• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Holes, Period

So I intended Hole 12 to be the signature hole, but Tony had the bright idea to extend 13. His vision was golden.

I vaguely remember you talking about that. You want to make a long hole out in the field with a couple small ponds or something?...

Locomotive Hole #8 at Central: Bryan hasn't updated the new layout on here yet, but the new hole 8 is just an incredible(ly punishing) par 5. You start at the base of a hill and the first shot is a forehand or turnover up about 40 feet to an LZ, then a hard RHBH hyzer turn to a tight wooded fairway, with the last 60-65 feet or so in the open to a pin on a slight slope. On a course with 4 or 5 signature-level holes already, this new one takes the cake.

Hole 9 Easley: just an absolute crush over a soccer field followed by a technical upshot. Hole 11 could also qualify, but the crush shot factor of hole 9 definitely ups the ante.

Hole 5 Steady Ed: Another huge tee shot to a placement upshot, except this time with water. Steady is my favorite IDGC course, and there are several great holes, but Hole 5 is I think my favorite. Or 11. Or 17. Or 12. Or 9.....

Hole 1 W.R. Jackson: I just really love the way the fairway sets up on this hole. It's a true golf hole.

Langley Pond: I can't really name a favorite because this course is just a beat down every time I go and play...but it's gorgeous and difficult and perfect.

Hole 12 Boyd Pond Park: It's not a very difficult hole, but in the B position this hole is super fun to play. A booming placement drive leaves you with a relatively easy upshot, but it's just such a fun drive to throw. Hole 18 is honorary mention for the same reason, it's just such a fun "top-of-the-world" type shot (although it isn't quite at Dela 27 level)

Hole 17 Mt. Airy: just such a cool fairway. The ideal LZ is pretty small and changes throughout the length of the fairway too, making it super rewarding to hit and a difficult but fun improvisational shot if you miss it.

Langley Pond: I can't really name a favorite because this course is just a beat down every time I go and play...but it's gorgeous and difficult and perfect.

I don't know the number, but there's a hole on the back nine that is one of he most adventurous I've played. It tees over water; on the far side are two fairway options cut through the woods, but going up a big hill. Over the hill, the fairway dips down a little and then back up---a saddle, of sorts---bending right, as I recall---and the woods on the left open up to be atop a cliff over the lake. Or where the lake will be, when it fills, so it's oblivion for discs fading left. Then it continues back in the woods for a while, to a basket on a cool wooded green. By the time you hole out, all sorts of things may have happened.

I'm not as big a Langley Pond fan as some, but that's quite a hole. I think of it as more of a signature hole than the fishhook-shaped one with the basket set between two trees, that they use on their logo.

Hole 11 Ozark Mountain has to be mentioned somewhere. It's always been called the 1-800-collect hole. I want to say it plays about 800-900 feet straight down a mountain with huge pines lining both sides of about a 25 foot wide fairway.
Taking a 6 on this hole is not the worse thing that can happen.

I don't know the number, but there's a hole on the back nine that is one of he most adventurous I've played. It tees over water; on the far side are two fairway options cut through the woods, but going up a big hill. Over the hill, the fairway dips down a little and then back up---a saddle, of sorts---bending right, as I recall---and the woods on the left open up to be atop a cliff over the lake. Or where the lake will be, when it fills, so it's oblivion for discs fading left. Then it continues back in the woods for a while, to a basket on a cool wooded green. By the time you hole out, all sorts of things may have happened.

I'm not as big a Langley Pond fan as some, but that's quite a hole. I think of it as more of a signature hole than the fishhook-shaped one with the basket set between two trees, that they use on their logo.

That'd be hole 15 and I agree it's probably more their signature hole; I heard back when the course opened the short tee would be on a dock built out into that little cove area. If they ever do that it'll definitely be the signature.

I agree that the fishhook hole isn't really a signature hole worthy (I'm not a big fan of the design of it, but it is what it is). The green on it just sets up as such a perfect logo though so I'm fine with that.

You could probably also argue hole 18 is the signature as the hugeeeee top of the world shot but I feel like the OB comes into play a bit too much for it to really be a solid bomber shot.

It's hard enough to name a "best course". How to sort out a "best hole"?

Unlike a course, it's hard to have variety, though I can think of one that has elevation, open area, tight wooded, O.B., scenic beauty, scoring spread, a low-ceiling drive, and a dangerous green, rolled into one. Not particularly roller-friendly, nor lefty/righty balanced, though.

But not the cool-factor that top-of-the-world shots, true island holes (an island green surrounded by water), or holes with truly unique features have. When I think of "best holes", I tend to drift towards "favorite holes", and it's these unique ones that come to mind.

It's hard enough to name a "best course". How to sort out a "best hole"?

Unlike a course, it's hard to have variety, though I can think of one that has elevation, open area, tight wooded, O.B., scenic beauty, scoring spread, a low-ceiling drive, and a dangerous green, rolled into one. Not particularly roller-friendly, nor lefty/righty balanced, though.

But not the cool-factor that top-of-the-world shots, true island holes (an island green surrounded by water), or holes with truly unique features have. When I think of "best holes", I tend to drift towards "favorite holes", and it's these unique ones that come to mind.

Would that be Hole 16 at Hyzer Creek? It's a 461' Par 5 but the pics don't do it justice. I only played it twice but I did par and birdie it but both of my drives were absolutely perfect, plus it was the end hole for me for round 1 of this years April Showers tournament. It could also be 12 though.

Would that be Hole 16 at Hyzer Creek? It's a 461' Par 5 but the pics don't do it justice. I only played it twice but I did par and birdie it but both of my drives were absolutely perfect, plus it was the end hole for me for round 1 of this years April Showers tournament. It could also be 12 though.

Nope, not Hyzer Creek, haven't been there.

Latest posts