• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best NC courses not Charlotte Area

If anyone feels a need to mention an unlisted course to Opti, how about doing it in a private message ? I know for a fact that some of the course owners do not want the exposure.

I only mentioned listed privates.

haha surely he did not say that about forest hills?!? I mean yea its a solid WIDE open course but has NO elevation change, scenic factor (unless you like watching thug nastys drive by bumbing in their hummers) and its a temp course! Hybrid Hills is THE only temp course that comes halfway close to the likes of Sugaree and Ashe.. I like Simple Pleasures MUCH more than forest hills, and you know Im not biased

lol. best course in NC huh? lols. O robert. how i love to laugh at u

Just move away from NC and non-Charlottee courses I miss most are
Fox Chase
Ashe Co. Park
Lake Reidsville
Yadkinville
Creekside (Archdale)
Buckhorn
Glenn C. Hilton
Ramcat Ridge (private)
Bradford (ok its close to Charlotte but fun factor is way high)

courses in nc

I would have to say that Sugaree, Bear Tree, and Ashe County Park are my top 3 courses in NC, Charlotte included. Understand I lived in Charlotte last year so I know all of those courses and love them very much. Understand my bias to mountain courses since I went to Appalachian State :). The extinct Bracketts Bluff would have been in the top 5 but it is gone now :(. After those two I think Richmond Hill, Yadkin Park, Castle Hayne, and Glenburnie are my other favorite NC destinations. Highland Hills is a nice course but I feel like I am in danger of breaking a leg every time I play a round there.

Opti-tracker

This guys method of operation is to drive all night, then play all day. He could be on your local course as we speak. Look for a really big guy and be sure to tell him that Pennsylvania courses suck, then run for your life.

He's a ten-foot tall beast man, who showers in vodka, and feeds his baby shrimp scampi.

Castle Hayne is hopelessly over-rated. I guess since you're staying in Jacksonville, go ahead and play it -- but it's definitely nothing special.

Good point there.....I have not been there since 2009 (I left Stumpy and when to Brackett's Bluff where I met you for the first time). Things certainly could have been softened up or broken in a little since then. The pictures on this site however look very similar to what I remember in regards to fairway width, shape and shule density (brutal....much moreso than Nevin).

These are holes that most clearly knock down the playing experience for me:
<snip snip>
......I spent 20 minutes detailing my beef with holes 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12 along with pictures....and then I gave up and deleted it since the pictures are from even before I played and maybe improvements have been made. And then there are holes 14-18 that are just not pretty and are just not my cup of tee in the challenge factor (they range from interesting/OK to boring).

I am not down on the course at all.....other than setting the expectation that the course is not an A-grade course in my book. I have it rated at 87 - the low end of B+ (3.5). In the 85- 89 range I have these courses that offer a similar level of "addiction factor" (how often I would play if equidistant):

Buckhorn, Cedar Hills, Cliff Stephens, Davidson, De Laveaga, Eastway Park, Elon - Angry Beaver, Elon Park - Mule Trail, Glenn Hilton, Idlewild - KY, Johnson Street , Lake Russell, Lakeview, Lemon Lake - Blue, Maple Hill, Mars Hill College, Pendleton King, Rankin Lake Park, Reedy Creek, Riverview, Sugaw Creek - 18, Timmons, Valley Springs, Victor Ashe, Winged Deer, WR Jackson Memorial

Addict factor, I'll agree, I'd probably play Sugaw more if they were next to each other. But I would do that with Renny too. Stumpy can be brutal, not there are a lot of birdies out there. I've played a bunch of tighter courses, in spots, Idlewild, RL Smith, Winget, and Elon Angry Beaver are all tighter.
There are a number of improvements at Stumpy including the concrete tee pads and short pads. I keep meaning to put some new pictures up but I can't do it from work, and the last thing I do when I get home at night is sit by the computer. I'll take some new pictures this spring, maybe you'll be down again and we can play and get your thoughts. There is a PDGA B Tier this year at Stumpy in March, so if anyone wants to experience it in tournament setup, get on it. Advanced and Pro 2 rounds modified long, 2 rounds short. Everyone else 4 rounds short. Its a Spike Hyzer event.

Anyone else feel spoiled (and very thankful) about the seemingly endless number of really good courses in NC. I've had the pleasure of living in Raleigh and now in Charlotte - great courses all over.

Having moved here from NJ 5 years ago - I definitely appreciate all of the courses available within a short drive. In NJ, I had to drive 45+ minutes (and cross states) to get to Warwick (NY) or Tinicum (PA). Now within 45 I have all of the Charlotte courses, Rock Hill, Albemarle, Mooresville, G-Town, etc. That's at least 20 good to great courses.

I am in Kinston.

Barnet is a great course.
I played Glenburnie this weeked at the PDGA. The course was in GREAT shape.

Yes, there are many really nice courses in NC. Opti, you should just figure out a rough schedule, and throw it out there. I am sure you'll get many offers for guides, playing partners and beer buddies. I travel a lot for work so I may be able to meet you in any number of places. I want to watch a PA guy that has never seen any wooded golf play put courses. :D;)

Latest posts