• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad/Homer Course Reviews

They do exist, and IMO, are nearly uniformly better than dirt teepads!

i'd have to agree. I want to say I played around 80 courses before i played on rubber pads and they were awesome pads (Perkerson - Atlanta). However, just about every course with rubber pads since then, have been less than ideal. Still, most (not all) were better than dirt.

The tees in my back yard are mostly natural, but i do have one nice rubber pad installed. If you listen closely, you can hear it whispering to the neighboring natural pad "you're nasty"

Last edited:
A 4.5 rated nine-holer in the desert? Color me skeptical :|

I was skeptical too, but the media tab has pictures of 18 tee signs. Sounds like the course might be a work in progress.

I hear where you are coming from, but it's a different standard that what most of us operate with. I've given a lot of 3.5 ratings to courses that have no business hosting a PDGA major. They have flaws that wouldn't hold up to that sort of scrutiny, but they are fine to hold a B tier on. If we rated all the courses that are not good enough to host a PDGA major as a "1", that would create a lot of 1's. :\ I think that's more the issue with the review.

I thought at the time that the Texas course that will not be mentioned and Flip City sounded like they had a sort-of similar draw of being private courses with some "fun" elements that locals loved, but were somewhat gimmicky and not really creating the most competitive experience. People like me who can't really play go there and have a blast; we rate them highly based on the experience more than the golf. If you are recommending courses that you think other disc golfer will enjoy (which is what DGCR is supposed to be) that's fine. If you are going to host a PDGA major, the evaluation has to be 100% based on the shots. It's a much harsher standard that a lot fewer people are qualified to make.

bold Is that Texas course the one that was used for the PDGA Collegiate finals a few years back? That course being the one that PDGA events the Director had to ban overhead shots and then later at a small am event all over the top of the tree shots as the trees and foliage only got to be 30-40 feet tall? The person who made the course, did not want it played over the top of the trees but the near desert area that the person made the course on did not have what he wanted in the area.

Playing near an airport can be a buzzkill of you're looking for serenity, but after a while, the planes kinda fade into the background. Playing near an airshow is entirely a different matter, though.

I recall a round a few years ago at The Ponds of Lakeshore while an airshow was going on at Willow Run very near by. Felt like I was getting buzzed by F-15's or whatever they were. They were flying low and fast, specifically trying to put on a spectacular display for the crowd. It was kinda cool at times, because it was kinda like getting to watch the show for free, but damned those jets and copters are freaking loud, and it gets old fast.

But if you're into that sorta thing, play more rounds near an airfield.

Your post reminds me of Sundays (post football season) at my grandmothers, and of course Dad had golf on . In the background, you could usually hear planes. And of course see Rainbowhead.:popcorn:

bold Is that Texas course the one that was used for the PDGA Collegiate finals a few years back? That course being the one that PDGA events the Director had to ban overhead shots and then later at a small am event all over the top of the tree shots as the trees and foliage only got to be 30-40 feet tall? The person who made the course, did not want it played over the top of the trees but the near desert area that the person made the course on did not have what he wanted in the area.

There's a reason why you don't mention some Texas courses that have design flaws. The designer could (will) make a federal case out of it. I don't think it's the one you have in mind. As for the OP, he would have a hard time loving disc golf in Texas. Trees are used heavily due to the lack of varying terrain. In fact, I'm one of those Texans that are incredibly sad when a tree dies and has to be removed. Boring holes are the ones that get the same scores almost all the time. No challenge = no fun.

no

i think the courses he meant are no longer around. they hosted lots of doubles events and IIRC a number of them were majors.

Last edited:
I think the OP review was one of Avery's alts.

So was one of the courses I was talking about too with the College used Course. Avery did the design I think? for the City or person. I just forgot who it was until you mentioned the name, I know it was a top Innova player in the 2000's who lives in Texas and designed the course.

Are you talking about the 2018 Texas Collegiate Disc Golf Championship? Hosted by Jay "Yeti" Reading at the REDACTED COURSE NAME.

Link to Reddit thread with discussion of overhead bans.
https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/comments/7cykx0/we_had_jussi_meresmaa_on_the_upshot_this_week_to/

I think the OP review was one of Avery's alts.

I think Avery was ahead of his time, or just ahead of the sport. When Avery was a top touring player, he was discappointed when NT and Major events would have "sub standard" tee pads. He worked hard to draw attention to the fact that top players needed to be treated like top players. That venues should be well marked and ready for practice. That tee areas should be standard and not hazardous. Avery just wanted the PDGA to enforce the standards it had already set.

The problem was and still is, that unpaid volunteers are running the biggest PDGA Pro events. Now the Pro players are getting paid and the video crews are getting paid and the PDGA is getting paid and the manufacturers are profiting, but the TD's and the course volunteers aren't getting paid and most are probably losing money. It is a fact that the DGPT is currently a big money pit.

If the sport wants top events, the TDs and the course set up crews will need to start receiving compensation. Without volunteer TD's there wouldn't be any events for the touring pros to attend or for the video crews to cover. There wouldn't be tons of player fees pouring into the PDGA. It is currently up to the "volunteer" TDs and staffers to raise enough money, donate hundreds of volunteer hours to get the course in shape, pay for the venue, pay the other expenses AND add thousands (10K for an NT) in cash to the purse. Then all the volunteers go home after the event with nothing and most likely lost money.

It is time to pay the TD's!

Sorry for the thread drift. ......

I think Avery was ahead of his time, or just ahead of the sport. When Avery was a top touring player, he was discappointed when NT and Major events would have "sub standard" tee pads. He worked hard to draw attention to the fact that top players needed to be treated like top players. That venues should be well marked and ready for practice. That tee areas should be standard and not hazardous. Avery just wanted the PDGA to enforce the standards it had already set.

The problem was and still is, that unpaid volunteers are running the biggest PDGA Pro events. Now the Pro players are getting paid and the video crews are getting paid and the PDGA is getting paid and the manufacturers are profiting, but the TD's and the course volunteers aren't getting paid and most are probably losing money. It is a fact that the DGPT is currently a big money pit.

If the sport wants top events, the TDs and the course set up crews will need to start receiving compensation. Without volunteer TD's there wouldn't be any events for the touring pros to attend or for the video crews to cover. There wouldn't be tons of player fees pouring into the PDGA. It is currently up to the "volunteer" TDs and staffers to raise enough money, donate hundreds of volunteer hours to get the course in shape, pay for the venue, pay the other expenses AND add thousands (10K for an NT) in cash to the purse. Then all the volunteers go home after the event with nothing and most likely lost money.

It is time to pay the TD's!

Sorry for the thread drift. ......

as usual, Discette nails it!

re: low flying planes

You haven't lived until you've played SeaTac in WA. Now THOSE are some low flying jumbo jets...

I played Sea Tac in a light rain with thick low clouds and could only hear the jets at first. Then the clouds lifted a little and holy F#$#* those jets were practicallly touching the treetops! I can see why they removed the homes and created this park.

The BlackHawk and RedHawk courses in Tulsa also have a lot of LOUD low flyers!