• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviar p&a

Missed my edit window, meant to say that he HAS called it an fd3...

Eagle named it in one of the videos, and sometimes Paul does mention it. But it's NOT mentioned enough that I wonder if there's been a request to de-emphasize the non-Innova discs he might carry.

Eagle named it in one of the videos, and sometimes Paul does mention it. But it's NOT mentioned enough that I wonder if there's been a request to de-emphasize the non-Innova discs he might carry.

I could certainly see that. Discmania is almost at the point of having a full lineup, and innova is filling some very, very small holes, so I could picture them trying to distance themselves from one another a little bit. Right now tho, it's just speculation(as far as I've heard at least)

It might also be a favor to Nate sexton(touring partner and friend) as to try not to make more competition for his firebirds. Just speculation tho

The second carries more weight for Me. Pure speculation though. As for the aviar that Paul is approaching with, I heard that his original p2 was in the bag for 2 straight seasons. If that is the case I'm not sure the flight difference you would see between those 2 discs.

It might also be a favor to Nate sexton(touring partner and friend) as to try not to make more competition for his firebirds. Just speculation tho

This could absolutely be the case.

Also, and more generally: many of the Trilogy players are working towards gravitating to one brand or another (more) exclusively. I don't look for Ricky to give up his Harps, but Paige Pierce said something about wanting an all DD bag, though she could have other Trilogy discs if she wanted.

So, not sure why, but there seems to be a trend towards sponsor exclusivity...

Don't get me wrong, it's not a 'soft' putter by any means, just softer than the stiff DX. If you've felt Yeti, XT Pro is almost the same in feel and flex. Or Zero medium if you're more familiar with that.

Exactly the info I was looking for...thank you!!!

I love the feel of the Lat64 Zero Medium (as well as the DD Classic Blend and D-Line from Discraft). I'm tired of having putt offs with my current putters so I went today and it was a winner takes the spot in my bag throughout the Winter/Spring.

Never thought the DX Aviar P&A would win the shoot out...too tall and too hard (in my opinion)...but it did. Wanted to try it in a grippier plastic but thought the R-Pro might be too soft so was looking at the XT Pro. Your comparison to the Zero Medium helped a great deal!!! Thank!

Love the feel of the KC Pro as well but just didn't have the success with it that I had with the Aviar P&A...loved the feel more but not the results.

TripleB

I recently started putting my with DX Aviars. They've been performing great in this snowy Wisconsin winter. I tied for first in my weekly leagues (Open division) yesterday, out of the 38 guys that showed up. I only missed one putt inside the circle & hit I three 50'+ putts. It wasn't a calm day at all with winds over 20 mph. A majority of my "disc golf career" I used KC Aviars. I like how beaded putters feel in my hand. Though I've been more successful outside of the circle with beadless putters. The last couple weeks has proved to me results matter more than how a disc feels in your hand. When spring hits we'll see if I stick with DX or go with McPros. In he warmer months I prefer a KC type plastic putter. Either way I'm all in on Aviar P&As. I know it's "Innova's most popular disc" but It's underrated (in my area at least). I can only think of one advanced/open tournament player in my area who putts with Aviar P&As. Besides McBeth not many (if any?) top pros putt with it. I've been using a (Gummy) Champ Aviar as one of my driving putters. It's been flying great. It performs much better in the wind than you'd expect.

I think there may be a stigma that the Aviar PnA is a noob disc because it comes in the starter pack and are so many 150 gram ones out there. If you're trying to figure out which plastic you want to stick with I'd recommend trying a Warlock from Gateway in Soft. Nearly identical in shape and feel to the Aviar PnA, a smidge more OS, and better plastic imo.

Josh Anthon putts with dx P&A, and McBeth with pro P&A.

if you miss the stability of KC pro you could try P-line P2

the P2 is just a aviar variant. i guess it's the current pro putting putter dejore (sexton, eagle, simon, big jerm, etc).

I think there may be a stigma that the Aviar PnA is a noob disc because it comes in the starter pack and are so many 150 gram ones out there. If you're trying to figure out which plastic you want to stick with I'd recommend trying a Warlock from Gateway in Soft. Nearly identical in shape and feel to the Aviar PnA, a smidge more OS, and better plastic imo.

Agree 100%!!!

I got an Aviar P&A (173g) when I started playing disc golf back in September. I did think of it as a beginner disc so I experimented with many putters: Pure, Ringer, P2, Swan 1 Reborn, Judge, and Aviar Classic. Liked each of them for a while but kept coming back to the Aviar P&A.

Lately I wanted to move away from this "beginner" disc (even though pros use it) that so many people use, so I looked for a clone and the Warlock came to the forefront. It is almost identical to Aviar P&A in shape, although each of the two Warlocks I bought have a slightly different shape from one another.

I have the Warlock in the SSS plastic and it feels much better than the DX plastic. To me the DX plastic releases a little smoother on longer putts but the SSS feels so much better, especially in the colder weather. I will say though that the SSS plastic shows much deeper dents than the Aviar P&A.

Interchangeable disc? Almost - the Aviar seems to have a little more room on the bottom part of the lip which seems to make spin putts easier to throw (at least the way I hold the putter).

Right now the Warlock is definitely growing on me day by day! But right now, 35' putt with a buck on the line, I'm reaching for the Aviar DX.

Would like to try the Aviar P&A in the R-Pro plastic and the Warlock in the S plastic...so maybe that will be my next order :)

TripleB

Agree 100%!!!

I got an Aviar P&A (173g) when I started playing disc golf back in September. I did think of it as a beginner disc so I experimented with many putters: Pure, Ringer, P2, Swan 1 Reborn, Judge, and Aviar Classic. Liked each of them for a while but kept coming back to the Aviar P&A.

