• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone play wang?

steveo69

Eagle Member
I was wondering if any of you have played this before. We call it wang a friend of mine said that he made it up. What you do is put gardening poles in the ground a few inches so they stick straight up they should be the same distance apart as your putter is wide. You set two of these up about 25' apart. You then put Dixie cups upside down on the top of the poles. 1-2 players stand at each goal. The point is to get the putter between appoints goal posts without the disc touching the poles. This gets you 3 points and the privilege of yelling WANG. If you hit a pole and the cup comes off its one point. If you get between and touch a poll its two points. If at any time the other team catches your disc or a cup you don't get the points. The game is played first to reach 21 and you must have a beer in hand the whole game and take a drink every time the opponents score or prevent you from scoring. It's a fun party/drinking game and also good putting practice.

I just saw people playing this game or a variation of it at Sedgley in Philly yesterday, so tell your friend to stop lying!!

Looked like some fun, definitely would like to try it some time.

also known as 'cups' around here and probably called a few other things as well in different places. I have always seen it played with a lid though. At Druid Hill in Baltimore, they usually play dollar doubles Cups after Thursday Triples and sometimes will light up the game and play well past dusk. It is a great weekly event, anyone that has a chance to check it out should not pass on it.

Last edited:
It's dead once it hits the ground...at least that's how we play. And we play with a lid too.

A buddy of mine built a pair of boxes with two sleeves in each to hold the wickets (or fricket poles if you will) and filled the boxes with concrete. That way the poles on each side are always plumb (assuming a level surface) and spaced evenly. Going to be playing A LOT of fricket this weekend.

Your friend didn't invent it and it ain't called Wang:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fricket

Wham-O actually tried to market something like it. It's been around a while and Zenbot and I have a coast-to-coast show down at some point in the distant future.
I must break you.

i-must-break-you-o.gif

yea my buddies and i always referred to it as "sticks"...use those like yard long narrow poles sometimes used around curbs etc. that usually have reflective stuff on top. use party cups and an ultimate disc and you always need to have a beer in one hand - makes it tougher to catch the cup.

I usually tape red or blue keg cups to keep them from breaking.

It's NOT Fricket you noobs!!! It is Disc Wickets!!! :p

I'll have to try that I always use like a hole bag and it seams wastful. What type of tape do you use?
Just one strip of duct tape. I think it also makes the cups a little easier to catch so it becomes more of a defensive game.

They sell this game in one of my Physical Education magazines.

Here is one very similar
1805364341054040_4.jpg

Last edited: