• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting and how to become elite level.

Wow! I think that much work would kill me!
I stay away from bad diet and i always sleep for 8 hours, thats how i can train so much.
I also tried to break world records in weight lifting before, so im used to strict regime.
Sorry for going a little off topic here, but what do you do in the way of mobility and strength? What do you focus on, what do you want to achieve with the exercises? Any specific exercises that you can recommend? Im trying to build a mobility routine with some strength/stability and interested to hear what others are doing.

I train every muscle group twice a week, so upper/lower/cardiovascular/repeat and one rest day.

I have a very complicated program but i use most of the excercises from kneesovertoes ( youtube search him)
also combine these with heavy coumpound lifts.

I strongly recommend atg split squat and tibialis raises and nordic hamstrings.

When its closer to season i change it up to more explosive latteral movements and heavy medisin ball movements.

And during winter time i work on max strength training and gaining a little weight so im not proned to injury.

Sorry for going a little off topic here, but what do you do in the way of mobility and strength? What do you focus on, what do you want to achieve with the exercises? Any specific exercises that you can recommend? Im trying to build a mobility routine with some strength/stability and interested to hear what others are doing.
I have been doing plyometrics for decades now, both upper and lower body. I would suggest the attached book, that has been my favorite exercise science book and one I've followed since I was a kid. In my teenage and 20s I did all sorts of advanced plyometric exercises. Now I'm middle aged so I keep it to the basic and beginner stuff that's lower impact and lower risk, but a little goes a long way and I try and maintain that. I did hot yoga for a long time but stopped since covid and haven't gone back, but would eventually like to.

Attachments

• 20240202_091725.jpg
    20240202_091725.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
cock pushups.
I really have no idea how words and pic are related. Is your cock fluffy?
I have been doing plyometrics for decades now, both upper and lower body. I would suggest the attached book, that has been my favorite exercise science book and one I've followed since I was a kid. In my teenage and 20s I did all sorts of advanced plyometric exercises. Now I'm middle aged so I keep it to the basic and beginner stuff that's lower impact and lower risk, but a little goes a long way and I try and maintain that. I did hot yoga for a long time but stopped since covid and haven't gone back, but would eventually like to.
Im gonna look into that, thanks!

To steer this more towards the original question, I stumbled upon this podcast with Matt Bell:

TLDW: he says that he mostly practices putting without a basket and rather focuses on landing his discs at certain spots. He also says to not learn a pros putting stroke but to throw like you would naturally do it. His last point is that you should not practice putting by throwing lots of putts but by making a bunch of different ones. Practice weird angles, practice in wind, see how your putt behaves in different conditions and so on. I conceptualised this as widening putting practice. You should cast a wide net and be able to throw a wide range of putting angles as you will not be presented with your standard putt during a round and probably much less so on pro level courses with weird terrain.

On this last point I think you are doing what I would view as the opposite of casting a wide net, at least from the info you have posted in the thread. I get the impression that you are perfecting your putt from set distances in indoor circumstances on flat ground. It is more like going really deep into one set of circumstances and mastering that one.

Now I want to explicitly not frame this as advice as I have no idea which approach is more favorable for results. But I found his approach to putting interesting and worth considering. As you are in Norway you might also not have the opportunity to practice outside of an indoor hall in the winter. And it is worth mentioning that Matt Bell learned to play in heavily wooded courses where you would rarely have unobstructed putts so his method might be adapted to that specific style of course. However I found his approach of practicing a lot of very different putts interesting as I had not heard of practicing like that previously.

Here is also a putting reel. If the putt is obstructed I would bet on him to make it over most other pros.

To steer this more towards the original question, I stumbled upon this podcast with Matt Bell:

TLDW: he says that he mostly practices putting without a basket and rather focuses on landing his discs at certain spots. He also says to not learn a pros putting stroke but to throw like you would naturally do it. His last point is that you should not practice putting by throwing lots of putts but by making a bunch of different ones. Practice weird angles, practice in wind, see how your putt behaves in different conditions and so on. I conceptualised this as widening putting practice. You should cast a wide net and be able to throw a wide range of putting angles as you will not be presented with your standard putt during a round and probably much less so on pro level courses with weird terrain.

On this last point I think you are doing what I would view as the opposite of casting a wide net, at least from the info you have posted in the thread. I get the impression that you are perfecting your putt from set distances in indoor circumstances on flat ground. It is more like going really deep into one set of circumstances and mastering that one.

Now I want to explicitly not frame this as advice as I have no idea which approach is more favorable for results. But I found his approach to putting interesting and worth considering. As you are in Norway you might also not have the opportunity to practice outside of an indoor hall in the winter. And it is worth mentioning that Matt Bell learned to play in heavily wooded courses where you would rarely have unobstructed putts so his method might be adapted to that specific style of course. However I found his approach of practicing a lot of very different putts interesting as I had not heard of practicing like that previously.

Here is also a putting reel. If the putt is obstructed I would bet on him to make it over most other pros.

This is good stuff, i should probably change my putting regime and test it out for a little while.

You can make challenges and putts inside so that wont be a problem, thanks!

