• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Best FH Drivers

SuperWookie

Birdie Member
Looking for a new FH driver disc. I've been getting a lot better with my FH lately (finally) and looking for some really good Max distance FH disc suggestions. I'm a RHBH, RHFH thrower.

I currently either throw my Discmania FD2 Color Glow Leo Piironen or PD Swirly S-Line Lone Howl as my FH discs. The FD2 is more neutral, doesn't cut right as fast, and I use it more often for FH shots. And the PD is more just my "driver" FH disc that will cut right if I don't throw it well.

So now that my form is getting better and my distance is getting better on FH, I want to find a good Max distance FH driver. Something that can get me a nice Max distance S shape drive, but ALWAYS finish right. Has good glide and is easy to throw.

I only have Discmania, Lat64 and Prodigy discs for the most part (love them), and would prefer to stay with one of those companies, but would be willing to look at other brands if it's an incredible disc.

Also something else. I LOVE that the FD2 is so super flat and thin. It just feels amazing in my hand for a FH and NO other disc feels so good for a FH. But... I know that usually a flatter disc doesn't have as much glide and discs with more dome usually glide more? So I'm hoping to find a disc that not only has amazing glide, but if possible, flat top or at least not super domey. And I really would prefer a disc with a smaller rim width and more rim depth. I really don't like Max distance drivers with their super thin rim depth and super wide rim width for FH. But I know in order to get a Max distance FH disc, I'll have to put up with wider and shallower rims. But... if possible, I'd like it to feel more like the FD2 rim, or as close as possible.

The few discs I've been considering trying for this disc are the:

-Discmania DD3, Enigma or DDx
-Prodigy D1, D1 Max, D2, D2 Max or X3
-Lat64 Flow
-Kastaplast Grym

Thanks

The D2 is ridiculous Distance and glide IF you get one you can turn a little. Also a Pharaoah (Shryke?) beats into a ridiculous glider with less fade. My FH sux, so I have a 150g Teebird and a 154g Getaway that I use forearm-only because they're light. Of course, that's not what you're looking for. I say all that to set up this: if I had a good forehand, I would use the same discs that I backhand with.

I thought you wanted FW discs, not FH?

Lots of discs work well for..... FH. I like Star Wraiths and seasoned PFN Xcals for max D. You can find flat ones pretty easily.

FH is my specialty. My main FH distance drivers are the Wraith, Thunderbird & Valkyrie. From what you're asking for I think a Star Wraith would be a great option. That said, I get a lot done with my Glow Champion Valkyrie (max weight) for FH distance. I've had the same reliability with several flat stock Champion Valkyries as well.

The Force is my all time fav forehand driver. Nice chunky rim and super consistent flight. Once you beat one in a little, it is the perfect forehand driver in all conditions.
I have never worried about my Force being nose angle sensitive. It may not be a max distance forehand driver but it will land where you need it to more often than not.

I don't advise that most players throw what I do for Forehand, but depending on the power and style of the player I usually recommend a Sword, Tresspass, Wraith or DDX. If they already have very good power a Giant, Destroyer or Force.

Lots of recommendations for Wraith or Valk which I can't argue with. My favorite fh disc is an Orion LS, basically a beefier Valk. I actually prefer a beat in Orion LF, but for long, off the shelf S curve flights it's hard to beat the LS.

Personally I don't think 's' flight patterns are reliable for forehand throws (anny lines not withstanding). We have higher torque and thus need torque resistance (no/low turn) and I want a bit less fade to maintain a straight flight without dumping once it slows (since we have less spin).

I recently went through a forehand max distance exercise (for hyzer or at most flat release) and while not exhaustive have a few favs:

Shryke to around 350 but easy distance (too flippy at 400ft of power). Best beginner fh.
Ballista 400 as 's' as it gets without being too flippy but I refuse to throw it in the wind. My recommendation for moderate power fhs
Ballista pro 425ish similar wind issues but can gooo
Hysteria 425ish laser straight on a smash - this is my control fh driver since I got it. Have a busted p-line for fh hyzer flips and is irreplaceable for me - found the wraith inferior
Boss 450+ Possibly best max d. Decent wind fighter.
Force 450+ Possibly best control + d. Have a z for straight d and an old domey ti that doesn't know what wind is and huge fades right.

I can attest that the Enigma is a phenomenally feeling forehand disc.

Is the rim shape and profile of the Enigma very similar to the FD? I can barely find any photos of the Enigma from the side and underneath, but the one photo I could find, looked almost dead on like a wider rim version of an FD? If so, I'm buying like 3-5 of these in different weights! Thanks

I took a very large stack of "hybrid" type drivers out to a field to find out which one I could get farthest with a flap rip. I throw FH like... 300 ft max or so just FYI, mostly I'm not driving them but rather getting out of trouble or shaping shots in the woods, just to give an idea.

The Sword for me goes farthest, followed closely by a grouping of just about everything else I tried.

With this in mind, I might recommend something you can grow into, like a mold which is available in a variety of plastics and stabilities... I recommend a nice Pro or Star Wraith around 168g, bit of a dome if you can manage.

EDIT: outside of the distance workhorse category, I like FH teebirds and FDs in the woods. Don't be afraid of trying out molds that aren't typically super flat, flatness and stiffness not required. Mortars are amazing as far as mids go, right in that goldilocks area of stability. Zones are a classic, but for me they are in a weird tweener slot where they are a little too fast and skippy for touchy upshots, but don't go far enough to drive. I prefer a premium rhyno + mortar or Caiman (easier/cheaper than a mortar, very similar) for a short FH one+two punch.

Last edited:
Not necessarily

All I'm saying is if you look at disc A. and disc B., both same mold and plastic, and disc B sits a couple mm higher on its flight plate with the same PLH, I would put my money on disc B for higher glide

All I'm saying is if you look at disc A. and disc B., both same mold and plastic, and disc B sits a couple mm higher on its flight plate with the same PLH, I would put my money on disc B for higher glide

Often, yes. Always? nope.

My most overstable Cannon (turn/fade of -3/3 allegedly) is more 0 or +1/5 and is at best 7/10. Most domey disc you'd ever feel, the definition of pop top. My most understable Cannon that's an 8 or higher on the Sleepy scale is flat as a board. -4/2 or so I would guess? I own 30ish Cannons FWIW.

Sure you can argue I'm not getting it up to speed but that's a joke...I have an arm and I know it. Maybe Simon or PmB could somehow find the glide in that thing but unless you throw 600' or more that dome means nothing.