• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket or Tone pole

The Roc

Im just curious about how many disc golfers prefer a basket or a tone pole? What are your experiences and why do you prefer one over the other?

I have mixed feelings on this issue as I really like the sound of the chains but sometimes baskets shouldnt catch like they should. Tone poles there is no question as to wheather or not you hit the pole. I find that there seems to be inconsistencies in the way baskets catch or dont catch a disc. Many times I have been punished by the chains/basket for a perfect putt. I have seen it happen to many people including the pros. I just feel that you shouldnt be punished for a perfect putt. Should our disc golf baskets be more consistent in catching putts? The best basket I have seen is the Vortex basket. Criss crossing chains and no nubs to stop or pop the disc out. What does everyone think about the issue with baskets over tone poles?

I've never played with tone poles, but as far as getting "punished" for making a perfect putt is just all part of the game, and IMO keeps it interesting. I hear what you're saying, however, interested to see if anyone actually prefers tone poles.

If we had a way to confirm that a disc had actually hit the pole without visual spotting by players, tone poles would be more consistent targets and also increase the number of courses because the cost would be less to install a course. I think courses on school grounds in particular would really ramp up with tone poles being accepted.

I think the sound of a good, quality tone pole is pretty amazing. They have them as alternates at a course I play. Adds another element to a round if you want to go that route.

Last edited:
I don't care either way. But, I would rather putt to a tonal than a crappy basket (ie those with only 1 row of chains). I hate it when discs slice through, or don't slow down enough to not bounce back off the pole.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I would probably quit playing if faced with the prospect of having to only play tone poles. I really don't appreciate them at all.

more skill involved, arguably. harder putts, not by much though. less luck. i like it. only downside . .. i think some people would feel cheaped out on if they skidded up to a tone pole and dinked it. i wouldn't want to pay 5$ for that. :p on the other hand, the idea of a disc never touching the ground . . . i like that too.

Definitely baskets, especially when it's damp, muddy, snowy... make a putt and there's no wiping.
With poles, you have to clean the disc off even when you hit your shot.

That said, baskets are more forgiving and easier to hit than poles.

I've never played with tone poles, but as far as getting "punished" for making a perfect putt is just all part of the game, and IMO keeps it interesting. I hear what you're saying, however, interested to see if anyone actually prefers tone poles.

I would happily play on tone poles as no solid putts would get robbed, either mine or anybody's.

I continue to hear bad players defend baskets. If your putt spits out then it must have been flawed, they argue. This argument is foolish. Really, bad players want more luck added to the game. Good players want the game to be decided by skill. I have never heard a good Pro defend the catching ability and consistency of most baskets.

But Tone Poles are not perfect either. Long, blind shots may not be audible especially those that barely touch the pole. The only clear advantage of baskets is they prevent arguments. It's in or it's not. (ok, there are the very rare hangers and drots but the rules make those situations pretty clear).

So a Tone Pole might cost an occasional ace or field ace but it would well make up for this by rewarding stacks and stacks of good close shots (mostly putts) which would otherwise bounce out or blow through.

Thankfully some modern baskets have more chains and better designs.

I've played on some pretty nice tone poles that rang like a bell even when grazed; one type even had an opaque plastic top that illuminated for night golf!

Still---the "CHING!"....[drool, slobber, endzone dance]

more skill involved, arguably. harder putts, not by much though. less luck. i like it. only downside . .. i think some people would feel cheaped out on if they skidded up to a tone pole and dinked it. i wouldn't want to pay 5$ for that. :p on the other hand, the idea of a disc never touching the ground . . . i like that too.

The tone targets I'm familiar with have a defined "target zone" that is distinct from the pole it's mounted on, so skidding up to the pole and dinking it doesn't register as a holing out:

disc-06b.jpg

k6ycdvp

I agree with Bogey about muddy discs. A made putt is at least one less cleaning. Besides that, I enjoy playing object golf. I've not had the pleasure of playing on tone poles though.

My home course actually has some real quality tone poles. IMO the only downside to tone poles is on a blindside shot you can't always be sure of an ace. That being said whenever I go to another course I'm always happy to putt at baskets.

Nothing wrong with tone poles. All that matters is having something to throw at.

I'd be fine playing to tone poles for a casual round at a nice course. Especially when needed for money reasons. More courses could be made using them when funds for baskets are not easy to get. That said I don't think I'd ever play a tournament on them. They're not ok for sanctioned events anyway right?

If we had a way to confirm that a disc had actually hit the pole without visual spotting by players, tone poles would be more consistent targets and also increase the number of courses because the cost would be less to install a course. I think courses on school grounds in particular would really ramp up with tone poles being accepted.

We need some kind of hologram target. It could detect where a disc hits and register whether it hit 'enough' of the target to count.

Sort of a tougher version of the "target" column used in the Nintendo Beach Sports Disc Golf game.