• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Exercises For Improving

Achasteen

I am wondering what are the best arm exercises for improving your throw. Which exercises help give you distance? Have any good YouTube videos that you use for training. Thanks!

I looked for the video with Simon Lizote and Eagle McMahon bench pressing 350 lbs in the gym but surprisingly I couldn't find it. :)

Here is one with Ricky Wyscoki, though.

Yeah, Avery could snap Simon and Eagle in half at the same time, but they both throw farther than him. He does throw farther than all of us of course though.

I like to grab a 25lb plate and swing it back and forth across my chest. Works a lot of muscles groups at one time.

I think plyo helps the disc golf game the most. It helps you connect your core to the ground in an explosive way. Do a ton of box jumps and whatnot.

If you want to improve your average score then work on putting and your technique. Huge distance is less important for low scores, at least on the courses I play on. Besides, huge distance comes with great technique, it's not really a muscle thing

Given that power generation in disc golf is very similar to ball golf, I would think that any of the plethora of golf exercise videos would be a good starting point. Here's a piece from the golf channel talking about Dustin Johnson's core focused routine:

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/strength-speed-and-rotation-dj/

As far as good technique being required for power, obviously that's the case. However the idea that also improving strength and athleticism isn't going to make a difference is ridiculous. Just look at the PGA tour, and take a look at the guys that can really bomb it: Johnson, McIlroy, Day, Koepka, Woods (in his prime). They all have good technique, but also put a ton of time into strength and conditioning.

Eagle pretty much has the biggest power on tour and his biceps are thinner than my wrists

A big thumbs up for the core exercises! I injured my back this spring and alot of it stemmed from me being lazy and not working on it. I'm an older guy and the older you get the more important it is.

Eagle pretty much has the biggest power on tour and his biceps are thinner than my wrists

You don't throw with your biceps. I'd be willing to bet he has a very powerful core.

Before I classified him as a 90 pound weakling, I'd have to see him with his shirt off.

Eagle and most other long throwers are also very FLEXIBLE! Stretching is very important, in addition to other exercises already mentioned by others.

You don't throw with your biceps. I'd be willing to bet he has a very powerful core.

Before I classified him as a 90 pound weakling, I'd have to see him with his shirt off.

I could be wrong, but I believe there is video and or Eagle showing/quoting he can do like 1 or 2 push ups. Simon, Eagle seem to reply on flexibility, natural large wing span (ie: high ape index) to get amazing arm speed. I think others like Paul, Drew, GG, etc do reply on a bit more strength, explosive power, to get similar results.