• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

best discs for side arm throwers and why?

I didn't feel like reading this whole thread, but did anyone mention the Polecat?

apparently the new PD2's are sick for flicks. I currently use a 175 max quite a bit, with a ton of negative on open shots.

I throw about 275' - 300' forehand and backhand, so I'm no disc golf wizard by any means, but I've been told, and have learned myself that if you get your form down, then you can flick any disc within reason. One of the discs that I forehand as much as anything is a sidewinder, which is by no means a stable disc. It's just a matter of knowing what it will do and good throwing form. For something more stable, I forehand pro firebirds (which my understanding is that they're like the FL's). Anyway, that's my .02

Last edited:
I love how a lot of people answer the Title of the thread without reading the post that contains the actual question.:doh:

i really don't know why you need help finding discs to throw sidearm if your already throwing 450? i know if i could throw that far i sure wouldn't be asking for help id be playing some tourneys.

Get a 175g Champ teebird, if ever there was a disc made to fly straight with lots of snap, it was the teebird.

I didn't feel like reading this whole thread, but did anyone mention the Polecat?

wow i bet this guy hates all of us....

i don't think 400 forehand is that far with distance lines and open spaces....yeah 450 internet equals 400. i think if you flip up a boss it will land straight. forehands seem to leave your hand super fast so it is hard to control the disc and make it land flat like you want it to do. it is just the nature of the beast forehand is faster so you pick a more stable disc to use. snap the crap out of it and get the huge fade. i say get a teebird and learn a 350 straight landing backhand...far more useful and practical than 450 forehand landing straight.

wow i bet this guy hates all of us....

i don't think 400 forehand is that far with distance lines and open spaces....yeah 450 internet equals 400. i think if you flip up a boss it will land straight. forehands seem to leave your hand super fast so it is hard to control the disc and make it land flat like you want it to do. it is just the nature of the beast forehand is faster so you pick a more stable disc to use. snap the crap out of it and get the huge fade. i say get a teebird and learn a 350 straight landing backhand...far more useful and practical than 450 forehand landing straight.

This is a good start, but Teebirds are a little more versatile than everyone gives them credit for. Learn how to drive 300' sidearm with your Teebird (straight flight, slight fade) and you'll be golden.

I started out Disc Golf as a sidearm-only thrower, but after switching it up to RHBH and discin' down' I've discovered I don't need Speed 10's to fling. In fact, I can get the same distance and more consistency out of a fairway driver.

If you're trying to work on form for your max D RHFH tee-shots, I would recommend getting a Champ. Teebird or Eagle-X and learning how to throw those discs before moving up to your Bosses and Nukes

If you can't sidearm a zephyr quit throwing the GD overstable crap until you can.

Here are some good "forehand" (sidearm) discs that I like:
Groove (some people hate it, I like it...but most don't have the arm to properly control it)
Star Katana (make sure you buy the star plastic!)
Champion Beast
Champion Orc
Champion Xcaliber
Teebird
Champion TL

Mighty fine Roc you have there in your avatar NovaDiscHead...I bet that thing has no glide though, probably sits down nice on an up shot...

I've noticed the less I post, the farther I throw. I use to jump putt around 300', but am now down to 250'. im about to give up on this site if i lose anymore distance. I can't imagine living without my 750' drives.

I've noticed the less I post, the farther I throw. I use to jump putt around 300', but am now down to 250'. im about to give up on this site if i lose anymore distance. I can't imagine living without my 750' drives.

I hope this is sarcastic...

Because you only have 15 posts... :|

i've been noticing lots of low-post-count hatin. i just joined this site because of my recent obsession with disc golf, but i'm about 800 posts away from being anywhere close to accepted. I do appreciate all the good advice and strategy I've learned from a bunch of you on this site.

anyways, i recently switched to throwing RHFH about 80% of the time when I previously threw RHBH 100%. I really like throwing the Z Force for distance and Opto XXX for everything else. throwing the XXX FH is what made me switch to FH in the first place. The XXX is also great for thumbers

Pottersmash,

Congratulations on your "obsession" with disc golf (or condolences, depending :D )!
As for this site, I'm guessing it's no different than just about any other clique; if you're out you're out and if you're in you're in.
Pay heed to logical comments, take all with a grain of salt, try to separate the wheat from the chaff, and most of all have fun with a pretty neat sport.

Karl