• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Steering Wheel Grip Feel from Blake T's Thread

Tinkles

Birdie Member
OK so I was reading the "incomplete" secret technique thread for some insights and came upon a feel drill I hadn't really tried. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19220

It is Part 4 Failure #3: The Lever

In it Blake talks about holding the disc like it's a steering wheel and giving you the feel of bringing the opposite side of the disc around. I have recently been very slightly rolling my wrist under the disc which has made it easier for me to have wrist extension and I have been focusing on active extension during the hit. This has been working well for me but then I came upon this part of Blake's post…

Right before I came to this post by Blake, I had been looking at the McCray video in post 37 here. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108094&page=4

Back to Blake's Part 4 Failure #3 post. I tried it out and immediately something clicked in my mind. This method really helped me feel bringing the back end of the disc around. When I took this approach and tried to apply it to a horizontal throw plane, I noticed a few things.
1) My grip became much more of a thumb forward power grip.
2) My wrist seemed to slightly roll more over the disc – again this variation in wrist roll is very small but the feel is dramatically different.
3) I could understand what he meant by how the Swedish technique leverages the disc this way.
4) The way this felt is the way I see a lot of people throw who seem to have more power than they should - as in their armspeed doesn't seem to be fast enough to generate the velocity they throw with. I don't know how to explain this well but you can see certain throwers where it looks like the disc is held below the plane of their forearm which I think is Swedish or can be a hybrid technique.

Watching the McCray video, I realize he looks to me like a hybrid Swedish thrower.
I see this in Double G as well where the disc is below his forearm/elbow when he is bringing it into the pocket.
Ricky also does this and is another player I've never understood how he throws so far with what appears to me to be slow arm speed. https://youtu.be/DEu4cm_RfdI?t=8
I also have always questioned why you see pros practice pulling through with no disc and always have their palm face down pulling their fist through. Eagle does this a lot as part of his routine. He keeps the disc and elbow high in his throw but when coming into the pocket he has his hand over rather than beside the disc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oMWcyiSwQM

Simon does has his elbow above the disc too which I think is the calling card for this feel/approach. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7ivLn_7p6c

McBeth does not seem to take this approach keeping his hand/wrist/elbow more in a single plane all the way through. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwYvav4xCR8
Mcbeth is to me the epitome of bent elbow where the rest of these guys are more hybrid.

These throwers approaches started to make sense because this steering wheel feel lent itself to this below elbow disc.

In general with my grip, I have noticed that I often have the disc drop below the crease at the base of my hand/wrist and this approach also does that. So I tried to force that back end of the disc back up into the crease and my grip immediately looked and felt like Simon's (to me at least).

So I went and threw a few in my yard trying this out and really thinking about swinging the back of the disc around. I naturally pulled through a little more palm down. The disc naturally had more room in the pocket, and I could feel the disc swung around and rip out more. My accuracy was off but I had no power loss and possibly a gain considering I wasn't syncing my lower body well. I need to do some more testing but wanted to put this out there to get other's input.

Do you throw this way, almost like you are spinning a steering wheel? Am I completely misinterpreting this?

Not spinning the wheel, but leveraging/throwing it. Palm down is also hammer grip, sideways pound, karate chop.

I use MJ/Wysocki fan grip, but I do grip my steering wheel with same grip but on the 4 o'clock, and same grip with pencil/pen.

blake_t said:
Why this is useful in the slightest even though it's a failure

This teaches the feel of leverage that is the focus of Swedish technique. You would never throw with this grip but it really gives a feel for how they can crank the disc around so hard even though many of them throw with very little elbow bend.

If you can find a way to combine the lever with the hammer pound you are on the right track.

Not spinning the wheel, but leveraging/throwing it. Palm down is also hammer grip, sideways pound, karate chop.

I use MJ/Wysocki fan grip, but I do grip my steering wheel with same grip but on the 4 o'clock, and same grip with pencil/pen.

So you're not doing a hammer style grip? Do you feel your grip offers more extension?

So you're not doing a hammer style grip? Do you feel your grip offers more extension?
The pressure points all feel the same, it's diagonal across the hammer and steering wheel and disc. I don't hold a hammer straight up/down Kung fu grip in the hand, it's more relaxed and spread out to allow the hammer to pivot. Most pressure in big index knuckle part of palm and thumb on back of the handle, not the side of it.

