• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Are Gyro discs less forgiving?

. . . Craves, Axis, Hex, Proxy, Insanity....all glide machines.

I agree with all of those, except I never jibed with Craves.

I will say that newer mold Insanity (except Fission) and Wave are much less glidey than older versions, at least at my increasingly modest distance.

I prefer the older versions of those discs, and I still have one last older Neutron Wave that flies the way I love. Unfortunately I have a bin full of stable, non-glidey Neutron and Fission Waves, and I am auditioning replacement distance driver candidates.

Or in my case, "distance". :rolleyes:

The extra weight on the outside of gyro discs causes them to hold straight longer, for as long as spin can keep them there. When the spin drops and the fade portion kicks in, it will cause a harder more abrupt fade due to having more weight on the rim. Like how drivers fade out harder compared to putters since more weight is in the rim, gyro molds will fade out a bit harder than no-gyro molds when they do start fading. They are very useful to shape certain holes, as their flight shapes may only be accomplished by stalling out another disc, or relying on not parking the basket and hitting the long putt.

If anyone has thrown a gateway sabre, that is an anti-gyro mold driver where the weight is proportioned closer to the center of the disc, and it's fade is distinctly different than most drivers. It really likes high gliding shots and does not fade out hard even when stalled out. Great for learning confidence in high line shapes.

I've gone to a mainly gyro bag...why?

Do they go further....not for me.
Do they get more spin....not for me (at least I haven't noticed a difference)
Do they hold their line better....not really.

So why have I gone mostly gyro? I'm mainly a forehand thrower and the MVP/Axiom discs are really flat topped. Over time, I've found that I can be more accurate throwing forehands if the disc is flat topped. I can even throw flat topped discs backhand, but I do have a few domey discs for my backhands (some gyro, some non gyro).

I just haven't found any other brand where a large number of discs have little to no dome.

And there's the power level marker right there haha, forgive me if im paraphrasing wrong..

Twmcoy throws corvettes 500' he doesn't like the wave and Mayhem, Mike C I think is pushing back up to 400 ish and loves the Mayhem, crave and axis. I'm barely back up to 300' and I had trouble powering up my old pp crave and the axis but I love me some waves and uplinks for more distance than i deserve because of their huge glide. I keep a Mayhem around for playing in gale force head winds.

Point is... MVP really means it with their speed rating, I think the people setting the numbers are 400' throwers. I might be able to cheat a 143-150g fission photon but a 157g-160g photon is getting beefy for me, the wave (vanish?) is the only 11 speed in my wheelhouse.

I actually do like the Mayhem, for the most part. I've thrown several that are really nice. However, sometimes you get a clunker that just won't turn or glide. They tend to be flat as well. I feel like the Mayhem leaves a little bit of distance behind. Whenever I have a Mayhem in the field for practice it's never my longest disc.

Last time I threw in the field I had a 167g neutron Octane (lightest Octane I've seen), and it was great. It turned decently, glided well, and absolutely bombed. Several 450'+ bombs. Longest Octane I've thrown.

My favorite gyro driver for max distance is the Excite. It reminds me of a Katana. Very fast, lots of glide, and some fairly easy initial turn.

I like the Tantrum as well. Very fast, a little turn, and good glide. Max distance driver for big arms.

I couldn't get anything out of the Teleport. I've thrown 3 of them, and they were all the same. Very overstable, no turn, average glide, lots of fade.

The Wave seems like a worse version of a Tern. Good speed and glide, but a super finicky flight. The Tern is also a lot longer.

The Wave seems like a worse version of a Tern. Good speed and glide, but a super finicky flight. The Tern is also a lot longer.

I have heard that about that disc, lots of my friends throw em. I think the wave is very specific for 300'-365' throwers to add 20'.

I'm glad some of em bomb for ya. I also like the octane in 155 Fizzy with a dome. Haha. I wasn't meaning you didn't like gyro just the difference of opinion from people in different hundred foot tiers.

