• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Always needing hyzer

wonderflex

I wasn't sure if should necromance this thread or not, but I decided to go with a new post: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91246

I didn't get to play at all last year (pregnant wife) and we have been getting back out again finally. I watched a slew of videos on form, did quite a bit of football field throws, and despite my janky elbow joints I feel like I've gone day and night closer to the throwing like the videos I watched.
.jpg

Since losing my Shark and the change up in form I'm now throwing a 166 DX Cobra 295-300ft on a routine basis, but I notice that I have to put a pretty good amount of hyzer on it to stop the disc from instantly turning over right and crashing into a roller. I don't have any way at the moment to upload a new form video (which I know makes this difficult), but assuming I have a nose flat, hyzerless, throw are there any general things that could be causing this?

Here are some of my other numbers for reference:

175 R-pro Dart: 225-230ft, ever-so-slight hyzer release
175 Chamption Firebird: 325-350, ever-so-slight hyzer release
Wife's 150 DX Cobra: Straight into the ground right, flat release
Wife's 150 Blizzard Boss: 360-375, quite-a-bit of hyzer release
DX Mini Disc: Three house lengths, sharp right turn into my neighbors garage, flat release

Thanks!

If you're throwing a champ Firebird up to 350' on a hyzer...you definitely have the power to flip a 150g DX Cobra heh.

What I'd be more concerned about is backing off on the flippy discs and trying to throw them like 60-70% power on a mild hyzer flip and see if you can get it out 250-275'+.

These discs will need a mild hyzer release to go straight, that's fine. But they shouldn't flip into the ground instantly from your hand...that's a bad sign. Flipping consistently and eventually into the ground because you clearly overpowered a flippy disc is one thing...having it torque into the ground within 50-100' of release is bad.

Also the Blizzard Boss that light is going to be flippy, so it sounds like you're ready to experiment with some different plastic. Again, a champ Firebird 325-350' is a ton of power (as least for the Firebirds I have thrown, I can't get them that far), so consider discing up to some different drivers and mids as well if you have that kind of power. Like a Roc3 or Champ Teebird should be able to take any clean power you give them.

Some of those disc do need hyzer(especially mids in DX and pro plastic), but the Firebird is a head scratcher. Either your arm swing is too high and/or you are coming over the top somehow, maybe balance behind heels.

Thanks' I will give backing off with less hyzer a try because it does only seem to happen when I go all out. I'm 6', 215lbs, with disproportionately long arms and I've been playing rugby for 10 years, so I was afraid I might be putting a big too much aggression into it. Then once I get paid I can look into getting a Roc3 or a Tbird, although honestly I'm at a point now where I don't know if I need to throw father but it would be nice to see if I can.

Some of those disc do need hyzer(especially mids in DX and pro plastic), but the Firebird is a head scratcher. Either your arm swing is too high and/or you are coming over the top somehow, maybe balance behind heels.

Lol - I can see the confusion. I have a typo and it should say anhyzer. I'll correct the post (or not seeing how I can't find an edit button in the original post).

Last edited:
Lol - I can see the confusion. I have a typo and it should say anhyzer. I'll correct the post (or not seeing how I can't find an edit button in the original post).

The edit window ends after 5 minutes so that's way. Makes more sense if you meant anhyzer so you were flexing the Firebirds.

Yeah just back off on the mids and focus on a clean snap. The discs I mentioned are just examples of good straight discs that can take clean power, to show if your form is proper or if you're torquing stuff. Neither one of those discs are for max D, but definitely something like those would give you reasonable feedback on your throws.

It sounds like a fairly minor issue if there is one. Either way if you can't control it I'd practice purposefully rolling under (palm downward during follow through and/or finishing on a higher angle than the throw) with the understable discs to see if you can get them to hold a hyzer. Also be aware of your nose angle and initial trajectory of the disc. If you're throwing hyzers out to the left then the nose is more down and your discs will fly more understable. Hyzers out to the right will give you a more overstable flight.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/angles.shtml

Latest posts