• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

best discs for side arm throwers and why?

anyone notice the less the post count the further they throw?

the less posts and the less punctuation, the further they throw.

BTW am I the only one to find it extremely ridiculous to ask for a disc for a forehand ? It's like asking "what disc is best for backhand?" ! AS if you only ever throw one kind of backhand, in one distance, and nothing else ever.

Last edited:
try a starfire if you wanna try Innova. either the SL or S molds are great sidearm.

i've been noticing lots of low-post-count hatin. i just joined this site because of my recent obsession with disc golf, but i'm about 800 posts away from being anywhere close to accepted. I do appreciate all the good advice and strategy I've learned from a bunch of you on this site.

I learn from the posts, was a member for awhile before I made my first post.. really hate forums.. more of an IRC person, but I am seeing where they are useful.:popcorn:
Anyway I am starting to get back to RHBH for my drive, so this thread is of some interest for me, because I throw FH for my drives and BH for anything requiring finesse. I couldn't FH a putt accurately if my life depended on it.
After reading the suggestions I am going to mix up my bag a bit with some of the discs I got just for dyeing and see if that works. Will add a beast and eagle as soon as they get some dye on them. Also might try some variances in weight, most of the discs I throw are 170+.. going to choke down a bit and see if the 160's do me better or if that is just too light.

If you can't sidearm a zephyr quit throwing the GD overstable crap until you can.

This is the best post in this thread. I learned more about how to properly throw a forehand tossing around a SuperHero than by anything else I've tried. I don't throw 450' FH, or anything close to that, but I'm getting to the point that I can control it a little better, and not just torque the crap out of everything.

Also, my earlier post was only half sarcastic. If the op can actually throw 450' with a Destroyer or whatever, he should be able to throw a putter 300 or more.

At OP.

HMMMM... If you want it to finish straight, and if the nuke doesn't do it for you, then I suggest you try a vision or monarch and see if you can get it to hyzer flip. If it still fades too much for you, Sidewinder.

Last edited:
i've been noticing lots of low-post-count hatin. i just joined this site because of my recent obsession with disc golf, but i'm about 800 posts away from being anywhere close to accepted. I do appreciate all the good advice and strategy I've learned from a bunch of you on this site.

i'm not hating, i started with 1 post like everyone else. there is just alot of people who join the site and start talking about how far they throw. it is usually exaggerated (except katch). since i have many posts i easily admit to throwing 450 inches.

I play 60/40 BH-FH. And in my FH-game I use and Zone for on shorter approach shots, beat dx teebird for anny, hyzer-flip and a 11x Teebird for straight shots with fade, Z predator for flex, spikes and big hyzers and a wraith for distance off tee(s-curves and hyzer-flips).I can FH my Teebird 330 and a wraith out to 350( not that much differences in distance but the wraith get there faster and on a different line). So I say Zone-Teebird-Predator-Wraith and you have a solid discs for your BH or FH game. Good Luck!!!

If your throwing 450 then a destroyer shouldn't be fading too horribly.

just seems to fade and end never at beggining but cant seem to get it to fall straight

Throwing 450' sidearm, maybe you should be the one giving us advice.

its about all i can do is throw far it seems like my short game sucks

First off, no you are not throwing 450'. Don't mean to be an ass, but at 450' a destroyer doesn't "hook too hard". I max out at about 420' and thats hyzer flipping a destroyer forehand.

Go back to basics and throw discs like:

Buzzz
Teebird
Eagle
Beast

The Buzzz and Teebird are great learning tools, if you are able to keep them straight or on hyzers out over 300' (real 300')

As for form: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27383
first never said i throw a destroyer 450 i said i throw my havoc up to 450 max just named my other drivers thats all and i play every single day in top courses im not bragging i suck at short game but can absolutley throw over 420 have done it many times

if you have a 450' forehand, then why aren't you on pdga tour???

lol im not even the furthest thrower out of my group and we all think we are amatuers let me get this straight i dont throw 450 everytime just have thrown pretty close multiple times i couldnt repeat every throw

throw something other than a super speed overstable driver, if you don't already. from the sound of things you're chucking some of the fastest and most extreme discs that so far exist. go to a disc store that has lots of different molds and brands and just see what feels good in a forehand grip. there are tons of discs from a boss to a zone that i think feel great to throw forehand.

