• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Anchor (midrange)

Weren't you also a big Bard fan? How do they compare for you?

Bard and Anchor are similar
The Opto Anchor has a little more dome and shot shape potential.

There is a lot of overlap on straight shots but if I'm carrying a stack of discs, both will get used a bit.
I think the Anchor is the better single mid range disc whereas the Bard is fantasic in winds, on hyzer and forehand.

The baseline versions of both discs however we're flat, beefy and uninspiring.

After some more testing. I think I have close to forty throws with the anchor.

Two 174 opto whites. For the most part I have been testing them side by side the mace.

The best way to describe this disc is that it is a slightly more overstable versioin of the Mace.

And to be honest, I think it is a retool of the Mace.

I found the Anchor to be everything I wanted the Mace to be and more. Completely happy and exactly what I hoped for in a os mid that does what it suppose to do.

Last edited:
I tested the Retro Anchor this weekend and really liked it. In VIP and Opto the difference between the Bard and Anchor was so small that I found no reason to think about switching but I found that the Retro Anchor felt much better in the hand than the BT Bard. It flew a little straighter than the Bard as well so I'm hoping that I will be able to beat it in to dead straight faster too.

The retro Anchor seems to be easier to get hold of too...

Picked up a retro anchor & was throwing it this weekend. Background: I've been a Gator thrower for many years. Lately I've been using a Suspect. Wasn't really looking for a new OS mid.
So I threw the Anchor. It went straight. For a lot longer than I am accustomed to seeing. Then it had a sharp dump/fade.
Then with a right to left wind, it turned over a bit, but still had the fade at the end. It did ding up a little, too.
I'll have to play a 1-discer round with it to get a real feel for it.
Like I said, not really looking for a new OS mid, but this disc really caught my interest & may just force its' way into my bag.

Picked up a retro anchor & was throwing it this weekend. Background: I've been a Gator thrower for many years. Lately I've been using a Suspect. Wasn't really looking for a new OS mid.
So I threw the Anchor. It went straight. For a lot longer than I am accustomed to seeing. Then it had a sharp dump/fade.
Then with a right to left wind, it turned over a bit, but still had the fade at the end. It did ding up a little, too.
I'll have to play a 1-discer round with it to get a real feel for it.
Like I said, not really looking for a new OS mid, but this disc really caught my interest & may just force its' way into my bag.

Nice! A word of warning: if the Retro plastic being run now is anything like what I was testing out last fall, this disc will start out more overstable in Retro than in premium plastics (because it will be a lot flatter), but it will ding/gouge/warp very quickly as well.

I don't throw a lot of Dynamic, but just between Lat 64 and Westside the waters are pretty muddy in the OS mid department: Pain(oop), Mace, Anchor, Bard, Pine. Bard seems to have the most beef, but just below that the others seem pretty much interchangeable. Never really liked the Mace that much. Add the Dynamic OS mids, lots to choose from.

BTW, a Retro Anchor does have a good share of OS, and would be an excellent disc to cycle.

Last edited:
Quick question on the Anchor: it appears the Anchor and the DD Verdict have identical numbers (5/4/0/3), but a couple websites indicate that the Verdict has more glide. To those who have tried both, have you found this to be the case?

An Opto Anchor or a BioFuzion (or possibly Lucid) Verdict is going to be my Roc replacement.

Thanks!

TripleB

Quick question on the Anchor: it appears the Anchor and the DD Verdict have identical numbers (5/4/0/3), but a couple websites indicate that the Verdict has more glide. To those who have tried both, have you found this to be the case?

An Opto Anchor or a BioFuzion (or possibly Lucid) Verdict is going to be my Roc replacement.

Thanks!

TripleB
A verdict will go much straighter than the anchor and has a lot more glide. I replaced the verdict in my bag with the anchor because the verdict started getting too straight, especially in a headwind. That being said, I go back and forth between keeping the anchor or just dropping it altogether and just discing down to a zone

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

A verdict will go much straighter than the anchor and has a lot more glide.

Wow! That definitely makes me rethink my purchase of a Verdict.

I was looking for a replacement for my Roc because it got to the point of a straight flight pattern...I want to make I go with something that will give me a new Roc flight pattern but will stay that way for a long time.

Thanks!

TripleB

Wow! That definitely makes me rethink my purchase of a Verdict.

I was looking for a replacement for my Roc because it got to the point of a straight flight pattern...I want to make I go with something that will give me a new Roc flight pattern but will stay that way for a long time.

