• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Anyone like the Warlock?

Gateway plastic dings up quickly from new and then gets to a point where it just stops taking more damage. I think they only get better as they get more beat.

This is my main putter. It's looked like that for years.
34dcadd6-f760-46aa-abd4-c049e5efd786_zps57f6246e.jpg
Should we start a "post pictures of your dinged up Wizard" thread?

I generally had Wizards in a pair where one is the putting putter and one is the driving putter. No real reason, but it is what it is. The putting putter generally was the retired driving putter, but one year I replaced both at the same time with a fresh Wizard. I ended up using those two as a pair for a few seasons, and it's comical how much more dinged up looking the putting putter is than the driving putter. They fly the same, though. If I lost either Wizard I could easily get by with just the other one, no problem.

I have the same general feeling about the Warlocks I use now. My "putting" Warlock is an Eraser and my "driving" putter is an S, but they went in the bag at about the same time and you could easily switch them and they would fly the same. The Eraser one just looks worse.

For me, Warlocks are heavier in the rim of the disc than an Aviar. Aviar's feel light in my hand after holding a Warlock because the Warlock feels like it has a beefier rim. That's one of the reasons I like them. It could be all in my head, though. Warlocks for me start out more OS than an Aviar. It's just a great putter. Good slightly OS driving putter, comfortable putting putter.

I think they might be. Gateway putters seem to have a little bit thinner flight plate and maybe a bit denser plastic compared to Innova base plastic.

I would be down for that. At first I thought we could just post in the regular Wizard thread, but that might get annoying for some. Why not just a "post your thrashed disc that you still actively use thread".

You made a thread requesting putters that could replace your aviar because they are too common. So you were actively looking to "knock your P&A out of your bag."
Give it two weeks and you'll be looking for a new putter for some stupid reason.

Yes, I sure did. I didn't however think the Warlock would be the one to take my DX Aviar P&A's place. I was pretty sure it would be the Warden.....or I would just stick with the Aviar P&A but in the R Pro plastic.

You may be correct...I guess we will just wait and see!

Thanks for your input!

TripleB

Give it two weeks and you'll be looking for a new putter for some stupid reason.

It's been over two months and the Warlock is still holding strong in the bag. Actually I think I'm up to a total of 5 of them now. 2 at 173g, 2 at 174g (1 with comic art), 1 at 175g.

All are SSS except one of 174g ones. All yellow except the 175g one which is orange.

I bag the 175g one and use all the rest when I'm practicing my putts.

TripleB

I generally had Wizards in a pair where one is the putting putter and one is the driving putter. No real reason, but it is what it is. The putting putter generally was the retired driving putter, but one year I replaced both at the same time with a fresh Wizard. I ended up using those two as a pair for a few seasons, and it's comical how much more dinged up looking the putting putter is than the driving putter. They fly the same, though. If I lost either Wizard I could easily get by with just the other one, no problem.

I have the same general feeling about the Warlocks I use now. My "putting" Warlock is an Eraser and my "driving" putter is an S, but they went in the bag at about the same time and you could easily switch them and they would fly the same. The Eraser one just looks worse.

So did the "dinged up Wizard" thread take off?

I picked up one of the PW warlocks when they first ran them. I really like it but it definitely isn't something you'd want to use in the cold. It is basically a mcpro aviar.

Ric
I think it's an Aviar

I used to throw them way back but that means nothing cuz what I knew then v now is much different

I'm not sure what hole you were looking to fill.

If you want an Aviar but in...ummm I'm gonna say "better" plastic assuming you hand pick the ones you like for grip etc...then maybe this would be the way to go

decent glide
quite neutral but not understable

I don't think as deep as a Wiz as there is no bead

So then like a Classic Grid aviar then, as regular Aviar have a small bead and BB models.

So did the "dinged up Wizard" thread take off?
I can't get a decent picture of one. My oldest Wizards are actually in great shape, they either were just driving putters that never got all that beat up or there was something weird about them and I never threw them. The oldest one that actually looks like somebody used it a lot has a tournament stamp from 2010; it's practically new.

