• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Artificial Turf Tee Pads

esdubya

Double Eagle Member
Hello DGCR. I'm comparing artificial turf to concrete for an 18 hole course installation here in the glove. I've heard nothing but good things about an artificial turf over tamped and framed crushed rock tee pad.

So first off, performance. How well do they last? How do they handle the snow/ice? I threw off the pad at The Grange and in the middle of summer it was dude sweet.

I've priced out artificial turf from http://www.artificialturfsupply.com/ and it comes to about $2 per sq. foot just for the turf. Compared to concrete at about <$1 per sq. foot it is a big jump in price.

I'm looking also for experience installing these types of pads, or finding an inexpensive source for the turf. I personally want to cover each pad with the old turf from Michigan Stadium, but I know that's not gonna happen.

Any helpful feedback is appreciated.

This is something I need to investigate too because it sounds to be a really good option. It is easier on the knees and joints is more easily moveable in the case of course changes, and would be an all weather option if it can stand up to snow and ice.

I've really liked artificial turf pads when they're done right. A cheap alternative to start is to make the same tamped base and put down carpet (you can get remnants cheap/free) until you get together the money for turf. It won't hold up forever, but it's a pretty good tee surface while it does.

Have you been to a ball golf course? In less than 6 months we were these things out because they needed to get replaced. We spin our feet even more than ball golfers do. I realy doubt they would hold up for a long enough time to make them worthwile. Just my 2 cents.

I am worried about durability though. Here in MI lots of people wear winter boots with sheet metal screws in the sole. works great on concrete, but I could see it being an issue on AT.

They have AT tee pads at one of the best courses I've played,Richmond Hill in Asheville, NC. As a player, I really liked the pads. How they hold up, now that I can't tell you. In the southeast, our biggest problem is water, and lately LOTS of that. We don't have snow issues. Hope that everything works out for you up there!

Hello DGCR.

I've priced out artificial turf from http://www.artificialturfsupply.com/ and it comes to about $2 per sq. foot just for the turf. Compared to concrete at about <$1 per sq. foot it is a big jump in price.

Any helpful feedback is appreciated.

Have you considered that you're still going to need a base to put the turf on. Given that I know little about installing turf, I expect that it would need to be glued to concrete to keep it from moving under your foot.

I take it that you've ruled out broom finished concrete because you're looking for something with drainage. Something I did on my steps was an exposed aggregate finished concrete. That and a slight slope allow water to drain and provide good traction when wet. It may not be the ideal tee box surface but it would drain and be durable. Granted turf would be better with snow. Just a thought.

The artificial turf pads I have played on are hit and miss. Some of them get kind of lumpy over time if not built well, and some of them have been pretty slick. Maybe as they age and get beat up they get more slippery. Not sure, but I personally prefer concrete.

Concrete has always been the best. I have been on turf and as they get old they wear down and get slick.

I do not know what it would cost but I played a course in PA that used asphalt. They were great! Maybe that could be a good way to go.

Donovan, I don't follow. You play a ball golf course with artificial turf tee boxes?

I think he's referring to driving ranges.

I was actually. I use this as an example because the place that people will be twisting their foor at will fairly close to the end and get lots of traffic on the front of the pad.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I am aware that I would need to build a solid base for the turf. It comes in rolls of 15 ft. wide so I'm thinking 5' x 10' pads framed in with 4"x4" wooden rails. The company recommends a base of crushed rock, then the turf is spread over and nailed down with landscaping spikes. If you glue it to concrete then you won't have any drainage. With the crushed rock base the water is allowed to drain directly down through the turf.

jrawk, thanks for that link I will be talking to David. It looks like he has positive things to say about it.

Concrete has always been the best. I have been on turf and as they get old they wear down and get slick.

I do not know what it would cost but I played a course in PA that used asphalt. They were great! Maybe that could be a good way to go.

Asphalt is ok when new and dry, but it breaks down much quicker than concrete and can be terribly slick when wet. I've not liked any of the asphalt tees I've found so far.

From David's blog post:

It is staked in the ground in 6 places with 1/2″ x 10″ screws with washers.

we tried to get it out of the ground a few weeks ago but would need a socket in order to remove it,, a claw hammer just wouldnt do.

So thats a pretty good thing when it comes to possible theft.

This sounds like a pretty good way to secure it down, I wonder what the "ground" was?

Last edited:
With the crushed rock base the water is allowed to drain directly down through the turf.

The turf must be some tough stuff. I'd think that crushed rock would act like an abrasive grit. If it holds up, it sounds like a very good way to go.

If I may offer a couple of suggestions from someone who's installed several rock roads and driveways:

A mat under the crushed rock will help to keep it from sinking. IIRC I've used a brand called "Petro-mat".

Going from a larger base rock to a smaller topping rock will also give a more stable installation.

Hope it works out for you.

I played a brand new course a couple weeks ago and it had one turf pad on the first hole, but I threw off of it a few times for warm up. I didn't mind it, definitely better than straight grass because it has a little more grip. But nothing beats concrete for me.

I think I would rather have a dirt teepad that was maintained then turf. Creates a more natural look and would have better grip for driving. I would think turf would get a little slick when wet.