• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

April 12-19 vacation through Louisville, Indy, Chicago, and Western Michigan

Deuces

Par Member
Quick outline of the trip.

April 12 and 13th in the Louisville area to hit Charlie Vettiner, Iroquois, Seviren Lang, The Fun Farm, and any others I have time for. I'm flying solo for this part of the trip so if anyone is available to meet up for a round and would be kind enough to show me around, I would really appreciate it.

April 14th in Indianapolis to play Mohawk in the morning(9 or 10ish), eat good food, and see the town. Again, if anyone is available to meet up for a round and be our guide, we would appreciate it.

April 15th, 16th, 17th in the Chicago area. I've never been to a city this big and honestly have very little idea of what to do other than see the museums, aquarium, maybe catch a Bulls game, and eat at many of the places featured on the food network. I've noticed that most of the courses seem to be south of the city, but am not dying to see any one course. I'm very much open to suggestions here and our schedule will be based upon the weather. My goal is to only play 1 course a day here each morning then go enjoy the city.

April 18th and 19th in Western Michigan. Playing Flip City, and Leviathan here since they've both been on my wish list for a long, long time. I've noticed that there are people here that recommend Beauty, Beast, and Giant as well as they are all really close. This will be the most disc golf centric part of our trip. Hopefully I will have paced myself up to this point and will be able to play 3 rounds a day and will be able to see 6 courses in this area. I may have a friend driving over from OH to join us, but we would love to have a local guide if anyone has the time to show us around your courses.

Please just PM me if you're available to show us around one of these courses, or if you have any suggestions for us to do while we are in the Chicago area.

Thanks so much! :hfive:

Well crap... Bulls and Cubs games are both out since they are playing away during the time we'll be in town. :(

for the chicago area you will have to drive outside of the city for any good disc golf. it really isnt that far out of the way depending on which way you are coming into the city.

if time permits, go to highland park in joliet, IL. that is the best course in chicagoland.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3021

Get deep dish pizza as well in chicago. I recomend Lou Malnatis, Ginos East, or Giordanos.

also, you will not be dispointed with those coursed you have listed in michigan. i have played all those and they are top notch. remember to bring some cash cause they are all pay to pay though.

Where in the Chicago area are you staying?

Most of the worthwhile courses are pretty far (45 min+) from the city itself. If your staying in the suburbs vs downtown will affect which courses I'd recommend.

Quick outline of the trip.
April 18th and 19th in Western Michigan. Playing Flip City, and Leviathan here since they've both been on my wish list for a long, long time. I've noticed that there are people here that recommend Beauty, Beast, and Giant as well as they are all really close. This will be the most disc golf centric part of our trip. Hopefully I will have paced myself up to this point and will be able to play 3 rounds a day and will be able to see 6 courses in this area. I may have a friend driving over from OH to join us, but we would love to have a local guide if anyone has the time to show us around your courses.

Please just PM me if you're available to show us around one of these courses, or if you have any suggestions for us to do while we are in the Chicago area.

Thanks so much! :hfive:

Flip is 30-40mins from the Ludington courses, which are all super close. The Mitten Bar in Ludington has good beer & tunes at night. You'll probably pass a party store by Beauty/Beast/Goliath with good beer & a few discs. Don't skip the Beast or the Beauty while you're there. Have Fun!

Where in the Chicago area are you staying?

Most of the worthwhile courses are pretty far (45 min+) from the city itself. If your staying in the suburbs vs downtown will affect which courses I'd recommend.

We are planning on staying at least 30 minutes south of the city just because the downtown rates are a bit much. Hotels should be booked by this weekend. I'm really just struggling to find things to do that are unique to that area besides the afore mentioned museums and eating. We need other stuff to do in between meals :)

Flip is 30-40mins from the Ludington courses, which are all super close. The Mitten Bar in Ludington has good beer & tunes at night. You'll probably pass a party store by Beauty/Beast/Goliath with good beer & a few discs. Don't skip the Beast or the Beauty while you're there. Have Fun!

I have no doubt that Michigan is going to be a blast. My wife will walk em with me, but even if I'm playing alone, I'm playing every single one of them from the pro pads to get the complete experience just like we did at Idlewild and Flyboy. If you may never be there again, GO BIG!

for the chicago area you will have to drive outside of the city for any good disc golf. it really isnt that far out of the way depending on which way you are coming into the city.

if time permits, go to highland park in joliet, IL. that is the best course in chicagoland.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3021

Get deep dish pizza as well in chicago. I recomend Lou Malnatis, Ginos East, or Giordanos.

Thank you.

The white sox are in town those 3 days and are playing Boston Red Sox. That would be cool. Its calendar giveaway day all 3 games as well.

Go to Greek town and get gyros

Navy pier is fun

The Wrigleyville neighborhood by the cubs stadium is awesome if you wanna bar hop and see a bunch of hot chicks. I recomend the bar sluggers because they have batting cages in the bar so you can get hammered and hit baseballs.

There are several brewerys including revolution and goose island

The museums and aquarium are cool

Deep dish pizza

There are a few things to keep you guys busy.

The white sox are in town those 3 days and are playing Boston Red Sox. That would be cool. Its calendar giveaway day all 3 games as well.

