• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

At what mph does wind really become annoying?

Wind is annoying when it is constantly switching directions on you. You run up and start to throw with a tailwind, the disc leaves your hand, flips flat starts to rise...and the wind starts coming straight at you and turns it into a roller FFFFUUUUUU.

The opposite is just as bad, you throw a predator into the headwind with a ton of snap, the disc is starting to turn over you're secretly about to pee with excitement because this disc could go a country mile....then the wind stops or becomes a right to left wind and your predator immediately banks left into a bush.

\/\/

Remants of Earl gave us some tricky winds on Saturday at Hyzer Creek......... Hole 12 is this 700 ft downhill shot with the pin in a pocket across the creek.
Round 1 my drives does this crazy air-bounce-hyzer-flip and lands 25 past the 400 rock square in the middle of the fairway. Great upshot and i sink the birdie putt.
Round 2, same disc flips to the right and screams into the pine tree schule. Takes two shots to get back on the fairway. I take a 6. :doh:

a353f3a9.jpg

Played in Michigan's Upper Peninsula in August. Weather.com said 40 mph gusting to 50+ mph, and they weren't lying. My wraith (too much disc for me, frankly) was thrown about like a rag doll. I wish I hadn't lost my new DX FireChicken earlier in the week, cuz I wanted to see how many G's it could take.

But I can't say it was annoying. It was a blast, and a real good feeling when you read the wind right. I was finally able to explain to my bro, through example, high speed disc-headwind vs low speed disc-tailwind effect.

Although I wouldn't have thought it possible, the round gave me even more respect for my Champ Gazelle, too. It was the only driver I threw that didn't get blown away like a paper plate.

I'm only annoyed by winds when they're whipping up waves on the long water carry I'm facing. Suddenly my discs stare up out of my bag and plead to be chosen last.

On a perfectly still day an ocassional little breeze can cause problems. Well for me anyway. :wall: But I agree with a lot of folks, 15+ gets annoying. But no reason to stop. I played this past weekend along Lake Ontario gusts to 35+ and we had a good time if not a great round. But you base your expectations on the conditions. We knew it was gonna be tough in some directions and a benefit in others. Amazing how a Comet can just keep going with a steady tailwind. :cool: I had a beautiful 75 footer going when a little skip off the air dead center but now 6 inches above the basket for a 50 footer coming back into it. :mad:

I'm getting better at it however so it isn't as annoying. But I still think the wind blows.