Lately I wanted to move away from this "beginner" disc (even though pros use it) that so many people use, so I looked for a clone and the Warlock came to the forefront. It is almost identical to Aviar P&A in shape, although each of the two Warlocks I bought have a slightly different shape from one another.

I have the Warlock in the SSS plastic and it feels much better than the DX plastic. To me the DX plastic releases a little smoother on longer putts but the SSS feels so much better, especially in the colder weather. I will say though that the SSS plastic shows much deeper dents than the Aviar P&A.

Interchangeable disc? Almost - the Aviar seems to have a little more room on the bottom part of the lip which seems to make spin putts easier to throw (at least the way I hold the putter).

Right now the Warlock is definitely growing on me day by day! But right now, 35' putt with a buck on the line, I'm reaching for the Aviar DX.

Would like to try the Aviar P&A in the R-Pro plastic and the Warlock in the S plastic...so maybe that will be my next order :)

TripleB

R-pro is really, really soft and floppy.
S is really, really firm.
Two ends of the spectrum.

If you want really grippy and similar firmness to DX, get XT for the Aviar instead of R-pro.

R-pro is really, really soft and floppy.
S is really, really firm.
Two ends of the spectrum.

If you want really grippy and similar firmness to DX, get XT for the Aviar instead of R-pro.

Thanks...yea I was looking to try an Aviar soft like the SSS (R-Pro) and a Warlock hard like the DX (S). Just to see the difference in each!

Thanks for the XT tip...was looking at it a while back but couldn't find a 173-175g in stock!

TripleB

Thanks...yea I was looking to try an Aviar soft like the SSS (R-Pro) and a Warlock hard like the DX (S). Just to see the difference in each!

Thanks for the XT tip...was looking at it a while back but couldn't find a 173-175g in stock!

TripleB

R-pro is nowhere close to SSS. It's soft enough in most cases that if you hold it by one side out in front of you, the disc will sag under its own weight. Seriously, it's not even in the ballpark.

S from Gateway will likely be much harder/firmer than most DX. Blends are all over the place, but that's going to be generally true. SSS and XT will be much more similar than SSS and R-pro.

S from Gateway will likely be much harder/firmer than most DX. Blends are all over the place, but that's going to be generally true.

To be honest, I don't really mind it if a putter is hard or not, I think the grippy vs slick feel is what is more of a concern to me. I like the less slick feel of the SSS Warlock compared to the DX Aviar...not sure how the feel of the S compares to the SSS - whether it still has that chalky type feel or not.

Thanks!

TripleB

To be honest, I don't really mind it if a putter is hard or not, I think the grippy vs slick feel is what is more of a concern to me. I like the less slick feel of the SSS Warlock compared to the DX Aviar...not sure how the feel of the S compares to the SSS - whether it still has that chalky type feel or not.

Thanks!

TripleB

Gateway is all over the board, even within the S, SS, SSS designations. A lot of the S I've felt has felt pretty slick, so I've never really been compelled to hunt down good ones, even though I really like the Magic. So I'll defer to others there.

I can't use a slick putter at all. Much of the gateway stuff and even some DX is too "slick" to me, which is why I like the XT so well. Tacky/grippy wet or dry, but firm enough that it doesn't feel like it's sticking to my hand, if that makes any sense. Kind of like if Zero Medium was a little grippier.

...not sure how the feel of the S compares to the SSS - whether it still has that chalky type feel or not.

Will also be all over the place. One thing that is consistent about Gateway is most of their putter base stuff will wear to be velvety. You're better off ordering something like the 5 for $40 http://gatewaydiscsportsdirect.bigcartel.com/ directly from Gateway and requesting the chalkiest and whatever else you want in your Warlock. Gateway's inconsistencies are both a curse and a blessing, but they are second to none in getting the end customer what they want directly.

I can't use a slick putter at all. Much of the gateway stuff and even some DX is too "slick" to me, which is why I like the XT so well. Tacky/grippy wet or dry, but firm enough that it doesn't feel like it's sticking to my hand, if that makes any sense. Kind of like if Zero Medium was a little grippier.

Have you ever felt up K3 from Kastaplast? Think you may like it. Consistantly firm but very tacky and grippy, even when wet for me. I'm a long time Wizard thrower who really likes Gateway's stuff but Kastaplast killed it with that blend. Every K3 Reko I've ever felt feels exactly the same. Feels good man.

Have you ever felt up K3 from Kastaplast? Think you may like it. Consistantly firm but very tacky and grippy, even when wet for me. I'm a long time Wizard thrower who really likes Gateway's stuff but Kastaplast killed it with that blend. Every K3 Reko I've ever felt feels exactly the same. Feels good man.

I've handled a few of the kataplaat at GGGT when I've been in, but I honestly don't know that K3 was one of them. I'll check it out next time I'm down there, but admittedly, I'll be hesitant to switch away from XT given the stack of Aviars and P1Xs I've got now.

I've handled a few of the kataplaat at GGGT when I've been in, but I honestly don't know that K3 was one of them. I'll check it out next time I'm down there, but admittedly, I'll be hesitant to switch away from XT given the stack of Aviars and P1Xs I've got now.

Fo sho. The only reason I asked is because I figured you could feel it up in person. I was mostly impressed by being able to find a blend like that in a putter consistently, even blindly online. The Reko mold feels great as well and is the only conventional putter in their lineup. I stuck with my Wizes because of my stacks as well, but really dig the Reko for both putting and throwing. Definitely worth a fondle.