• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

aphilso1's ITB

aphilso1

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Been tinkering with my bag lately, partially due to new plastic acquired via Black Friday sales and Christmas presents and partially because I'm an over-analyzer. Wanted to have a place to track my bag over time. In what will likely be one of my last rounds of 2018, my bag was:

(3) Envy
(2) Zone
Verdict
Emac Truth
Evidence
Warrant
Felon
Getaway
(2) Escape
(2) Hatchet
Wave
Vanish
Trespass
Ballista
King

Putters: Fairly locked in. Zones and Envies for throwing and I don't see that changing anytime soon; every once in a while I toss in a beat Colt for flippy approaches. I putted with Crowns for all of 2018, but a part of me wants to minimize molds and ditch the Crown for an Envy.

Mids: Really happy with Verdicts and Emacs. I had been bagging a couple Tursas all year, but am trying out the Evidence/Warrant combo this winter. Wouldn't mind trying out a Comet at some point too. Flippy mids are fun.

Fairways: Escapes are my bread and butter, probably my most thrown mold. Felons, Getaways, and Hatchets rounded out my fairways in 2018. Would like to get my hands on a low weight Bio Felon sometime in early 2019 and I'm greatly anticipating the release of the Lucid-X Escape. Otherwise I really don't foresee changes here.

Distance drivers: Currently in flux. Trespasses were my main driver in 2018. Lately I've tinkered with carrying both a control (Photon/Wave/Vanish) and max D (World/Ballista/King) lineup. If I need to slim down to 5 drivers like I did today, I can swap the World & Photon for an Enforcer or fresh Trespass. I also sometimes still roll out my familiar Trespass/Trespass/Wave/Vanish lineup if I really need to trust my lines or I expect bad footing.

Last edited:
Been tinkering with my bag lately, partially due to new plastic acquired via Black Friday sales and Christmas presents and partially because I'm an over-analyzer. Wanted to have a place to track my bag over time. In what will likely be one of my last rounds of 2018, my bag was:

(3) Envy
(2) Zone
Verdict
Emac Truth
Evidence
Warrant
Felon
Getaway
(2) Escape
(2) Hatchet
Wave
Vanish
Trespass
Ballista
King

Putters: Fairly locked in. Zones and Envies for throwing and I don't see that changing anytime soon; every once in a while I toss in a beat Colt for flippy approaches. I putted with Crowns for all of 2018, but a part of me wants to minimize molds and ditch the Crown for an Envy.

Mids: Really happy with Verdicts and Emacs. I had been bagging a couple Tursas all year, but am trying out the Evidence/Warrant combo this winter. Wouldn't mind trying out a Comet at some point too. Flippy mids are fun.

Fairways: Escapes are my bread and butter, probably my most thrown mold. Felons, Getaways, and Hatchets rounded out my fairways in 2018. Would like to get my hands on a low weight Bio Felon sometime in early 2019 and I'm greatly anticipating the release of the Lucid-X Escape. Otherwise I really don't foresee changes here.

Distance drivers: really been in flux lately. I've tinkered with carrying both a control (Photon/Wave/Vanish) and max D (World/Ballista/King) lineup. If I need to slim down to 5 drivers like I did today, I can swap the World & Photon for an Enforcer or fresh Trespass. I also sometimes still roll out my familiar Trespass/Trespass/Wave/Vanish lineup if I really need to trust my lines or I expect bad footing.
Welcome to the over analysts club! It is an expensive habit in disc golf haha. I love the putter and mid set up. Fairways are covered nicely as well. I would recommed slimming down thw distance drivers. They tend to be more sensitive, so I recommend an overstable, straight, and understable and learning them at all angles of release and wind.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the over analysts club! It is an expensive habit in disc golf haha. I love the putter and mid set up. Fairways are covered nicely as well. I would recommed slimming down thw distance drivers. They tend to be more sensitive, so I recommend an overstable, straight, and understable and learning them at all angles of release and wind.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I imagine I'll eventually get drivers pared down. I always carry a Wave and Vanish, since I can get good distance with them and they're both really controllable for me. But in calm winds the King is my longest disc...and the Ballista is longer and more stable than a Wave...and I've thrown Trespasses more than anything else so I'm the most comfortable with them...and the World I have is super beefy for headwinds on hurricane days...

Yeah, there's a reason I can't seem to decide on what drivers to bag. They've all got their relative merits. :\

Played the last few rounds with a consistent bag set up:

(3) Envy
(2) Zone
Verdict
Emac Truth
Evidence
Tursas
Felon
Getaway
(2) Escape
Hatchet
Wave
Vanish
(2) Trespass
Ballista

Putters: No changes.