Here's a bit of science on it:

Tl;dr - repeatedly putting from the same spot is the fastest way to get good at a putt WITHIN a particular practice session, but it won't help you much when it comes to the next session (or on the course!). But a random variety of putts results in greater learning - you improve slower, but the improvement sticks.

Here's a bit of science on it:

Tl;dr - repeatedly putting from the same spot is the fastest way to get good at a putt WITHIN a particular practice session, but it won't help you much when it comes to the next session (or on the course!). But a random variety of putts results in greater learning - you improve slower, but the improvement sticks.

Been saying this for years.
People tell me I'm wrong.
People keep practice putting 500 times from 30 feet. wonder why they dont get better.

I tell them to try my drill practice putting.
I get ignored, laughed at.

The people who do it can practice 10 minutes a day and putt better than the guy who spend 4 hours a day practice putting.

My consistent game in round play is still what chokes me up, if I had the goal to get competitive. And also get pissy. But, when I get a good run going for myself. The ability to throw close enough to try and run everything with the confidence that I can basically drop it in if I miss has been a big step forward. Field throwing towards things, and working in the uncomfortable approach range with standstill power.

Yup. This really is the way imo.

It isn't as popular as repping immaculate condition putts from the same spot over and over because...its humbling af lol. It really does show you how bad you are in a similar way to how the course humbles you.

Yup. This really is the way imo.

It isn't as popular as repping immaculate condition putts from the same spot over and over because...its humbling af lol. It really does show you how bad you are in a similar way to how the course humbles you.
At least make it interesting, and do those reps of immaculate condition putts with all different weights and stabilities of putters.

Here's my suggestion for putting practice, given my (inexpert) understanding of the neurology. But first, an explanation.

Blocked practice is good for making changes - you have the whole motor control program in short term memory, so if you're working on something specific you can just tell the body "same as before, but reach back a bit slower" or whatever technical change you want to make.

Random practice forces you to store the motor control program in longer term memory, since your short term memory is going to be filled with a different throw, and then retrieve it again when needed for a similar putt.

This has two useful effects. One is that a regularly-recalled memory gets stronger. We learn things not just by repeating the action, but by repeating the whole process of remembering how to do the action and then doing it. And the second effect is that you'll get more efficient at storing and retrieving the memory - and you'll learn which bits are important and which bits not important. Your brain is very good at finding shortcuts, so if there's a way to create a zip-file version rather than remember the whole thing each time, the brain will eventually do it.

And the way it does it is by breaking the action down into chunks. If your putt has consistent features that you always do, then that really only needs to be stored once - which means you only have to store-and-recall the things that are actually different each time. That's certainly how a computer programmer would do it - basic subroutines that are shared by all the different throws, and then the minimum amount of additional info to differentiate each from another.

But creating the subroutines actually gives you more variety. Instead of lots of complete but separate motor programs, you have subroutines that can be combined in different ways - eg arm action 3 + leg action 2 + finger pop 4, or whatever. Even when you haven't practiced a particular weird putt, you've got a much better chance of mixing together an effective stroke if you have a good working knowledge of how the different parts of your stroke contribute to the whole.

So - my idea of practicing is:

If you throw a putt you like the feel of, do something else (lefty, or forehand, whatever) and THEN try to do it again. You need to get the motor program out of your working memory, by replacing it with some other action, and then see if you can successfully retrieve it.

If you throw a putt that feels all wrong, throw another one straight away - within a second or so - and make an adjustment. Use your unconscious brain to quickly make a change rather than trying to consciously work out what's different. And when you get it where you want it, immediately go back to random practice by doing some other action.

Most people do the opposite - they drill a bunch of putts quickly when they feel good, but they slow down and go through their whole routine when it isn't working so well, trying to work out what is missing.

Anyway, just my (long) thoughts.

Here's my suggestion for putting practice, given my (inexpert) understanding of the neurology. But first, an explanation.

Blocked practice is good for making changes - you have the whole motor control program in short term memory, so if you're working on something specific you can just tell the body "same as before, but reach back a bit slower" or whatever technical change you want to make.

Random practice forces you to store the motor control program in longer term memory, since your short term memory is going to be filled with a different throw, and then retrieve it again when needed for a similar putt.

This has two useful effects. One is that a regularly-recalled memory gets stronger. We learn things not just by repeating the action, but by repeating the whole process of remembering how to do the action and then doing it. And the second effect is that you'll get more efficient at storing and retrieving the memory - and you'll learn which bits are important and which bits not important. Your brain is very good at finding shortcuts, so if there's a way to create a zip-file version rather than remember the whole thing each time, the brain will eventually do it.

And the way it does it is by breaking the action down into chunks. If your putt has consistent features that you always do, then that really only needs to be stored once - which means you only have to store-and-recall the things that are actually different each time. That's certainly how a computer programmer would do it - basic subroutines that are shared by all the different throws, and then the minimum amount of additional info to differentiate each from another.

But creating the subroutines actually gives you more variety. Instead of lots of complete but separate motor programs, you have subroutines that can be combined in different ways - eg arm action 3 + leg action 2 + finger pop 4, or whatever. Even when you haven't practiced a particular weird putt, you've got a much better chance of mixing together an effective stroke if you have a good working knowledge of how the different parts of your stroke contribute to the whole.