Maybe. I have a max weight Champ Tern I'll have to try to compare to a Wave. For me the Wave has always been a reliable, huge S-curve driver whereas I throw 159-161 Star Terns for pure, easy max-D. For me those Terns are a nightmare to control in any wind, but they go forEVER!

Something about the way overmolded discs handle spin and torque just matches my personal throwing style really well.
I think this is the biggest thing. They either work for the way you throw or they don't. As others have said, I keep a mix in my bag and tend to pull non-overmold stuff for touch throws. Given that I prefer to try to throw at a consistent speed and angle and have numerous molds that fly differently this isn't an issue for me. If you are mold minimalist and/or a player with better touch than I have, they may not be your cup of tea.

Personally I like cycling my bag to keep it fresh and find what's clicking for me. I'm mostly a casual player, so there's no real incentive to buy 10 Raptors of the same run. If I lose my Raptor I'll go grab a Firebird or Fireball off my shelf of backups and be fine after a round or two.

As I've sat here and thought about it, there's only one mold that has never left my bag since it's release, and that's the Envy.

Last edited:
So, by some of the logic posted here, if I'm a Wave thrower and wanted to keep it in the MVP family, I might have better results with something like the Streamline Trace or Jet? Just curious everyone's thoughts.

And there's the power level marker right there haha, forgive me if im paraphrasing wrong..

Twmcoy throws corvettes 500' he doesn't like the wave and Mayhem, Mike C I think is pushing back up to 400 ish and loves the Mayhem, crave and axis. I'm barely back up to 300' and I had trouble powering up my old pp crave and the axis but I love me some waves and uplinks for more distance than i deserve because of their huge glide. I keep a Mayhem around for playing in gale force head winds.

Point is... MVP really means it with their speed rating, I think the people setting the numbers are 400' throwers. I might be able to cheat a 143-150g fission photon but a 157g-160g photon is getting beefy for me, the wave (vanish?) is the only 11 speed in my wheelhouse.

400' with a Mayhem would be my flick. Backhand is back up to 500-525' FYI.

The Wave was always more understable than I'm interested in for a work horse. Teleports and Octanes are my 2nd and 3rd favorite distance overmolded discs. I've tried the Excite and Delirium too but haven't found the consistency with those molds as I've developed with my Mayhems. May just need more throws with them.

Interesting. I switched to the Wave specifically because it's so consistent for me. I've got a bunch of the 2022 OTB Open Fission and Eclipse Waves at about 172 g. Fission is reliably straight not too much turn or fade. Eclipse is more stable with a consistent fade at the end.

Now, my golf line distance is only about 300 max. I think that might be a big part of it. It could also be the run and/or the plastic. They have had several different fission plastics and the newest stuff is apparently much better and more like the OG fission. I have a Neutron Vanish that's quite understable for me and finicky is a word I'd use to describe it. Not sure how old it is as I picked it up from a buddy.

I actually do like the Mayhem, for the most part. I've thrown several that are really nice. However, sometimes you get a clunker that just won't turn or glide. They tend to be flat as well. I feel like the Mayhem leaves a little bit of distance behind. Whenever I have a Mayhem in the field for practice it's never my longest disc.

Last time I threw in the field I had a 167g neutron Octane (lightest Octane I've seen), and it was great. It turned decently, glided well, and absolutely bombed. Several 450'+ bombs. Longest Octane I've thrown.

My favorite gyro driver for max distance is the Excite. It reminds me of a Katana. Very fast, lots of glide, and some fairly easy initial turn.

I like the Tantrum as well. Very fast, a little turn, and good glide. Max distance driver for big arms.

I couldn't get anything out of the Teleport. I've thrown 3 of them, and they were all the same. Very overstable, no turn, average glide, lots of fade.

That's interesting how different our experience with Teleports has been. Mine have given me my longest measured throws (550-600'), and though I don't bag them for courses they're consistently among my furthest flying discs in the field.