Mids:The Warrant test didn't work out, at least for now. It seems to flip when I expect it to come back, and fade out when I expect it ride a turnover. I put the old reliable Tursas back in the bag instead of the Warrant. The Evidence test has gone much better, as it fills a 2-for-1 slot replacing both a somewhat beat Emac and uncharacteristically stable Tursas. I bagged 5 mids most of last year but I think I'm going play with 4 this year on most courses.

Fairways: Dropped one Hatchet from the bag. I was testing two out as a replacement for one that I lost a month ago, and found the one that is closest to the lost one.

Drivers: Been loving the Ballista more and more for true max distance shots. Dropped the King for now; can cover most King lines with a Vanish so haven't missed it yet. Added a Moonshine World for wind, so of course we've had oddly calm weather lately. Put second Trespass back in the bag.

Got a couple snowy rounds in this week with the following bag:

(3) Envy
(2) Zone
Verdict
Emac Truth
Evidence
Tursas
Felon
Getaway
(2) Escape
Hatchet
Wave
Vanish
Photon
(2) Trespass
Ballista
Ballista Pro

Putters: No change.

Mids: My Biofuzion Verdict has hit a few too many trees and now is seriously overlapping with my sparkle Lucid Emac Truth. Sad day, but I swapped my Bio Verdict out for a fresh Fuzion Verdict.

Fairways: No change.

Drivers: Bought a Opto-X Ballista Pro to try and cover headwind drives and pair with my regular Ballista, but weather conditions haven't been great for testing out new distance drivers. Jury is still out. I've been liking my Photon for bad weather though. It's a nice controllably overstable driver with a relatively small rim. Once the weather clears up, I'd like to try bagging Ballista Pro/Ballista (x2) for max distance and Photon/Wave/Vanish for control drivers. That might seem like a lot of molds, but the MVP control drivers all feel the same in the hand and likewise the Ballista & Pro are very similar. So in a way it's almost like only bagging two molds, even though technically it's 5.

Snow has been heavier and footing has been worse. As such I'm relying more on mids and fairways lately. Current bag:

(3) Envy
(2) Zone
Verdict
(2) Emac Truth
Evidence
Warrant
Felon
(2) Getaway
(2) Escape
Hatchet
Wave
Vanish
(3) Trespass

Putters: no change

Mids: Added a fifth midrange, a beat Bio Emac, since I'm throwing mids a lot more right now. Stability-wise it's halfway between my main workhorse Lucid Emac and my Evidence. Also, since flippy discs have a tendency to get lost in the snow and I don't want to lose my Tursas, I switched out the Tursas for a Warrant.

Fairways: Bio Getaway has gotten a touch too flippy. Added a fresh one to the bag.

Drivers: Too much snow, I can't get those Ballistas up to speed anymore. Pulled them out and replaced with Trespasses. Photon has too much overlap with my Trespasses, so it's on the shelf for now too. Will readdress drivers when the weather improves.

The snow is gone! After a decent amount of field work and a few rounds of golf, I'm pretty happy with my bag.

(3) Envy
(2) Zone
Verdict
Emac Truth
(2) Evidence
Tursas
Felon
(2) Getaway
(2) Escape
Hatchet
Wave
Ballista Pro
(2) Ballista

Putters: no change

Mids: Swapped the beat Emac out for a fresh Evidence; if I need space in the bag, this is the most likely disc to get cut since I'm pretty comfortable just carrying 4 mids. Also, now that losing discs in the snow is no longer a concern, I put the Tursas back in and took the Warrant out.

Fairways: No change

Drivers: LOTS of changes. Really loving the Ballista mold as a max distance bomber. Ballista Pro added as a headwind fighter. Wave filling multiple roles for me -- powered down control drives, powered up turnovers, tailwind drives, etc.

First tourney of the year (and only my second overall) coming up this Saturday. Bag is set:

(3) Envy
(2) Zone
Verdict
Emac Truth
(2) Evidence
Tursas
Felon
(2) Getaway
(2) Escape
(2) Hatchet
Wave
(2) Ballista Pro
(2) Ballista

Putters: Lost my main throwing Envy. Still getting used to its replacement, which finishes much more stable.

Mids: No change.

Fairways: Added a fresh Hatchet, because the course for the tourney has lots of straight and gentle turnover lines.

Drivers: I've been locked in on carrying a pair of Ballista Pros, a Ballista, and a Wave. Will add a backup Ballista for the tourney because there are chances to lose a main distance diver (blind shots, forced water carries etc).

