• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone play with their kid(s)

asu225

Par Member
I've started playing again and I decided to introduce my son to the game and he really likes it. I got him a few discs and a bag for his 10th birthday. I have little to no skill so I see us playing friendly competitive games in the near future.

My 8 year old daughter has been throwing the same KC roc since she was 5. She is just now getting to the point that she will actually play an entire round, throw for throw, without being distracted or losing interest. I'm thinking she might be ready to start establishing her handicap at local league by age 10.
We were on a family vacation recently up in North Georgia / North Carolina area and she played a fairly mountainous course in it's entirety and loved every minute of it.

My wife and I are expecting a son in October. I'm thinking he might start even earlier than his big sis. :)

Sure do, even though I am 57 and the kids are adults on their own, we have many great battles between us, my son, my daughter, my a son-in-law, and daughter-in-law. Seems like the local league I play in, they are all kids, age wise at least!

Absolutely! I've been encouraging my two daughters to play for years. They're 14 and 11 now and will both WILLINGLY go to the course with me anytime I ask.
Having played ball golf most of my life I can honestly say disc is a much better game for kids. In addition to the time you have just hanging out with them, a park/playground is usually nearby in case they run out of steam.

Every chance I get. I have 4 kids. The 2 youngest aren't interested. But both of my oldest have finally discovered the many joys of the sport. Unfortunately my disc throwing sons live in Jersey so we don't get many opportunities to play together.

i get my son to come play with me maybe half a dozen times a year although on longer courses we will often just play 9, often with me inventing shorter tees for him.

When we go down to Charlotte, NC we will play 18 several times at Elon short. It's really awesome to have a short course that nice to play with a new player or child.

My youngest son just turned 16 last week and we have been playing together for almost 10 years. We are planning a trip together to Am Worlds this year - both of us playing.

I have 4 sons, 19, 16, 9 and 4. They all play. Have for the last 6 years. My 4 year old is the one who is always down for playing anytime. He throws about a hundred forehand rollers while we walk. I played a two-man wacky format with my 9 year old last fall. Had a blast. My 16 year old throws 425 easy and beats me more than I care to admit. My oldest and I go back and forth on wins.
I'm fortunate that they all play. It has allowed me to take them on roadtrips to KC, Lemon lake, idlewild, bowling green, several other overnights. My 9 and 4 year old and I just took a day trip to Branson Cedars last month.
So yeah, I play with my kids.

I play shortened rounds with my oldest daughter (10.) We will play best drive and I always let her get a few best drives to make her feel good about it, but I always make her putt hers out. My youngest daughter (6) will just play with my practice basket and then gets over it in about 10 minutes, disc golf isn't dangerous enough for her.

I play doubles with my 9 year old daughter. She keeps score and usually skips the drives. Depending on the course, we set a target that if we achieve for the round, we get a shake or something. She's not super interested in playing, but likes visiting the creeks or taking a milkbone the the nice dog in the adjacent yard, or hitting the playground up after a round. We get maybe once a month, so it's fresh enough to keep her interested.

My son (10 now) played with me some last summer. Still will join me for random putting contests in the basement and I was very happy to hear him say that once it warms up he wants to go out again.

Usually last year he'd make it through 2/3s of a round or so before losing attention and choosing to play with the dog for the rest of the round. Should be interesting to see if he has a greater attention span this year.

One thing that definitely helped was making a fun competition for the box. We assigned a handicap based on the hole (usually 2 for par 3s, more for longer holes) and he loves it when he can take the box from me.

My daughter has been a regular fixture or casual and local league rounds for years now. She's turning seven this summer and loves disc golf! The first few years she was just along for the ride (all terrain stroller etc.).

The more you focus on it just being fun the better off you will be keeping him interested. No need to over coach or anything just let them get into it themselves.

No need to over coach or anything just let them get into it themselves.

Definitely this.

I quickly learned that as soon as I try to offer advice I've lost him for the day. Now I won't give any advice unless asked - and even then its super simple and short.

I'd like to get my daughter out next year when she's 3. But I'm afraid she'll just get Lyme's.

My son started 3 summers ago, and he's 9 now. I won't take him every time, but probably 75% of my casual rounds are with him. He's mostly throwing a Teebird or Diamond for his driver, Roc for a mid, and Polecat or Dart for his putter. If course, I let him pick through my bag and try whatever he wants, as long as he plays his shot.

I did try to play the role of coach for a little bit last summer and it sucked. Only fun casual rounds with him, now, and we have a good time. He's throwing ~200' just by trial and error, which is fine by me. I imagine he'll be kicking my butt in another few years.

My gf and I have 4 boys 9-13 that all have been playing since we started just over a year ago. If any of them beat me I have to buy them a disc. I'm out 2 do far, I believe. I had to clarify that if they want something more than $10 they pay the difference.
I think this motivates me to play better.

My kids have both played; they are 14 and 11. My youngest told me she didn't really like it and was going to stop playing last fall. My oldest at right about the same time started playing doubles league with me and getting up early on Sundays to get in a practice round. She really seems to be into disc golf right now. So right now I'm 50/50.

Latest posts