I like when I find the no turn Mayhems. That's how my plasma one is. It's perfect for cycling with my true to the numbers neutrons and protons that'll flip up and glide for me. Then my skullboy SE Mayhem is a flip machine for some reason, so I have fairly overstable, neutral and understable covered with the same mold without even having to beat them in.

In this case I'm glad MVP is a little inconsistent at times ;)

That's interesting how different our experience with Teleports has been. Mine have given me my longest measured throws (550-600'), and though I don't bag them for courses they're consistently among my furthest flying discs in the field.

I like when I find the no turn Mayhems. That's how my plasma one is. It's perfect for cycling with my true to the numbers neutrons and protons that'll flip up and glide for me. Then my skullboy SE Mayhem is a flip machine for some reason, so I have fairly overstable, neutral and understable covered with the same mold without even having to beat them in.

In this case I'm glad MVP is a little inconsistent at times ;)

The Teleport has probably been the most disappointing/frustrating disc I've ever tried. I have 3. 1 has a good dome, and the other 2 are flat. IDK the weights, but I'd assume max weight (or near it).

All of them fly the same, and not well. For a disc that's supposed to have glide and high speed turn, these simply don't. They fly like Apes or Nuke OSs for me. Even when I wrench a Teleport over anny it won't do much, and fights out of it immediately. My max distance with the Teleport is probably a shade under 400'. Any other fast, glidey driver would add at least 60' to that.

I even took one of the Teleports to sea level in TX one time, and didn't have much luck with it there either.

The Tantrum was quite a bit better for me, and I liked it more immediately than the Teleport. Funny thing is, they have practically identical flight numbers.

Last edited:
The furthest I've ever thrown anything is about 500'. I can't do that distance often. I'd have to throw a roller across dead grass to get to 600'.

Last edited:
The Teleport has probably been the most disappointing/frustrating disc I've ever tried. I have 3. 1 has a good dome, and the other 2 are flat. IDK the weights, but I'd assume max weight (or near it).

All of them fly the same, and not well. For a disc that's supposed to have glide and high speed turn, these simply don't. They fly like Apes or Nuke OSs for me. Even when I wrench a Teleport over anny it won't do much, and fights out of it immediately. My max distance with the Teleport is probably a shade under 400'. Any other fast, glidey driver would add at least 60' to that.

I even took one of the Teleports to sea level in TX one time, and didn't have much luck with it there either.

The Tantrum was quite a bit better for me, and I liked it more immediately than the Teleport. Funny thing is, they have practically identical flight numbers.

Haha, I have a Teleport with a little bit of dome and it's a really nice flip up and ride with some finish at the end max distance driver. As a matter of fact my longest throw ever on flat ground was with it, 485', and I outdrove the field and landed on a hill, could've maybe pushed just past 500'.

As far as MVP discs with dome goes, some of my Nitros have a decent bit. The one I bag is probably the MVP driver with the most dome I've owned to date. Nice glide and a hard, consistent fade. Good compliment to my Mayhems for when I want to sacrifice some distance for control / wind fighting abikity, while not being a totally glideless meathook for me.

The furthest I've ever thrown anything is about 500'. I can't do that distance often. I'd have to throw a roller across dead grass to get to 600'.

That distance certainly isn't typical for me. I've got 450' on command and generally have no problems hitting 500', but past that is hit or miss for sure. That's why I stick to Mayhems and aim for 450-500' on distance shots that trying to bomb Teleports past that on golf lines.

The current teleports are pretty beefy. I definitely don't see any turn with them if I throw them under 400'. The testers I was initially sent when they were new flew a bit more understable and were easier to get max D S curves out of.

Either way its a very sensitive mold when it comes to nose angle. Any hint of nose up and it stalls. My best throws with the current versions are focusing on nose down while getting a flat throw with a lot of snap. It'll induce a little turn and typically glide out to 500-530', a little longer every once in a while, but I definitrly haven't touched 600' since I started playing again this year.

