• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf Tortuga: A Comfy PnA

jcassidy1990

Reptilian Disc Golf
Hi All!!!

I'm late to announce here... Been too busy LOVING this mold to even brag about it!

The Tortuga is our new PnA that fits a major gap in RDG's lineup. The name checks a lot of boxes for me, primarily paying homage to my son's favorite TV show when he was little, Wild Kratts. I also love the name for a slow flying putter and its just fun to say Torts, Tugas and anything in between.

This mold is resurrected from the dead as the old Arsenal Discs C4. Gateway now owns the molds and protos have been kicked around for a year or so now.

I stumbled upon them a month or so back and after testing the mold... I had to have it.

In the hand the Tort feels unique. It is (based on specs) similarly shallow as an Envy/Atom but the wing length is much shorter. So while it has a comfy, low pro feel, it flies slower is better for low power shots.

I am in love with this disc in the circle as well. It putts like a classic PnA, Straight to mild fade, but with a beautiful hand feel. It is Beadless but has a thick rounded bottom so it gives the comfort of a bead without the finger grabbing a tendency of some putters.

Off the tee the Tort has a very unique flight. The plate on this disc is VERY thick which results in an #AntiGYRO effect. This means that upon initial release it will hold the angle then about 50% into the flight it exhibits a smidge of negative turn which extends the line allowing for a deadly straight flight. I liken it to a seasoned proxy that flies a bit slower.

Overall this disc is stealing a ton of shots from my other putters and even some mid shots here and there. My local group has been hitting metal off the tee, cashing long birdies and generally loving this disc. I hope you do too!

Proto plastic is a grippy SS with plans for Tar Pit and more in coming months!

Attachments

• 7ich0l.jpg
    7ich0l.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 20230413_084621.jpg
    20230413_084621.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 80
Definite plans to sharpie the Tortuga on to one. Also definitely going to buy some tarpit ones, I could see that working well as a putting putter for me. The flight spin putting 90' and in is spectacular, gets the distance as easily as my wizards but doesn't glide out as it fades.

Enjoying my protos for throwing. A touch more overall stability than my Inner core and a lot shorter in general. I am finding a little lack of low speed glide (anti-gyro?) and good higher speed glide. In the testing I have been able to do so far in a tailwind it kinda flies much like my serpents do into a headwind. I have slammed some trees, the thick plate seems to hold up nicely. I do think I will like em more as they beat in.

I am a sucker for approach discs, but this one seems to do work that I didn't know I was missing. Is Stego-Devilhawk-Scale-Serpent-Tortuga-Inner Core too many putters :doh:?

I'm excited to try this one. Haven't thrown anything slower than a 3 speed in my main bag in a long time. Wonder if this could steal some shorter straight tee shots where the Envy/Iggy feel like overkill.

I'm excited to try this one. Haven't thrown anything slower than a 3 speed in my main bag in a long time. Wonder if this could steal some shorter straight tee shots where the Envy/Iggy feel like overkill.

I have always struggled to power down the Envy, but I also have been a polecat thrower in the past. I imagine the Tuga could make the bag, especially if you aren't bagging a fairly worn electron envy that finishes straight at 150' or in.

This may be a form of blasphemy...but the Tort has stolen a ton of my Serpent shots.

I love this mold off the tee (waaaay more than I anticipated) It is so easy to achieve straight flights with it's #AntiGYRO traits. That mid flight slight turn really extends the launch angle.

I never thought I'd be preaching a thick flight plate PnA but here we are...

This may be a form of blasphemy...but the Tort has stolen a ton of my Serpent shots.

I love this mold off the tee (waaaay more than I anticipated) It is so easy to achieve straight flights with it's #AntiGYRO traits. That mid flight slight turn really extends the launch angle.

I never thought I'd be preaching a thick flight plate PnA but here we are...

I have been worrying about the same thing. Tortuga in a tailwind flies much like a serpent in no wind. I will still be bagging and armor and tarpit serp, but the Tort is definitely crowding them on some lines, specifically softer BH approaches.

I am also loving it for glidey but predictable hyzers.

And Putting... They are coming out cleaner than my wizards for a lot of putts. Just need some tarpits to start working in for the longer putts. I feel like the lack of glide at the end of the flight gives me the traits I like about putting Serpents/Berg but the initial glide means I can keep the tempo down and stay smoother like I am putting a glidey wizard.

Reminds me of a Magnet/Clutch profile:popcorn:

Got one of these coming because (I have an approach disc problem and) I'm curious if it can steal certain shots from the Serpent so that's encouraging to hear

Hmmm…. Take the finesse out of some of my DX grid Aviar throws? Might've finally found something new to buy.

