• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner dyer here, needing advice.

TxDiscGolfBoy

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
Have never dyed a disc, but want to start. Can anyone point me in the right direction; starting materials, which dyes, what I'll need to produce better dyes, which plastics and/or plastic colors hold which dyes/colors the best, etc.

...or point me to a thread, which I'm sure all ready exists, that explains all this.

Much appreciated.

Keep in mind....beginner dyer here, but would say I'm mentally capable of catching on to this very quickly and producing not-so beginner dyes, so would be interested in hearing some about layering colors, pattern techniques, etc.

:popcorn:

There are a lot of useful threads on here for beginners. I'd also spend half an hour watching the tutorials on youtube. That will get you started, and then feel free to ask more specific questions later.

As for supplies....
Discs
Acetone to wipe the stamp from the disc
Something to mask the disc, either contact paper or sign vinyl
A design for the disc
An exacto knife to cut the masking
Transfer tape is really helpful for getting the cut design to the disc
Rit dye
A large pan to heat the dye
Creativity

Hope this helps

When you put the Rit Dye in the pot, can you still use that pot for cooking or does it ruin the pot?

I'm sure you could throw it in the dish washer and use it, but I would just use a dedicated pot for dyeing. I got mine at goodwill for 50 cents

I don't think I'd want to eat anything from a pot/pan I used for dyeing. I always clean between colors, but still, it's a chemical, and it ain't food coloring :p

Thanks for the vids, I have a few pre cut vinyl patterns that I will be using for my first dyes, Then hopefully will get some of my own creations soon.