I don't like carrying any more than 20 discs, but I think having some backups is prudent for the tournament. So 22 it is.

Second tournament of the season coming up this Saturday:

Proxy
(2) Envy
(2) Zone
Verdict
Emac Truth
(2) Evidence
Tursas
Teebird
Felon
(2) Getaway
(2) Escape
Hatchet
Wave
CD3
Wraith
(2) Ballista

Putters: Baseline Envy got a touch too beat in. Replaced with a premium plastic Proxy; same hand feel and HSS as Envy, but finishes dead straight.

Mids: No change.

Fairways: Added a Teebird for water holes. Pulled the second Hatchet, which was really more of a backup anyway.

Drivers: I've decided I don't have the power to consistently control Ballista Pros. Replacing the 2 B Pros with a Wraith and CD3 for now, which are slower and more controllable and with nearly the same distance potential. If the afternoon round gets extra windy then I'll swap out the backup Ballista for an Enforcer.

22 discs again. I've been comfortably playing with 19 lately, but carrying a fresh Escape, water disc, and backup max distance driver makes sense for tourney season.

No tourneys on the horizon and I can't make leagues night most weeks, so I've got a chance to tinker a bit with my bag.

Proxy
(2) Envy
(2) Zone
Verdict
Emac Truth
Evidence
Tursas
Felon
Getaway
(2) Stag
Hatchet
Wave
CD3
Wraith
PDx
Ballista
Ballista Pro

Mids: Pulled the fresher Evidence to make room for driver tinkering. Will likely go back to carrying 5 mids once I've settled the driver situation again.

Fairways: I can't believe this, but I'm not bagging Escapes for basically the first time since I started playing. I still love the mold, but I've started throwing CD3's more which are taking away some Escape shots. Want to experiment with a workhorse fairway that's a touch slower to create more separation from the CD3's, so I'm giving a couple Stags (one stable and domey, one more workable and flatter) a shot.

Drivers: Relying heavily on Speed 11's right now -- Wraith, a couple CD3's, and Wave. Picked up a PDx in the same speed class to test out as a true wind fighter. I'm throwing my warp speed discs much more sparingly, and right now that's one Ballista Pro and one Ballista.

Proxy
(2) Envy
(2) Zone
Verdict
Emac Truth
(2) Evidence
Felon
(2) Getaway
(2) Stag
Hatchet
Wave
CD3
PDx
Shryke
Raider

Mids: My oldest Evidence finally beat in enough to kick the Tursas out of the bag.

Fairways: The Stag experiment has gone well. They've officially kicked out Escapes.

Drivers: The experiment continues -- now testing out a Raider and Shryke for the first time. CD3 gets thrown more than any other driver right now.

This is basically my end of year recap, since the next time my bag changes will likely be to disc down in the winter due slippery conditions. So here it is, the discs that proved themselves enough to stay in the bag through all of my 2019 tinkering.

Crown
Proxy
Envy
(1-2) Zone
Verdict
(1-2) Emac Truth
(1-2) Evidence
(0-1) Tursas
(0-1) Felon
(2-3) Getaway
(1-2) Stag
Hatchet
(0-1) Wave
(1-2) CD3
(0-1) PDx
(1-2) Shryke
(1-2) Raider

Putters: I went back to putting with a BT Medium Crown. Beaded putters just feel better to me when inside the circle. The Jawbreaker Zone comes in and out of the bag, which makes me sad because I love that mold/plastic combo. But there are just times where I don't really need a beat in Zone in the bag. I always carry Ti Zone/Glow Envy/Neutron Proxy.

Mids: I've got 6 mids that I'm really comfortable with: Verdict/Emac/beat Emac/Evidence/beat Evidence/Tursas. Probably my most common lineup has been Verdict/Emac/beat Emac/beat Evidence, but there are times I throw in a Tursas for hyzerflip-to-turn or a fresh Evidence for a pure dead straight flight.

Fairways: I've dabbled with dropping Felons (other than on really windy days, in which a Firebird/Felon/Ahti type disc is a must). Lately I've been bagging either Getaway x3/Stag/Hatchet, or Getaway x2/Stag x2/Hatchet. I've got a small stack in each of those molds that I can trust to give me slightly different lines.

Drivers: This competition will probably pick up again next year. The beefcake disc is settled (PDx) for windy days, and I've been really liking CD3s for controlled distance. But I probably don't need to carry both a Wave and G* Shryke, nor do I need to carry both a slightly worked in Raider and a fresh/domey Shryke.