I think I somewhat disagree with this. I have always had some decent spin with my throwing style, even though I don't throw all that far, but I can almost always get the "intended" flight out of a disc at 250' or at 350'. What I mean by that is, with the proper spin, a PP Crave will fly dead straight when I throw it dead straight. A newer Hokom Crave flies like -1/1 with a baby S curve both powered down at 250 and at my current max power at around 330-350. I noticed that I am even better at this now that I throw the Glitch. At 100' the Glitch goes dead straight. At 250' it still goes dead straight. More than that and I usually mess something up on my form and it drifts or turns over, but if I can get it clean, it goes dead straight.

I do think there are speeds where this starts to fall apart though. Wraths and Insanities tend to fly true to numbers for me, with the exception of Insanities with higher PLH, etc, which I attribute to the disc and not my form. I can throw Photons and Vanished pretty true to numbers, but start to see more inconsistencies with them. Anything faster and it falls apart for me. But, if you ever watch me throw, you'll probably see why. I get plenty of pop from my wrist, but my pull through is not fast. I've had people comment in the past "how do you get your disc to go so far throwing so slow?" And by far, they're still talking only 300', but it still looks like it shouldn't get that far. Anyway, the point is, I think generating spin on the disc happens in a lot of ways, but proper spin really does get a more intended flight path, regardless of velocity thrown.

I've gone to a mainly gyro bag...why?

Do they go further....not for me.
Do they get more spin....not for me (at least I haven't noticed a difference)
Do they hold their line better....not really.

So why have I gone mostly gyro? I'm mainly a forehand thrower and the MVP/Axiom discs are really flat topped. Over time, I've found that I can be more accurate throwing forehands if the disc is flat topped. I can even throw flat topped discs backhand, but I do have a few domey discs for my backhands (some gyro, some non gyro).

I just haven't found any other brand where a large number of discs have little to no dome.

I have commented about it before on these forums, but a long time ago I was mostly throwing Trilogy when I first discovered MVP. I loved how the flatter profile felt in my hand compared to the bulkier and more domey Trilogy molds. I took a summer and created 2 bags of my core discs. 8 Trilogy molds in one bag and 6-7 MVP discs. (This was early on when MVP only had a small handful of discs) Anyway, I played several courses with both bags, some of them back to back in the same day, some across different days. What I found was, my scores were about the same each time. I saw maybe a 1-2 stroke difference on average, and it wasn't consistent on which one was which. Since I liked the flatter feeling of the MVP discs better, I switched most of my bag over to MVP with the exception of my XXX and Verdict, which were already flat and fairly thin, and my Wedge, which MVP just didn't make a slower disc that understable at the time and it was super useful as a get out of trouble disc for the wooded courses I played at the time.

That being said, I do think that MVP discs tend to lock onto their line better when given proper spin. But, that doesn't necessarily translate into better scores for me on most courses I play. I've just learned to work with the lines I get out of my discs no matter which ones I throw, and I think that's mostly just preference on what you want your lines to look like. I also think that Fission discs may tend to glide a bit more than their non-fission counterparts, though the recent blends of Fission are so slick and stiff, and inconsistent, I don't really like throwing them anyway.

But yeah, flatter is better IMO, both FH and BH personally. I don't find I lose any distance missing the dome, I just like the hand feel better.

I think I somewhat disagree with this. I have always had some decent spin with my throwing style, even though I don't throw all that far, but I can almost always get the "intended" flight out of a disc at 250' or at 350'. What I mean by that is, with the proper spin, a PP Crave will fly dead straight when I throw it dead straight. A newer Hokom Crave flies like -1/1 with a baby S curve both powered down at 250 and at my current max power at around 330-350. I noticed that I am even better at this now that I throw the Glitch. At 100' the Glitch goes dead straight. At 250' it still goes dead straight. More than that and I usually mess something up on my form and it drifts or turns over, but if I can get it clean, it goes dead straight.