Magnet talk has me thinking about raiding a pile of discs I gave the old lady to rock old pink magnets and elite x comets at a geezerish charity tourney Saturday.

Hmmm…. Take the finesse out of some of my DX grid Aviar throws? Might've finally found something new to buy.

Magnet talk has me thinking about raiding a pile of discs I gave the old lady to rock old pink magnets and elite x comets at a geezerish charity tourney Saturday.

Just buy a Tortuga & Iguana and you'll have shiny new, modern takes on those two molds ;)

That said, I LOVE vintage flyers and it is always a good time breaking out the old molds. I put together a Lightning bag a few years ago and was pretty shocked with how little my play suffered.

I also am a fan of discs that are now considered vintage.

Has me thinking, a lot of RDG discs are kinda modern takes on vintage discs.

Gila and Iguana are obvious cause they are faster stable flatter topped Rocs/Comets.
Chameleon is a faster Eagle L
Tortuga reminds me a bit of Magnet as well as Classic Roc.
Scale is a classic shape but dumpy like a vintage disc isnt.
Komodo is a beaded driver, and if thats not enough it is glidey for how beefy it is. Its like the Vipers big (better feeling) brother.
Tyrant is(was :rip: ) the X mold Eagle3 that innova wont make.

Last edited:
#2 upshot, thats a disc I need to put side by side with the Tortuga. I am pretty sure I have a 125g #2 Upshot at home (one of the best ultralight putt/approach, puts my ultralight wizards and challenger to shame)

Played a few rounds over the weekend with the Tortuga, some impressions:

1) It's without question a Reptilian Disc, by which I mean it's an odd mold
1a) That "anti-Gyro"/delayed flip is real and takes some getting used to (I haven't lol). Had a number of shots that I let go of, thought I'd nailed the release angle, and then had it shift on me.

2) As a result of 1a, I'm not sure if I'd call this a stable mold or a neutral one with regards to the high speed stability. Does have low speed fade, not a ton, but enough that you have to account for it. More glide than the other Reptilian putters (not saying much there) but not a crazy amount.

3) Plastic is nice, and I'd put it in the same ballpark as Pure White

4) Shape reminds me of a Shield that's been squashed. Similar to the change from a Magic/Serpent to a Shaman
4a) Despite how shallow it is, I had a few drives where it got caught up on my fingers

Overall, if I had to compare it to something it'd probably be a Suspect: similar speed and glide, less stability and fade. I'm planning on taking it out to the local putter course for a few one-disc rounds to try and get a proper handle on it, and I'll pass along my updated impressions afterwards

The shallow but doesn't feel shallow, beadless but doesn't feel beadless is what really puts it in the sweet spot for me. Still dialing in some angles with it putting, but have been getting the feel for approaches and drives. I am finding it interesting cause while its not straight, without wind under it I do not get as much left or right push as a lot of other discs. Like a sweeping hyzer is straighter overall than most putters and a turnover is straighter overall than most putters. I am really getting "Serpent with a touch more turn and a bit of high speed glide" kind of vibes with them. I am excited to see how they break in. The thicker flight plate sure seems to have added some durability to it at least keeping shape.

And Putting... They are coming out cleaner than my wizards for a lot of putts....

I feel like the lack of glide at the end of the flight gives me the traits I like about putting Serpents/Berg but the initial glide means I can keep the tempo down and stay smoother like I am putting a glidey wizard.

So I am nearly a month in putting exclusively with Tortuga. I just got a couple more pairs so my practice stack has begun.

Some update to how its going.

As well as putting I have done some putter only rounds and have been throwing my initial pair a fair amount. They have kept their shape nicely, the flight plate may have sunk just a hair when I compare to my new ones. All 6 I have are protos. All penned 176g. My initial pair of pinks, a new pair of pinks and a new pair of orange. The older pair is tackier than the new pinks, which is one of the beautiful things about liking worked in gateway made putters. The Orange pair is a touch firmer and less grippy than the new pinks. This a minimal difference and both have good tack, but something to note if you have a preference one way or another.
While the original pair have taken a beating they are still rounder than most putters would be with similar hits. These would be to the point that a wizards thin flight plate in similarly soft tplastic would be starting to puddle.
They have lost some LSS, but have not really lost any HSS yet. The touch of extra glide is noticeable on putts.

I am hoping things are still on track for these to become an official RDG mold. While being a slot I wasn't missing or a real hole in RDGs line I sure have found it a spectacular putting putter. Stoked to see what the RDG artists come up with for a stamp when they get an official run.

Time will tell if I go back to the thin flight plate feel of a wizard for cold winter golf, but with the low profile (but not too shallow feeling) flat Tort I am not feeling a disconnect between my fingers and thumb like I do with some stiffer/thicker feeling putters.