• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Another beginner bag...

OutofStep13

Hey all,
I'm new to the site and new to disc golf. I just started playing about 2 weeks ago and was using my friend's disc the first couple times out. Early this week I picked up 3 discs for myself so I can mess around and practice with, but I now want to get a little more serious about learning the game and having the right equipment to start.

I currently have:

169g Discraft Pro D Banger-GT
170g Innova Shark DX
168g Gateway E Sabre X-Out

What would you recommend to add or remove from my bag?

How far do you throw each of these discs? How do they fly when you throw them?

The Shark is a good midrange disc to start out with, people are going to try to persuade you to buy a Roc or some other disc they love but the Shark is very close to the Roc and for now you want to keep it simple. The Shark is a stable disc with a bit of fade, which means it should go relatively straight and then fade left at the end of its flight.

You probably want to add an understable mid to compliment the Shark, which in simple terms means it goes left to right at high speed. The more popular ones are Comet, Fuse, Meteor, Stingray. Use the search function to find out more about these discs, and more on the terms stable/understable/overstable. The search function is your best weapon on the forum, when you exhaust its resources then start posting threads to have your questions answered.

Your putter is more of a question of what fits your putting style and makes you feel comfortable. How are you putting right now? If you can post a video of you throwing and putting so the more experienced people on here can give you tips.

As far as your Sabre goes I know nothing about it except its a Gateway driver and its stable. Do you like it, are you throwing it straight and how far? I would honestly suggest not starting out using a disc that has a lot of question marks, and Gateway drivers tend to have question marks. I think you would be better served with a Leopard and Gazelle for now.

The Leopard is an understable fairway driver and the Gazelle is a more stable fairway driver. Both discs are good for people learning the game and offer a lot of control, you can throw them straight but when you get whatever fairway driver you get try to work on not only keeping it straight but shaping lines.

http://marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/htmlpages/flightguide.html

This is a good chart to let you know kinda what to expect from a disc with above explainations of under/over stable.

Slow/fast has to do with arm speed to make it fly like it should. Stick with slower discs to start, you will have fewer bad habits to unlearn later. Form stickies are your friend! Good luck! :)

How far do you throw each of these discs? How do they fly when you throw them?

The Shark is a good midrange disc to start out with, people are going to try to persuade you to buy a Roc or some other disc they love but the Shark is very close to the Roc and for now you want to keep it simple. The Shark is a stable disc with a bit of fade, which means it should go relatively straight and then fade left at the end of its flight.

You probably want to add an understable mid to compliment the Shark, which in simple terms means it goes left to right at high speed. The more popular ones are Comet, Fuse, Meteor, Stingray. Use the search function to find out more about these discs, and more on the terms stable/understable/overstable. The search function is your best weapon on the forum, when you exhaust its resources then start posting threads to have your questions answered.

Your putter is more of a question of what fits your putting style and makes you feel comfortable. How are you putting right now? If you can post a video of you throwing and putting so the more experienced people on here can give you tips.

As far as your Sabre goes I know nothing about it except its a Gateway driver and its stable. Do you like it, are you throwing it straight and how far? I would honestly suggest not starting out using a disc that has a lot of question marks, and Gateway drivers tend to have question marks. I think you would be better served with a Leopard and Gazelle for now.

The Leopard is an understable fairway driver and the Gazelle is a more stable fairway driver. Both discs are good for people learning the game and offer a lot of control, you can throw them straight but when you get whatever fairway driver you get try to work on not only keeping it straight but shaping lines.

I'm throwing them around 200-250 feet right now. I've been concentrating more on getting my basic form down instead of trying to throw the discs harder/further.

My putting is probably the worst part of my game right now. I've been experimenting with different styles, like the squat putt, jump putt, and regular. I'm more accurate with the regular basic putt, so I should probably just stick to that. I'll try to get a video soon.

My sabre is probably my least favorite disc. I'm having problems keeping it straight, it either has too much turn as soon as I throw it or too much fade at the end. Maybe I'm just throwing it wrong lol.

I'm throwing them around 200-250 feet right now. I've been concentrating more on getting my basic form down instead of trying to throw the discs harder/further.

that's the right thing to do, you'll figure out that good form feels almost effortless, not like you are trying to throw the disc with your arm really hard. focus on hitting lines and spots for now.

My putting is probably the worst part of my game right now. I've been experimenting with different styles, like the squat putt, jump putt, and regular. I'm more accurate with the regular basic putt, so I should probably just stick to that. I'll try to get a video soon.

putting is just like putting in golf or free throws in basketball, it's almost completely mental. if you have the confidence that you are going to make it you will, if you over think the process you will separate your body from your mind.

putting is just like putting in golf or free throws in basketball, it's almost completely mental. if you have the confidence that you are going to make it you will, if you over think the process you will separate your body from your mind.

Same with picking up my ten pins in bowling! lol. Great advice! Thanks everyone!

Latest posts