• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand: Grip, wrist position, and don’t flick?!

ChrisinFL

Eagle Member
So, beginner here, 5 months, still learning and trying to progress. I just watched an Overthrow video, link attached below, starting with grip, then saying, in my words: curl/cock the wrist, THEN NEVER flick the wrist. To just throw, and keep the wrist curled throughout. Over the past 5 months, I have spent countless hours watching videos and studying proper form. I have seen some saying not to curl, others saying to curl and flick, but I don't recall any saying to curl and never flick the wrist. Is this correct technique/form? Of course when I get on the practice field again I will try it, and see what it does for me, but I am curious what more advanced players do, or don't do, or think of this advice. Any feedback welcomed!

This specific advice starts at about 5:04 of the video:

Try it. Some do, some don't. I don't like to curl my wrist much, or maybe I'm just not flexible enough or ape index enough. I think of the wrist like using a hammer, I wouldn't start with it fully cocked, I'd use the swinging weight to load the wrist like a spring and unload.

I like the wrist curl, grabbing the disc on the side gives me a nice bit of extra spin. If I don't preload it a bit I tend to forget haha, then I'm scrambling at the end trying to add some spin because my hand started out of position.

I always felt with discraft you could flick more (but I haven't used discraft driver in 15+ years. With faster plastic or innova, anything more than 10-15 degrees wrist pivot makes release timing/control impossible(then again practicing that way could help). I think I get my spin from rotating at the elbow. Shrug. Keep watching videos and practicing. You'll find what works for you.

A few months back I couldn't really tell a difference, but now I think I do a little better with the wrist curl, and it seems like I can visibly see more spin on the disc in the early part of it's flight. However, yesterday I practiced a lot of throws with wrist curl, and my wrist started feeling a bit sore - might not be something I can keep doing long term. Time will tell.

I suspect that the conscious wrist curl, if not combined with a conscious wrist snap, may tend to lead to an elbow forward move. Which implies horizontal adduction. (to me anyway - <smiley>)

The grip has to do three things, right?

I suspect that the conscious wrist curl, if not combined with a conscious wrist snap, may tend to lead to an elbow forward move. Which implies horizontal adduction. (to me anyway - <smiley>)

The grip has to do three things, right?
Three things?

So, beginner here, 5 months, still learning and trying to progress. I just watched an Overthrow video, link attached below, starting with grip, then saying, in my words: curl/cock the wrist, THEN NEVER flick the wrist. To just throw, and keep the wrist curled throughout. Over the past 5 months, I have spent countless hours watching videos and studying proper form. I have seen some saying not to curl, others saying to curl and flick, but I don't recall any saying to curl and never flick the wrist. Is this correct technique/form? Of course when I get on the practice field again I will try it, and see what it does for me, but I am curious what more advanced players do, or don't do, or think of this advice. Any feedback welcomed!

This specific advice starts at about 5:04 of the video:

I am thinking, it seems like I sometimes default to a slight hyzer angle when trying to throw flat, and that some cocking and flicking of my wrist helps me to get a flat disc release. Thus, some amount wrist cocking and flicking helps me be more consistent. Does it make sense, that that could be the case? Actually, I am almost certain that is the case with my putting, but thinking I get some of the same thing when driving?

Three things?
I think the grip (shorthand for connection between hand to disc) needs to do three things that are fairly distinct.

1. Make it possible for (or at least do not prevent) the disc to release out nose up.

2. Hold on securely enough that the disc does not rip out prematurely, but not so securely that it can't rip out when it should.

3. A little less confidence in this one, but: create the geometry to allow the amount of disc pivot that is desirable.

I'm aware there's some overlap and I haven't fully thought this out.