• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basement basket for sleeping baby?

Foam on pole, towel in cage. Use a bungee to hold a towel around chains and tight to the foam, like a gateway bullseye look

Yep ziptie towel around the pole, don't forget to go down low enough to dampen the chains ring connector thing. Towel in the basket is good too. The only thing making noise will be your missed putts off the wall.

Yep ziptie towel around the pole, don't forget to go down low enough to dampen the chains ring connector thing. Towel in the basket is good too. The only thing making noise will be your missed putts off the wall.

Used some left-over weather stripping and electrical tape. Air mattress behind the basket was my cheap solution for a backstop.

Basket001.jpg

Here's what I came up with that's extremely quiet and very effective at catching anything you throw at it. Start at post #24 to get detailed instructions on making the "chain." Instead building a whole basket you could just find a cheap portable (Marketplace, Craigslist or eBay) in need of some TLC and replace the metal chain with my solution. If you found one that had chains that were rusted up and in rough shape, you could probably get a really good deal.

I don't have a basement so I have to practice outside and more times than not it's late at night. I never have to worry about disturbing anyone.

I second this idea - it is how I made the "chains" for my practice basket as it was nice and cheap.

Overall it catches pretty well with the only issues being that it will miss some cut throughs on hyzer putts and also a dead straight on the pole putt will hit the pole and come back out (not enough mass in the "chains"). Either way though - I know those 2 situations are putts where I hit my target - which is what matters for a practice basket.

Attachments

• Basket 1.jpg
    Basket 1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 91
So I brought my basket inside.
I put 1" pipe insulation on the center pole. And a good old heavy blanket in the basket (and hanging over the front to prevent the "clang" on low putts). It is plenty quiet enough, while still giving that nice satisfying smashing-chains sound.
Hung a dropcloth from the rafters behind it and tucked the bottom up under the basket's footprint.
Table for cold beer. Doormat to stand on. Bluetooth speaker. Life is good.

Thanks for everyone's input and ideas (except for Elevated, who chimed in just to say he had a great idea he wouldn't share -- although I'm curious to see what he came up with).

I second this idea - it is how I made the "chains" for my practice basket as it was nice and cheap.

Overall it catches pretty well with the only issues being that it will miss some cut throughs on hyzer putts and also a dead straight on the pole putt will hit the pole and come back out (not enough mass in the "chains"). Either way though - I know those 2 situations are putts where I hit my target - which is what matters for a practice basket.

I was going to suggest the very basket you just pictured. In the mid 80's we made baskets out of PVC pipe and rubber garden hose sections threaded onto nylon clothes line. We called them "hosers" We threaded a fat (same diameter) washer every 4th or 5th link to give it better catching ability. Very quiet> shhhhh You can find free discarded hose.

I put 2 layers of 1" pipe insulationover the pole, a heavy blanket in the basket, and took Aim's suggestion to weave clothesline through the chains. Plenty quiet. Works like a champ for $4.50 in materials.