OK so I was reading the "incomplete" secret technique thread for some insights and came upon a feel drill I hadn't really tried. The "Incomplete" Secret Technique

It is Part 4 Failure #3: The Lever

In it Blake talks about holding the disc like it's a steering wheel and giving you the feel of bringing the opposite side of the disc around. I have recently been very slightly rolling my wrist under the disc which has made it easier for me to have wrist extension and I have been focusing on active extension during the hit. This has been working well for me but then I came upon this part of Blake's post…

Right before I came to this post by Blake, I had been looking at the McCray video in post 37 here. Why the Beato drill is so important.

Back to Blake's Part 4 Failure #3 post. I tried it out and immediately something clicked in my mind. This method really helped me feel bringing the back end of the disc around. When I took this approach and tried to apply it to a horizontal throw plane, I noticed a few things.
1) My grip became much more of a thumb forward power grip.
2) My wrist seemed to slightly roll more over the disc – again this variation in wrist roll is very small but the feel is dramatically different.
3) I could understand what he meant by how the Swedish technique leverages the disc this way.
4) The way this felt is the way I see a lot of people throw who seem to have more power than they should - as in their armspeed doesn't seem to be fast enough to generate the velocity they throw with. I don't know how to explain this well but you can see certain throwers where it looks like the disc is held below the plane of their forearm which I think is Swedish or can be a hybrid technique.

Watching the McCray video, I realize he looks to me like a hybrid Swedish thrower.
I see this in Double G as well where the disc is below his forearm/elbow when he is bringing it into the pocket.
Ricky also does this and is another player I've never understood how he throws so far with what appears to me to be slow arm speed.
I also have always questioned why you see pros practice pulling through with no disc and always have their palm face down pulling their fist through. Eagle does this a lot as part of his routine. He keeps the disc and elbow high in his throw but when coming into the pocket he has his hand over rather than beside the disc.

Simon does has his elbow above the disc too which I think is the calling card for this feel/approach.

McBeth does not seem to take this approach keeping his hand/wrist/elbow more in a single plane all the way through.
Mcbeth is to me the epitome of bent elbow where the rest of these guys are more hybrid.

These throwers approaches started to make sense because this steering wheel feel lent itself to this below elbow disc.

In general with my grip, I have noticed that I often have the disc drop below the crease at the base of my hand/wrist and this approach also does that. So I tried to force that back end of the disc back up into the crease and my grip immediately looked and felt like Simon's (to me at least).

So I went and threw a few in my yard trying this out and really thinking about swinging the back of the disc around. I naturally pulled through a little more palm down. The disc naturally had more room in the pocket, and I could feel the disc swung around and rip out more. My accuracy was off but I had no power loss and possibly a gain considering I wasn't syncing my lower body well. I need to do some more testing but wanted to put this out there to get other's input.

Do you throw this way, almost like you are spinning a steering wheel? Am I completely misinterpreting this?

my $.02 on the thumb forward power grip like shown in the JohnE mccray clip: I feel like this grip really provides a lot of strength and leverage against the disc ripping out of the hand at release. I experimented a lot with this after being amazed watching eagle throw putters with a grip that other members called the "suitcase grip" aka thumb forward power grip with disc held slightly below the forearm. It required quite a bit of trial and error practice to adjust for accuracy feel and nose angle control but really helped me feel the hit better than my mid palm aligned climo type grip. thumb forward power grip for me felt the most similar to gripping a hammer which a lot of us use as a great tool to exaggerate the forces we are leveraging/bracing against. I really focus on keeping the handle moving targetward into the right pec powerpocket causing the dynamic coiling tendon bounce without having to focus on the hit specifically. moving into the power pocket by keeping the lock(pinky/ring) aligned targetward as long as possible allowed me to really hit my lines well(aim with the lock) and learn not to apply power too early in the swing. anyone wishing to try throwing this way i would recommend using putter approaches 150-200' at low power to be safe. my thanks to SW and HUB for all their work teaching in the sport.

Latest posts