Thanks!

TripleB

KC Pro Roc will last plenty long enough.

Is no one throwing the Anchor any more? Just got a Moonshine to serve as the OS mid and it is significantly more stable than the Goldline version. Love it!

I had better results with the Bard. Tried both the Anchor and the Mace and went with the Bard. Anchor is pretty deep, and I had a hard time getting a clean release with it.

Just threw opto anchor during fieldwork and this is a very nice forehand mid...OS. But the Caiman stays in the bag. If no Caiman or gator3, this would be in the bag as my OS FH mid.

I have not tried the Anchor prior to this point, I just gave it a run in the last week or so. I know I'm late to this game.

The Anchor is a very solid entry, just about perfect for what I have been looking for.

I have a heavyweight Opto. I throw predominantly RHBH.

Not board flat, but by no means domey.

Nice plastic of course, very comfortable grip.

Beaded, so it locks nicely for a good throw without slipping out early, but the bead is not obtrusive which has been a problem for me on some other discs.

Early on, fresh, for my power level it seems to be a very nice 0 HSS, with a good, solid 2 or 3 fade at the end.

It's not Zone or FB OS, just a solid workable S-OS mid for carving lines in the woods or fighting through a stiff headwind on a shorter open hole.

I need to see how it wears in, but at this point I think it will end up making the bag.

I'm a bit surprised there is not more talk about this disc.

I know OS mids are not that popular right now, maybe that is why.

For my game, I throw more mids than anything else, an S-OS mid is needed. I have tried a lot of discs in this slot, most I try to work around but never really end up liking.

The Anchor is a natural for me, both in Grip and Throwing style.

I have not tried the Anchor prior to this point, I just gave it a run in the last week or so. I know I'm late to this game.

The Anchor is a very solid entry, just about perfect for what I have been looking for.

I have a heavyweight Opto. I throw predominantly RHBH.

Not board flat, but by no means domey.

Nice plastic of course, very comfortable grip.

Beaded, so it locks nicely for a good throw without slipping out early, but the bead is not obtrusive which has been a problem for me on some other discs.

Early on, fresh, for my power level it seems to be a very nice 0 HSS, with a good, solid 2 or 3 fade at the end.

It's not Zone or FB OS, just a solid workable S-OS mid for carving lines in the woods or fighting through a stiff headwind on a shorter open hole.

I need to see how it wears in, but at this point I think it will end up making the bag.

I'm a bit surprised there is not more talk about this disc.

I know OS mids are not that popular right now, maybe that is why.

For my game, I throw more mids than anything else, an S-OS mid is needed. I have tried a lot of discs in this slot, most I try to work around but never really end up liking.

The Anchor is a natural for me, both in Grip and Throwing style.

The Anchor is not on Lat64's list of molds that they are focusing on this year. So, if you think you are going to be bagging them for a bit, it may be prudent to get an extra couple right away.

Marshall Street still has 6 of the Optos.

https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/product/opto-line-anchor

The Anchor is not on Lat64's list of molds that they are focusing on this year. So, if you think you are going to be bagging them for a bit, it may be prudent to get an extra couple right away.

Marshall Street still has 6 of the Optos.

https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/product/opto-line-anchor

Yeah, everything is hard to get right now.

Thanks for the heads up. I've picked up 3, might snag a couple more. Usually like a fair number of backups

This is the best forehand midrange disc I have used yet. It flips up from hyzer and flies straight then fades out hard. Most mids I forehand either flip up and then have a more glidey fade or a straight finish and are a lot more touchy, or are overstable and fade hard if I put hyzer on them. It is high speed understable and low speed overstable, almost like a driver. I cant find anymore of these in opto though. Does anyone know of other mids like the anchor that are in stock?

This is the best forehand midrange disc I have used yet. It flips up from hyzer and flies straight then fades out hard. Most mids I forehand either flip up and then have a more glidey fade or a straight finish and are a lot more touchy, or are overstable and fade hard if I put hyzer on them. It is high speed understable and low speed overstable, almost like a driver. I cant find anymore of these in opto though. Does anyone know of other mids like the anchor that are in stock?

If you like the anchor, you will probably dig the Method. I'm pretty sure they share some mold parts and throw very similarly.

Gila and Sentinal are similar but I think a bit thinner.

Thanks! I checked out the method thread and it looks like what I want. I keep coming close to losing my anchor and have been really depending on some of those lines I can only get with this disc. I just ordered a method and am excited to see how it flies.

Latest posts