Backhand Form Check - I've tasted the nectar

As stated before, these are just my observations and I'm merely using others threads to expand my own knowledge on form and getting cues to my own (horrible form).

We both share some glaring issues that I'll try to point out. I might be wrong and if so, I'm sorry, no harm meant.

We both got that long slendery build and like me, i think you need to exaggerate some motions to get less "stiff" and more fluid.

1. The hammer swing. First off, i would really watch out with hanging on to it like that. To ME it looks like your "hit" is happening late and you get an unhealthy pull/yank in the arm. I wouldn't focus on anything other than weight shift, brace, swingplane etc when working with a heavy object.

Get a more pendulum swing going, that will help with pretty much everything. Specially timing, bracing, the swing and kepling the shoulders closed off. Everting the rear leg is (from my understanding) a byproduct of a solid brace and weight shift. As sw said, you're rising up through the throw, instead of "sitting in to it". Let the hammer and body do the work naturally. Don't initiate a PULL with the shoulders. let the hammer swing in a pendulum and feel how the body assist the motion. Watch SW throwing a hammer (or brychanus) there's fluidity in the throw, no yanking, no initiating the throw with a shoulder yank and his body corresponds according to the "heavy" object. https://youtu.be/Qng28YrYTaw i drilled this in my backyard for a few weeks (before a neck injury), recorded myself to look at my posture, balance and fluidity of the swing. I've felt the same feeling throwing a disc, as throwing a hammer TWICE and booth shots were my personal longest BH throws and they felt like i barely tried

2. Footwork: it's like watching myself throw and i struggle here. What helps me is to REALLY exaggerate it. I know some people is gonna say "you don't need a wide plant or stagger", but i do believe it's necessary for some people, just to get the right feeling of footwork. Experiment with a bit more stagger (maybe a half feet to a feet between heel and toes).

Plant leg. I know this is drilling and all, but except for the last clips, your upper body is blasting over the plant leg before your throwing. I would do a "Will schusterick" https://youtu.be/XCw_F3sSbxE and do a little step, just to get the feeling..

Trust me, I've been working on this since day one and when you practice, what feels like a huge last step/stride will barely be visible on video lol.

Good luck man!

Thanks Kennets! I almost didn't include those last throws, but I'm glad I did. I think doing work to make my disc throws more like my hammer throws is key. The hammer throws feel good but when I throw a disc it is a very different swing.

Good to hear some experiences from a fellow lanky thrower! I totally agree about blasting over my plant foot. It FEELS like my plant foot is farther out in front of me but the tape shows otherwise. I had actually been thinking of doing some drills focusing solely on staying behind the plant foot at whatever small amount of power I can actually achieve it at and then try to work up. That Schusterick vid is a great reminder for it.

I also am revisiting the Figure-8 motion pattern to see if that will help me stay down and "sit-into" the swing. I notice I am WAY on my front heel now. I think I should be rolling that momentum from toe to heel and using more of my foot to catch the momentum before pivoting on the heel.

I think the main issue is you are jumping up out of the shot. Your rear knee is extending instead of bending.

Some new footage. I spent a lot of time doing battering ram motions and pretending to throw something heavy onto a roof. What I started to feel (I think) was the concept behind "Shifting Correctly Makes Bracing Easy", in order to get the maximum energy going "straight" you need to shift ~20 degrees left (as a lefty).

My throws feel way different now and when I'm planning the shot I actually pick a point in the distance to shift my weight towards as well as where I want the apex of the flight to be. It is a really weird feeling at first and takes a lot of trust to commit to the weight shift which seems like it is going the wrong way.

I've had big improvements in accuracy and am getting similar and better distance with what feels like less effort.

These two throws were after a full round, so I was a little tired and could feel they weren't as good as what I can somewhat consistently achieve but I wanted to check in and see if this new shifting approach is going in the correct direction.

This throw went about 300` slight uphill with a Leopard

This throw went about 360` slight downhill, also with a Leopard

1. You are over-doing the diagonal shift. I try to keep my momentum moving in the direction of the trajectory until the plant/brace redirects it.

2. You are landing flat footed with both feet flat on ground and then trying to push too late off rear foot and blowing out/over top the brace. You want to be done any pushing from rear foot by time your front heel hits ground.

VRr1zul.png

Thank you!

You want to be done any pushing from rear foot by time your front heel hits ground.
This is a good tip, I've been struggling with that pesky back leg standing me up in the shot. I'll focus on trying to make that happen.

Been a while but trying to get back at it now that spring is here.

Had a session with a TechDisc yesterday that confirmed what everyone advises - x-step only fucks things up for the most part! So back to standstills and focusing on two things:

keeping shoulders more closed - trying to base the throw off the back shoulder showed me definite improvements in speed and spin and felt better.

trying to stay down on the front leg/hip. I always seem to pop-up and never really put much force into the front foot. I feedback on this here from SW22.

Anyway here is a recent throw:

I'll take any feedback you got but in particular - any ideas for tips or drills to keep that front hip down and stop me from popping up? I'm really struggling to correct it

Think I made some progress:

Was focusing on not tipping over and blowing past my brace as well as getting my rear leg more behind me. I started to get my weight coming through my crotch more and feeling how my thighs squeezed together and the rear leg wanted to "smash" into my front leg. My leg didn't get behind me in a bowler pose but my hips DID stay down a lot more than previous sessions and my body felt a lot more connected in general.

stopping the 'pop up':
VrO41Of.png

Not tipping over:
ag3Qp30.png

Get your chin up off your chest, so you can swing your shoulder(s) under your chin. Tuck your abs in, navel toward belt buckle.