tx for input i have been trying to hit the store up here and there to test some out

i really don't know why you need help finding discs to throw sidearm if your already throwing 450? i know if i could throw that far i sure wouldn't be asking for help id be playing some tourneys.

what i am asking for is something that dont hook so much at the end thats all, i know i can throw somewhat far but that is the only thing good in my game right now

wow i bet this guy hates all of us....

i don't think 400 forehand is that far with distance lines and open spaces....yeah 450 internet equals 400. i think if you flip up a boss it will land straight. forehands seem to leave your hand super fast so it is hard to control the disc and make it land flat like you want it to do. it is just the nature of the beast forehand is faster so you pick a more stable disc to use. snap the crap out of it and get the huge fade. i say get a teebird and learn a 350 straight landing backhand...far more useful and practical than 450 forehand landing straight.

tx for input i appreciate it

Last edited by a moderator:
Teebird is good suggestion, as is Gazelle. You should be able to throw both flat and have them land pretty close to your target point.

Deal is if you want to throw flat and straight you are going to have to give up some distance. 300 to 350' accurate is probably better than spraying the bowl with 450' of diarrhea anyways.

I am not a big distance thrower, my max d is just over 300' but that is dead level straight, no hyzer or anny, and low...obviously I give up distance not throwing big hzyer flips or flexes but I have a pretty tight group from 250' in and am not all over the place on my max distance throws either. I pride myself in throwing a gazelle flat as far as many throw their katanas and other silly discs.

If you don't play in the woods I wouldn't even worry.

My favorite sidearm disc is my Champion Destroyer. I also LOVE my Starfire, not the best for long range but it is my most reliable.

When I sidearm with a putter, I can always rely on the Zone putter. I can even get nice spike anhyzer approach shots with it.

Depends on how you get your discs to go that far. If you're throwing your discs very high, they will probably fade a fair amount at the end of their flights unless they are on an anny line. I would suggest a max weight champ beast that is a little beat. Or just beat up your destroyer a little bit more, so it doesn't fade as much, though it will cost you a little bit of high speed stability.

Star Destroyers and Z Forces for max D

Whippet X for everything else.

Why? Thats just what i like..

just seems to fade and end never at beggining but cant seem to get it to fall straight

its about all i can do is throw far it seems like my short game sucks

first never said i throw a destroyer 450 i said i throw my havoc up to 450 max just named my other drivers thats all and i play every single day in top courses im not bragging i suck at short game but can absolutley throw over 420 have done it many times

lol im not even the furthest thrower out of my group and we all think we are amatuers let me get this straight i dont throw 450 everytime just have thrown pretty close multiple times i couldnt repeat every throw

tx for input i have been trying to hit the store up here and there to test some out

what i am asking for is something that dont hook so much at the end thats all, i know i can throw somewhat far but that is the only thing good in my game right now

tx for input i appreciate it

Havoc
Difficulty 6
Speed 13
Glide 6
High Speed Stability -1
Low Speed Stability 3

Destroyer
Difficulty 6
Speed 12
Glide 5
High Speed Stability -1
Low Speed Stability 3

Havocs and Destroyers have the same High Speed Stability so it really doesn't matter which you are throwing. Neither should "hook hard at the end" on a 450' forehand shot (unless you are throwing a flex shot or hyzer lol). This is due to the difference between forehand and backhand throws. I won't go into it completely but basically forehands don't spin as fast as backhands in comparison to velocity, so they turn over easier. Therefore, at 450' a destroyer or havoc will turn more with a forehand than it will a backhand.

If you are mistaking "hook hard at the end" for the natural fade of a disc then you just need to know that discs fade and you can't get past it. If it's not fading, it's potential hasn't been reached. I have never thrown a disc that does not fade. It won't happen. Even your flippiest of flippy driver will fade if you get it high enough and/or at the right angle (pros make use of this in distance competitions with very flippy discs). A disc that does not fade and just goes straight all the way to the ground did not have enough air under it to complete the full flight. You can make use of that by throwing lower (at a designated spot on the ground) so that you might throw a straight shot that hits right before the basket and skids up next to the pin.

Also to go with forehand/backhand spin, the lack of spin makes it fade harder than backhand at equal distances.

As for discs that go straight with minimal fade then, again, use the buzzz and teebird.