Off-season update: Tinkering right now with putters and slower drivers. Current bag is --

Zone
Crown
(2) Judge
Verdict
(2) Emac Truth
Evidence
Tursas
Felon
(3) Getaway
Stag
Hatchet
(2) Wraith
Trespass
Wave
Vanish

Putters: Testing Classic Blend Judges for putts, approach, and drives. Also trying Crowns out in a new role as a stable driving putter. Basically trying to use a Crown as a "Judge Pro," but primarily leaning on Zones and Judges.

Mids: No real change, still basically swapping in and out the same 6 mids to fill 4-5 slots. I've been leaning on hyzerflip turnovers more, so the Tursas has been seeing lots of work.

Fairways: Hatchet is seeing more love now that we're in winter season, similar to my Tursas for midrange shots. Otherwise no real changes here.

Drivers: Back to speed 11 adventures for the winter...I forgot how fun a Vanish is for long hyzerflips! I may force myself to stay at this speed class for 2020. Wraiths/Trespasses are nearly as long as Raiders/Shrykes for me, and I do throw them more controllably.

My current bag thoughts as we get closer to the new season—

Putters: Zones & Judges. Maybe an Envy or Crown.
Zones are a lock for OS approaches and short drives. 95% chance I putt with Judges this year, and also use them as a workable, slow, approach disc and for straight putter drives. Not sure whether I will bag a stable driving putter to split the gap between a Jawbreaker Zone and a Judge…if I do, then Envy or Crown are the most likely candidates.

Mids: Verdict, Emac Truths, Evidences, & Tursas
I don't anticipate changing any mids for 2020. Verdict and Tursas on the bookends, and some combo of fresh Emac/beat Emac/fresh Evidence/beat Evidence as the workhorse mids.

Fairways: Getaways, Stags, & Hatchet. Maybe a Felon.
Getaways and Stags as workhorses in 2020, just like in 2019. Hatchets for big turnovers and hyzerflips. I carried a Felon as my utility OS disc for the past couple years, but I'm tinkering with cutting the Felon and bagging a utility OS driver (PDx) instead in 2020.

Drivers: Trespass. PDx, Wraith, Raider, Wave, & Vanish are still under consideration.
Trespasses are locked in as my primary distance driver mold due to their combo of distance and reliability. Will bag either a Wave or Vanish as a more US complement to the Trespass, maybe both. I go back and forth on whether Wraiths or Raiders are a better OS complement. Testing out the PDx for utility OS duties. I think I've eliminated Shrykes, CD3s, and Ballistas from bag consideration…both are incredibly long when thrown perfect, but Shrykes are uncomfortable and come out of my hand inconsistently, while Ballistas are tough to get the perfect speed/hyzer angle combo and are prone to excessive flipping. CD3s just don't go much further than my Getaways, so there's no point in bagging them.

Elevation change! I'm now enjoying life in Utah, which means my discs are all flying more stable than in the good ol' Midwest. I'm re-learning my discs all over again as a result. Bag is still in flux round-to-round, so this is another "thoughts" post rather than a specific list of what's currently ITB.

Putters: Zones & Judges.
No need for a more stable, Envy-like, driving putter since my Lucid-X Judge flies plenty stable at this higher elevation. This is the part of my bag that locked in the quickest up here. Ti Zone, beat JB Zone, and LX Zone for throwing and approaches. Fresh Blend Judge for in the circle. Beat Blend Judge for understable throwing/approaches and longer putts.

Mids: Emac Truths, Evidences, & Tursas. Maybe Verdict.
Same molds as before, but the amount of use for each disc has changed. Tursas has become a workhorse for me. Verdict sometimes gets thrown on flicks if I can't decide between flicking a Zone or Felon, but I've basically stopped throwing it backhand. Lucid Emacs now fly like Verdicts used to, and Bio Emacs now fly like Lucids used to. My old beat up Evidence, which was just getting a bit too finicky for me before the move, now flies like new! It has gone from nearly out of the bag to being one of my most thrown discs. Still a lot to decide regarding individual discs, but I don't anticipate adding any new molds to the equation. Might drop the Verdict though.

Fairways: Felons, Getaways, Stags, & Hatchet.
Oddly enough, I throw Felons a lot more now, which is counter-intuitive. The added stability I'm getting up here has made my ugly forehand shot actually kinda usable. So I've gone from bagging Felons situationally to sometimes even carrying two. Getaways, Stags, and Hatchets all still get regular work.

