes the rule's meaning.

But can you make contact with the marker beyond the lie during the throw?

While the disc is in the air? Sure, no problem.

Before you let go of the disc? Sure, no problem.

802.07 Stance
Last updated: Friday, December 31, 2021 - 17:46

A. If the lie has been marked by a marker disc, then when the disc is released, the player must:
1. Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the lie; and,
2. Have no supporting point closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
3. Have all supporting points in-bounds.

Bold added.

Latest posts