• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Anyone else not use fairway drivers?

racer93

Double Eagle Member
Just curious if anyone else doesn't have a place in their bag for fairway drivers? (You can see my bag below.) I can get my putters and mids out to about 340' reliably, PDx 350-425' and then my PD2/Destroyers beyond that.

Am I missing something? Should I be adding a FD into my mix? (FWIW, I'm not considering my PD a FD.)

Thoughts?

I dont bag "traditional fairways" such as is the innova standard.

I roll with speed 9, speed 5, and putters.

Dont fix it if it isnt broken.

you're missing out on some awesome discs

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1) If you're getting a putter out to 340' reliably, you're a god.

2) Do whatever works for you! If you're shooting low scores with your current setup, don't let anyone tell you to change it! However, if you think there is a shot that you can't get out of your current lineup, you might want more (in my opinion) mids and fairways.

However, if you can play competitively and cash, use what works.

I only have the Stag, and kind of use the Justice like one. There are some amazing discs in that category, but I try to keep things simple.

I find myself bagging then taking out distance drivers.
If it works for you why change it... but you are asking the question for a reason, only you know.
I couldn't imagine putting a bag together without s Teebird and a River though

would you consider a pd a fairway driver. question mark.

in the world of high speed drivers I do. Along with the saints these are my bread and butter.

another speed nine the felon rounds out my fairway driver slots ...felon, saint, pd.

1) If you're getting a putter out to 340' reliably, you're a god.
Nah. There are local guys who were throwing aviars in the early 80s over 360'. It's just timing and the fact that I love throwing my P2. It's a great disc, especially in S-line.

I'm just curious to see who uses FDs and who does not. I've got a decent amount of power (close to 500' useable golf d) but just don't see the need. it hasn't hurt me so far but I was curious to see other's opinions. Simple as that. :thmbup:

I can safely say I use fairways less than any other speed group: distance, mids or putters.

I should be able to go with more frequently. On paper, I dont even throw far enough to warrant using DD's, and I shouldn't be throwing anything faster than a 9 or so. But we don't play on paper...

Probably the result of pathetic form, but my fairways really don't go much further than my mids, ...my distance drivers do. That kinda leaves me a pretty small range of lengths where I'm grabbing a fairway. Depending on the shot, I might even feel more comfortable powering down a faster disc.

I wouldn't say I hardly ever use them, just less than the others.

Last edited:
I technically don't throw fairways either. Destroyer/PD/Sidewinder/Firebird gets it done for me. Probably throw the sidewinder for "fairway" shots, but I find speed 7's fly to closely in distance to my rocs so I don't bother. Whatever works for you.

I think it just depends on the type of courses you play and your game.

Fairways and Control drivers make up most of my bag. I couldn't imagine playing without fairways on the courses I play. On more open courses though I good see using them less though.

Just curious if anyone else doesn't have a place in their bag for fairway drivers? (You can see my bag below.) I can get my putters and mids out to about 340' reliably, PDx 350-425' and then my PD2/Destroyers beyond that.
Am I missing something? Should I be adding a FD into my mix? (FWIW, I'm not considering my PD a FD.)
Thoughts?

I think it just depends on the type of courses you play and your game.
Fairways and Control drivers make up most of my bag. I couldn't imagine playing without fairways on the courses I play. On more open courses though I good see using them less though.

I agree... have a core bag and then add discs for the courses you're playing on. If you don't need fairway drivers, no need to carry them.

Having said that, if you're throwing putters 340 ft., you should consider becoming a pro player(!). And to that end, you might find having control/fairway drivers useful for shots requiring accuracy.

Myself: I only have two mids, and don't throw them often, so that's the "small" part of my bag...

Buzzz and comet are very long mids. PD is renowned as a straight shooting control driver. They go well together.

I would say you're fine, but there are situations thay warrant a fairway driver for the best possible shot. Perhaps not where you play?

I consider fairways to be speed 6/7. I think 8-10 are control drivers. A pd is a 1.9 cm rim. No point in using 1.8 and calling it your fairway. Hence why i throw the gazelle. Used to throw teebirds and leopards primarily along with a ton of experimenting.

Also, what AFTC said.

I find I have mostly DDs and mids. I bag a Valkyrie, FD and a thunderbird as far as fairway type discs, but usually I'm opting for a long mid before a fairway driver and quickly get to distance drivers after I run out of range on my mids. Though I only put mids out to about 250, drivers max around 375 so I need any boost on distance I can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rarely use fairways as well. I really only use them for flicks or really low ceiling putter shots. Even then i only bag trident and f3 which barely go further than a mid. I have started bagging a diablo too for courses with that 350-360 ft hole but normally i feel more comfortable flexing a fb or pd2 softly

Last edited:
If forced to drop one category, it would be mids, then distance drivers. Fairways and putters are my favorite to throw.

I use fairways all the time (Eagle, Teebird and Leopard), I play a lot of wooded courses.

If I had to drop a category it would be drivers.

I do not really bag fairways, and havent for a long while. I have always been a control driver guy (since back when they were labeled distance drivers), and am known to push the limits of the Buzzz a long ways. (No mention of footage, this is the internet). The times I miss a fairway (the FD is AMAZING) is when I play out of state or the occasional hole that has a low ceiling and is a mid-range type distance. The CD2, especially S line does a pretty good job filling that role for me.