• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best disc golf city in the country?

Buffalo, NY/ all those "cities" within 15 miles. Hit 8 courses last june. Not one was a bust. Thanks much to the Niagra area DGers.

I'm surprised Pittsburgh isn't on your list.
Can't knock the Burgh, some great courses and thoroughly enjoyed loved my trip there, but in terms of quantity of quality courses in a compact area, I don't think it compares to Charlotte.

I certainly don't detest playing 3.0-3.5 rated courses. IMO, having a variety of good courses to throw into the mix makes playing the 4.0 + courses special.

I'm not claiming this as the gospel, but just to get things rolling, I grabbed images (same zoom setting) of the Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Charlotte areas and filtered out anything less than 18 holes (are we really going to claim a city is better for DG because it offers more niners?). DOn't like my sample, try it yourself and make your own conclusions.

Click on these and tell me what you think. I'd say Charlotte's hard to beat.

Attachments

• Detroit.jpg
    Detroit.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Pittsburgh.jpg
    Pittsburgh.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 38
  • Chartlotte.jpg
    Chartlotte.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 46
cant leave out bowling green, 8 courses in the city alone with holler right outside, definately a must see if you havent made it here yet.

Bowling Green is a good disc golf town, considering the population. I disagree though that it should be considered as a top disc golf city. Holler is 30 minutes out and it's great. Kereiakes and Hobson are both really good. Everything else is ho-hum. On top of that, there is all the politics and bickering in Bowling Green and no real club scene.

When I think of "Best disc golf cities", I think a strong club is very important to consider.

When I think of "Best disc golf cities", I think a strong club is very important to consider.
Four words: Motor City Chain Gang :thmbup:, baby!

A few more for comparison - Cincy-Dayton, Atlanta, and Allentown, PA:

Attachments

• Cincy-Dayton.jpg
    Cincy-Dayton.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Atlanta.jpg
    Atlanta.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Allentown.jpg
    Allentown.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I have been VERY fortunate in my disc golf "career"/ I learned to play in Charlotte, NC and then moved to Dallas, TX. I would vouch or add my vote for either of these cities.

Casper, WY: 55,000 people, 18 holes.

Casper DGC ... I know it's not "Metropolis," but the nearest course is 90 miles away.
Have you ever seen a lonlier looking course? :(

Attachments

• Casper.jpg
    Casper.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 24
I'll say it again. DFW doesn't have the greatest courses but it does have a lot of very good ones. What really steps it up IMO is the clubs/minis. You can find an organised game every day in driving distance from where ever you might be. You can also play a PDGA event every weekend in or close to DFW. Then you add in day trips to Austin, Tyler, Houston or Selah Ranch and you have a great spot to be. Only problem is you are in DFW... I think the disc golf is so strong becuase we have little else to do.

the santa cruz/ monterey area has some really great courses that play year round.

Lake Tahoe is awesome. So much good stuff up there.

I wonder if any location in Sweden or Finland has the density of courses to contend for "best place?"

Tahoe is up there due to the fact that there's great courses all over that are unique to one another. Also there's everything else you could desire as far as camping, hotels, restraunts, and the list goes on and on. There's one minor detail........ you can only play 6-8 months out of the year for the most part.

Tahoe is up there due to the fact that there's great courses all over that are unique to one another. Also there's everything else you could desire as far as camping, hotels, restraunts, and the list goes on and on. There's one minor detail........ you can only play 6-8 months out of the year for the most part.

I disagree, I play all year up there. Even if there is a lot of snow. Snow rounds put hair on your chest.

I wonder if any location in Sweden or Finland has the density of courses to contend for "best place?"

Great that someone brought this up! Helsinki and Stockholm are definitely known for awesome disc golf. :thmbup:

Kansas City

Courses varying in elevation, length, woodage, fairway sizes, wind negation ...

Last edited:

The four places in Europe with the highest Service Levels are:

Helsinki Finland with a Service Level of 3.94 which is 30th best in the world (behind Ludington, MI)

Bromma, Sweden with a Service Level of 3.73 which is 44th best in the world (behind North Plains, OR).

Åbo, Finland with a Service Level of 3.42 which is somewhere below top 60.

Göteborg, Sweden with a Service Level of 3.10.

Let me preface this by saying, the majority of my disc golfing takes place in Michigan. With that being said, the best city in Michigan for disc golf is Ann Arbor, MI.

I wish I lived right next store to CJ's Party Store, which has over 4,000 discs for sale. Not to mention you are like 5 miles from Hudson Mills (24 hole Original, 24 hole Monster), 9 miles from Bandemer Park (9 hole, 3 sets of tees) and maybe 5 miles from Independence Lake (two courses, seasonal).

My weekends have turned into road trips to Ann Arbor, and it's not even college football season yet. Go Blue!