The worst looking Wizard I own actually is new. I threw it one day. The University here has an experimental mine and they set up an event where a lot of the holes were in the mine and the rest were out in the woods and quarry around the mine. You got a glow Wizard and were supposed to throw that one disc all day. Gateway S plastic is great, but it's no match for a mine wall and a gravel pit. The disc I got had an SSS feel to it, kinda soft for my liking so I've never bagged it. It looks like it was bagged for years, though.

Attachments

• 29067151_1732955790104002_6812317512464884857_n.jpg
    29067151_1732955790104002_6812317512464884857_n.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 28959132_1732955573437357_5742678554206583399_n.jpg
    28959132_1732955573437357_5742678554206583399_n.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 29067052_1021603767987582_8733847527969493812_n.jpg
    29067052_1021603767987582_8733847527969493812_n.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
So then like a Classic Grid aviar then, as regular Aviar have a small bead and BB models.

I'm not sure how long ago I posted what you quoted from me but in response to what you said

I'm not sure that "regular" Aviars have a small bead.

If the P&A is the "regular" and assuming that McBeth used P&A's for his McPro models I do not believe that they had a bead.

I don't know that the Classic Aviar matches to the Warlock as much as the P&A does

the Classic is 2,3,0,0
the P&A is 2,3,0,2

The P&A numbers probably match the Warlock better than the Classic

Lol, the beadles Aviar wing replaced the small bead P&A like what, a decade ago? Probably longer than that.

I'm not sure how long ago I posted what you quoted from me
1-10-2012. It's the second post in this thread in response to booter's initial question about them.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how long ago I posted what you quoted from me but in response to what you said

I'm not sure that "regular" Aviars have a small bead.

If the P&A is the "regular" and assuming that McBeth used P&A's for his McPro models I do not believe that they had a bead.

I don't know that the Classic Aviar matches to the Warlock as much as the P&A does

the Classic is 2,3,0,0

the P&A is 2,3,0,2

The P&A numbers probably match the Warlock better than the Classic

Neither the Aviar P&A nor the Classic have a bead currently. Both are nearly indistinguishable from the Warlock profile.

I like the Warlock - but the one thing that didn't jive well is that the bottom of the disc comes to a POINT and its not the most comfortable. Plastic options are fine, flight is stable straight - but that point sometimes got caught in my palm - When the disc wears in it rounds out a little it feels fine - but I couldn't do it with that pointy bottom -

I like the Warlock - but the one thing that didn't jive well is that the bottom of the disc comes to a POINT and its not the most comfortable. Plastic options are fine, flight is stable straight - but that point sometimes got caught in my palm - When the disc wears in it rounds out a little it feels fine - but I couldn't do it with that pointy bottom -
Are you sure that wasn't a flashing issue? I wouldn't say they come to a point any more than a beadless Aviar does. I'd agree that they are not comfortable if the flashing isn't taken care of there.

Are you sure that wasn't a flashing issue? I wouldn't say they come to a point any more than a beadless Aviar does. I'd agree that they are not comfortable if the flashing isn't taken care of there.

That could be - of the ones I've held / used that was an issue - but im sure it could have been that run. I have one that is kinda worn and it feels great - I went to get another and all of them at that time felt awful. haha - so yeah, just a bad luck experience

My experience:
Warlock is more OS than a DX P&A is more OS than a classic aviar.

I primarily putt with the warlock, having switched from Aviars, and I'd have to agree. My problem with the aviar was that it was a touch too floaty in heavy wind, and the plastic, especially on stiffer dx (classic), was way too slick when it got dusty. The hand feel is the same on warlocks, and they come in a better range of plastics. Once I switched I found I like how they range better than the aviars, precisely because they are a bit more stable, so for me its an added bonus. Off the tee they're all just straight stable, if you throw them badly either is liable to turn and burn, or fade early.