If you throw a putt you like the feel of, do something else (lefty, or forehand, whatever) and THEN try to do it again. You need to get the motor program out of your working memory, by replacing it with some other action, and then see if you can successfully retrieve it.

If you throw a putt that feels all wrong, throw another one straight away - within a second or so - and make an adjustment. Use your unconscious brain to quickly make a change rather than trying to consciously work out what's different. And when you get it where you want it, immediately go back to random practice by doing some other action.

Most people do the opposite - they drill a bunch of putts quickly when they feel good, but they slow down and go through their whole routine when it isn't working so well, trying to work out what is missing.

Switch on each. Rapid putts can be good to see how habituation is working. But, just like the free-throw line. It's a very limited aspect of the game to be good at, and it gets really boring. I also use the random practice aspect with field throwing, and with putting outside with my porch as an obstacle the basket is placed within. Which also values that EACH disc is a different stability, and/or weight. If I get one with the really broken in Aviar, what does a champ Rhino need to get there. Or, if I have a right footwward anhyzer putt I see the line for. I hit it. Grab another completely different disc. Try again. Switch. How is it as left foot forward on a hyzer. And then how is it with straddle putt with another Aviar. If the basket has something the disc needs to go over and also around. What are the different angles each disc requires to find the basket? Now do it again a few feet over. What stance does my body need to be in to create the right release?

Every putt different, and obstacles, sounds over-exaggerated to me. I get a few obstacle putts, yes, but I would say 90% no obstacles. The pro matches I watch, seems similar, with maybe the biggest variable being that they have a lot more baskets set higher up. Trees guarding greens, sure, but not often trees actually on the "greens".

Nailed it.
Thats a smarter sounding way of what I try and say.

Rapid putts can be good to see how habituation is working.

This is where I get really fussy teaching.

Because I am well okay with this when done correctly.
But when it goes against just jacking things up its bad.

Because we look back into block practice again, most people stand there and keep trying to make corrections with their arm over and over. this is bad.

So when you send that second putt right away, you gotta not try and correct anything like you're saying. You gotta send it.
But what people dont understand in this situation is you're looking for "did it do almost the exact same thing or not."

Were looking for "did you make an error putting, and thats why you missed" As in, you didn't think about it, you sent it, and the putt went in no effort.

Did it go randomly anywhere else but where I desired in the first place.

Or did it go almost exactly where that other putt went.

So, now you know, shit is bad.
I made a mistake, or my consistency is right on.

I'd rather have option 3 there.
Because i can adjust my feet on my line up a bit and... i'm done. Thats it.
Putts are banging chains.

If its option 1, cool, but.. Am I gotta error again today?

I just wrote an article about Andrew Marwede and declared him as THE BEST PUTTER in modern era of pro disc golf.

Check out the full article here - The Best Putter in the Modern Era of Pro Disc Golf | Disc Golf Fanatic

1707392641575.png

Marwede's C1X stats are pretty insane, same with C2. He is head and shoulders above other pro disc golfers in putting. Deeper analysis in the article, I recommend reading it.

1707392627133.png

Here's a quick slow-mo clip of Andrew Marwede putting.
View attachment V1-0120_Ledgestone MPO R4-1920.m4v

I just wrote an article about Andrew Marwede and declared him as THE BEST PUTTER in modern era of pro disc golf.

Check out the full article here - The Best Putter in the Modern Era of Pro Disc Golf | Disc Golf Fanatic

View attachment 332412

Marwede's C1X stats are pretty insane, same with C2. He is head and shoulders above other pro disc golfers in putting. Deeper analysis in the article, I recommend reading it.

View attachment 332411

Here's a quick slow-mo clip of Andrew Marwede putting.
And here comes Tonis.

First of all, lets establish how "good" you really are.

Complete like 10 regular JYLY putting games and report back here.
How to play the JYLY putting game? - JYLY Disc Golf Putting Game | Disc Golf Fanatic

I recommend using this website to track the scores – Easy 3 Disc Golf

JYLY putting game is a great way to practice putting, track stats and see your progress over time.

I love the back-and-forth putting game the most, but the regular one is good as well.
My highest score for the regular JYLY game is 726 points out of 1000. I usually average around 650-700 in the regular mode.
Back-and-forth putting around 700, averaging 650.

To become the elite you need to have all sorts of putting styles in your bag, ranging from turbo putts to lofty putts (over objects) to extreme spin-putts.

Luckily for me, here in Estonia we get to participate in events called "X-series", where the organizers set up upto 100 baskets inside shopping malls, abandoned prisons, cruise ships, TV towers and other various places. Putting and throwing in all sorts of weird positions, sitting, kneeling, on your toes, you name it and in all sorts of cool places where we usually don't get to throw discs.

PXL_20230520_150910399.jpgPXL_20230122_132902402.jpgPXL_20230122_152434265.jpgPXL_20231216_082417711.MP.jpgIMG_20220903_064819.jpgPXL_20231118_071703411.jpg

Latest posts