Go to Greek town and get gyros

Navy pier is fun

The Wrigleyville neighborhood by the cubs stadium is awesome if you wanna bar hop and see a bunch of hot chicks. I recomend the bar sluggers because they have batting cages in the bar so you can get hammered and hit baseballs.

There are several brewerys including revolution and goose island

The museums and aquarium are cool

Deep dish pizza

There are a few things to keep you guys busy.

Thank you!

Better have prior contact with the guys at Mohawk before you get your heart set on it. It's in their backyards and is usually only open for events, like weekend tourneys and sunday doubles.

Pro Tip For Chicago Traffic: Travel in Chicago (especially by car) will take you at least twice as long as you might think it should. Avoid rush hours like the plague. Plan accordingly.

Okay, here's what I'd do if I were you:

Indy: Might want to add Hazel Landing Gold to your list, or at least consider it.

Chicago Disc: Really only decent option is take a day and go south to Joliet: Highland, Channahan, West Park (if it's dry-ish out), Trinity, Round Barn etc. are out that way. It's just about the best you'll get in Chicagoland, excepting maybe Grey Fox (up north quite a bit) or Oswego (not much else of quality around it).

Highland is the main course that MUST be played. It's very close to West Park and Trinity, and those three courses (or Channy mixed in) make for a solid if not spectacular day of discin'.

Re: Flip/Ma Co Courses. Mason County is a MUST HIT. Beauty is skippable, but Beast and ESPECIALLY Goliath are MUST PLAYS. Some people might get a bit wonky about the routing/flow first time through, but I navigated it no probs in dense fog the first time so it's definitely doable.

If you skip Leviathan longs (gotta be the longs) you don't ever deserve to disc again. ;)

Flip is Flip. It seems a lot of the "vibe" that put Flip on the map has receeded a bit in recent years; others might disagree, and I certainly could be wrong, that's just my impression from the last couple of times up there vs. my first several times through. Not a reflection at all on Bill, more on the mass of discers (some of them disrespectful towards Bill's property) that a top ten course attracts.

Courses on the way that might be worth your time:

Lemon Lake Gold, Rogers Lakewood, Shore Acres (skippable but solid), Whitehall (ditto), Branstrom (ditto), and if you can get in, Blue Gill (a SUPER awesome private course south of Grand Rapids).

Good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to hit me up! :cool:

but even if I'm playing alone, I'm playing every single one of them from the pro pads to get the complete experience just like we did at Idlewild and Flyboy. If you may never be there again, GO BIG!

Good man! :thmbup: :clap: :cool:

Better have prior contact with the guys at Mohawk before you get your heart set on it. It's in their backyards and is usually only open for events, like weekend tourneys and sunday doubles.

If Mohawk is unavailable on that day, which course would you recommend I play instead?

Pro Tip For Chicago Traffic: Travel in Chicago (especially by car) will take you at least twice as long as you might think it should. Avoid rush hours like the plague. Plan accordingly.

Okay, here's what I'd do if I were you:

Indy: Might want to add Hazel Landing Gold to your list, or at least consider it.

Chicago Disc: Really only decent option is take a day and go south to Joliet: Highland, Channahan, West Park (if it's dry-ish out), Trinity, Round Barn etc. are out that way. It's just about the best you'll get in Chicagoland, excepting maybe Grey Fox (up north quite a bit) or Oswego (not much else of quality around it).

Highland is the main course that MUST be played. It's very close to West Park and Trinity, and those three courses (or Channy mixed in) make for a solid if not spectacular day of discin'.

Re: Flip/Ma Co Courses. Mason County is a MUST HIT. Beauty is skippable, but Beast and ESPECIALLY Goliath are MUST PLAYS. Some people might get a bit wonky about the routing/flow first time through, but I navigated it no probs in dense fog the first time so it's definitely doable.

If you skip Leviathan longs (gotta be the longs) you don't ever deserve to disc again. ;)

Flip is Flip. It seems a lot of the "vibe" that put Flip on the map has receeded a bit in recent years; others might disagree, and I certainly could be wrong, that's just my impression from the last couple of times up there vs. my first several times through. Not a reflection at all on Bill, more on the mass of discers (some of them disrespectful towards Bill's property) that a top ten course attracts.

Courses on the way that might be worth your time:

Lemon Lake Gold, Rogers Lakewood, Shore Acres (skippable but solid), Whitehall (ditto), Branstrom (ditto), and if you can get in, Blue Gill (a SUPER awesome private course south of Grand Rapids).

Good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to hit me up! :cool:

Incredible Jukeshoe. Thank you so much for all of this. :hfive:

One last thing of note:

If you're staying 30 minutes south of downtown, a day trip to Lemon Lake/RLW would beat most (if not all) course combos in Chicago.

Edit: No probs, mang! If you need any further info, hit me up...if I don't know the answer someone I know probably will. :)

As far as Louisville courses, if you must skip one it should be the fun farm. Mohawk has weekly league Sundays at 2:00. Since you are planning one day in Indy play Hazel landing, the DISCatchers are in the short positions. Since your a baseball fan check the Indianapolis Indians schedule and see if you can get a game in at Victory Field downtown. If you are into photography check out the Ansel Adams private collection at the Eiteljorg Museum. On the way to Chicago stop off and play Honeybear in the Peru area, a sweet little course with DG history.

Latest posts