Drivers: Trespass. PDx, Raider, Wave, & Vanish are still under consideration.
There's a lot more woods courses here, so I find myself reaching for a disc I can control more often than something for true max distance. As such my drivers aren't getting out of the bag a whole lot. When they do, a fresh Moonshine Trespass and a slightly worked in Fuzion Trespass can handle most duties. I'll probably carry either a Wave or Vanish if I want something less stable, but there's so little wind here that having multiple "tailwind driver" options doesn't seem necessary. Speaking of no wind, my utility OS PDx is likely to be sidelined. Raiders still might find a home in the bag…there are just certain lines that are easier to hit with a beat-in Raider compared to a fresh Trespass.

Overall bag composition:
Last year I typically carried 4-5 putters, 4-5 mids, 5-6 fairways, and 5-6 drivers. Speed and stability were quite useful in the Nebraska winds. I see myself leaning more on slower discs this year. Probably 5 putters, 5 mids, 6 fairways, and only 3-4 drivers. Plus one "flex" slot that changes based on course, if I'm trying out new discs, etc.

Last edited:
Bag tinkering is complete for now. I am going to try rolling with this for 2020:

(3) Judge
(2) Zone
(2) Emac Truth
Evidence
(2) Tursas
(2) Felon
Getaway
(2) Stag
Hatchet
(3) Trespass
Vanish

Putters: Two Classic Blend Judges (might switch to Prime plastic in the summer), one for in the circle and one for understable approaches/drives and long putts. Lucid-X Judge for stable putter drives. A beat-in Jawbreaker Zone plus a Ti Zone to cover Zone things.

Mids: I will sometimes sub in a Verdict (for wind) or fresh Evidence (for heavy woods) in lieu of one of the Emacs or Tursas. Basically I have seven mids that I'm confident in, and bag the five that seem most needed that day.

Fairways: Same molds as last year, just a slightly different ratio. The woods courses plus elevation-enabled stability have me throwing flick shots a lot more now, so I've got a pair of Felons in the bag. Hatchet, worked-in Stag, and fresh Stag are tunnel carvers. Only carrying one Getaway compared to the 2-3 last year since I'm no longer playing in Nebraska winds.

Drivers: Fresh and worked-in Trespasses as the main throwers. Vanish as the understable bomber. I've decided to go with a Lucid-X Trespass as the overstable bookend, but really I'd be fine going back to the PDx if needed. The L-X Trespass is just a touch longer/less overstable than the PDx, and gives me a consistent handfeel with my other drivers.

Last edited:
Another month, another update.

(2) Judge
Berg
Zone
Drone
(2) Emac Truth
Evidence
(2) Tursas
(2) Felon
Getaway
(2) Stag
Hatchet
(3) Trespass
Vanish

Putters: Trying out a K3 Berg in lieu of my beat in JB Zone. So far I'm liking the slower flight, which makes it a tad easier to dial in approaches. Not sure if it will stick in the bag or not. Also temporarily sidelining the Lucid-X Judge so I can beat in a fresh Classic Blend Judge quicker.

Mids: I'd been noticing a gap specifically when throwing forehand, where I needed a bit more distance than I can stretch a Zone but needed less fade/skip then I get from a Felon. I dusted off an old Drone and it fits that gap well. Pretty much a forehand-only disc for me though.

Fairways: No change.

Drivers: No change.

Mini-update:

-Berg is definitely in the bag as an approach disc wonder. It is shaving strokes off my scores. Can't believe I never tried out a speed 1 disc before...I had no idea what I was missing.
-Drone is still in the bag, for now. I've started using it backhand for short spike hyzers, in addition to using it for its more obvious forehand abilities. It's still not a heavily used disc for me though, so I could see this falling back out of the bag.
-Just yesterday I put a Proxy back in the bag. It is such a unique disc, with incredible HSS for a putter while also finishing with very little fade. I feel like most of my bad holes lately have been when I get in trouble off the tee on tunnel shots. The Proxy was born for tunnel shots, so I'm giving it another chance in a limited role.

End of May update.

Berg
(3) Judge
Proxy
Zone
Justice
(2) Emac Truth
Evidence
Tursas
Felon
(2) Getaway
Stag
Hatchet
(3) Trespass
Vanish

Putters: Berg continues to be a stroke saver for me on stable approaches and short drives. Proxy is nice to have back in the bag for dead straight shots, although it annoys me because it is breaking up my Classic Blend Judge cycle.

Mids: Picked up a Justice in a trade and am testing it out.

Fairways: No real change. Still the same four workhorses -- Lucid-X Felon predominately for flick shots, seasoned Getaway for long shots with finish, seasoned Stag for flip-to-flat, and beat Hatchet for flip-to-turnover. Currently I have a fresh Getaway as a fifth fairway, but just as often I carry an extra of one of the other three molds.

Drivers: No change.