I do think there are speeds where this starts to fall apart though. Wraths and Insanities tend to fly true to numbers for me, with the exception of Insanities with higher PLH, etc, which I attribute to the disc and not my form. I can throw Photons and Vanished pretty true to numbers, but start to see more inconsistencies with them. Anything faster and it falls apart for me. But, if you ever watch me throw, you'll probably see why. I get plenty of pop from my wrist, but my pull through is not fast. I've had people comment in the past "how do you get your disc to go so far throwing so slow?" And by far, they're still talking only 300', but it still looks like it shouldn't get that far. Anyway, the point is, I think generating spin on the disc happens in a lot of ways, but proper spin really does get a more intended flight path, regardless of velocity thrown.

I have commented about it before on these forums, but a long time ago I was mostly throwing Trilogy when I first discovered MVP. I loved how the flatter profile felt in my hand compared to the bulkier and more domey Trilogy molds. I took a summer and created 2 bags of my core discs. 8 Trilogy molds in one bag and 6-7 MVP discs. (This was early on when MVP only had a small handful of discs) Anyway, I played several courses with both bags, some of them back to back in the same day, some across different days. What I found was, my scores were about the same each time. I saw maybe a 1-2 stroke difference on average, and it wasn't consistent on which one was which. Since I liked the flatter feeling of the MVP discs better, I switched most of my bag over to MVP with the exception of my XXX and Verdict, which were already flat and fairly thin, and my Wedge, which MVP just didn't make a slower disc that understable at the time and it was super useful as a get out of trouble disc for the wooded courses I played at the time.

That being said, I do think that MVP discs tend to lock onto their line better when given proper spin. But, that doesn't necessarily translate into better scores for me on most courses I play. I've just learned to work with the lines I get out of my discs no matter which ones I throw, and I think that's mostly just preference on what you want your lines to look like. I also think that Fission discs may tend to glide a bit more than their non-fission counterparts, though the recent blends of Fission are so slick and stiff, and inconsistent, I don't really like throwing them anyway.

But yeah, flatter is better IMO, both FH and BH personally. I don't find I lose any distance missing the dome, I just like the hand feel better.

I found a big difference between forehanding flattish and domey discs. With domey discs I found I had to put them on anny to release them flat. Trying to throw flat, I found the dome caused the disc to slip in my grip and end up on hyzer. It didn't matter how tightly I gripped it. The only solutions were to put it on anny so it would 'slip' to flat or use a fan grip. But flat discs....I never have that issue.

. ......

I can agree with this... how about 350' for the flight ratings or that they use a tester of appropriate power for the discs? A high snap rate also helps, I am totally with you on this. Before I switched my best drivers were esp forces at a blazing 340' often on 250' holes. Haha. I notice a lot of newer golfers lamenting about not jiving with gyro.

As far as domes, first off it's personal preference to hand feel. Generally a dome makes it less stable and more glidey with MVP... sort of. Rhythms for sure and teslas, octanes not so much. As I'm breaking in my flat rhythms they appear to go further because they fly a flatter straight line. Less wandering s. With a Comet a high dome generally means more glide but a little more hss to overcome, a break in period helps it become a huge glide machine. A flat comet is easier to control out of the box but is more finicky as it ages. IMO the shoulder on a comet is also a determining factor as much as dome.

Last edited:
I forgot until someone said Envy--yes, I have an Envy I throw upshots with. It's my throwing putter. That and an RPro Pig. The Pig is OS and softer plastic so it gives me a reliable flight with strong fade and sits down pretty well. The Envy tends to hold the line/angle I put it on and glides nicely. I don't know about spin rate. I'm usually throwing a touch shot inside 150', so it's not full power.

My reason for using those two discs is they are flat and shallow rim compared to other putters I've got and so I feel like my release is cleaner.

The envy is almost a separate brand on its own haha. Funny how many people forget they have "one".

And turns out I have a 158 g relay in my box O discs. My son uses it some. I may have to give it a shot again since I'm trying to throw lighter discs these days.