• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Artificial Turf Tee Pads

I think I would rather have a dirt teepad that was maintained then turf. Creates a more natural look and would have better grip for driving. I would think turf would get a little slick when wet.

Turf is way better than dirt when wet. It's still grippy, and when installed right it drains well so it never stays that wet. It'll also never turn into a mud pit like dirt tees eventually do.

We put in a turfmat on one of the most damaged tees at our local course for around 6 months. (Local park manager had given permission, but the city park people wanted it pulled up again when they saw it.)

Turf-mats are IMHO the best Tee-surface there is. They work well in all weather conditions. We had ours up during cold season, and no matter the conditions they worked extremely well. There was no maintance needed once we had put it in, and afterwards you couldnt see any wear at all on the mat itself.

The disadvantage to turfmats, is that if you want it to be done well, it will take a bit of work.
We dug out in a depth of about 25cm. In this we filled sand and gravel that was repeateadly pounded/flattened. When we had refilled the hole we had created, we put the Turfmat on, and then distributed what was probably 200-300kg of fine sand on the whole mat. (5*3meters) This ensured that the mat didnt go anywhere at all. When the sand on the mat had been broomed all around, you could no longer see the sand.

It took 4-6 guys probably at least 4 hours to put it in, so quite time consuming, and preferably you need one of those machines that vibrates/flattens the sand/gravel.

i dont know what we used

we didnt use regular fly pads... im not sure the name or the price but it came in rolls and we ct them to length our selves... im sure it was half as much as fly pads at least... keep looking il try and found out particulars

I think there is a big difference between the green turf you buy at Home Depot and the artificial turf they use to make football fields. At Richmond Hill they have the later... and they have held up for years in terms of the turf surface. However, over time a few have gotten lumpy... but the club does a pretty good job of fixing them up when needed.
DSCJNKY