• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Destination FLORIDA

wellsbranch250

Double Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Destination Florida

Florida is one of the best places to be during the winter months, especially if you're itching to throw a round in a pair of shorts. So where are the hotspots? Well, there are lots of great course sprinkled across the State of Florida. Having played over a hundred state courses myself and borrowing notes from other state residents, Thrembo, Reposado, Peter S and Mr Butlertron to name a few, here are the places I recommend among the many destination regions of Florida.

TAMPA BAY
This metro area is just littered with top state courses and it should be destination number 1 for those looking to play a handful of great courses. Picnic Island, Cliff Stephens, Edward Medard, Taylor and Cypress all find the Top 15 on DGCR. In addition, new comer Oldsmar is one of the toughest courses in the state being an 8,500 foot monster par 60 from the gold tees. Oldsmar has white and red tees as well for those not looking for a beat down. In addition there are a bunch of other really good course to fit in between stops, such as Tocobaga, 22nd street, Coachman, USF and Limona.

Writer Picks
Challenge – Oldsmar, Cypress, Cliff Stephens
Beauty – Picnic, Edward Medard, Taylor, Tocobaga
Fun – Taylor, Coachman
Family - Azalea

ORLANDO
Great things just seem to come in pairs in the land of Disney. Take a break from the park scene and spend an afternoon visiting one of the areas 3 multi-course parks. Bill Frederick Park, arguable one of the best multi-course parks in the state has 3 courses with all very much different styles. The Original Bill Frederick Turkey Lake course is a very good course outright and is one of the oldest in the state. T2 is a gem, full of challenge, uniqueness and fun. The woods course at Bill Frederick is a different animal with lots of snaking tunnel fairways. Another great multi-course park is River City Nature Park. The Alpha course is a relaxing hide-away with looks to kill.

Writer Picks
Challenge – Bill Frederick T2, Gordan Barnett - Parkside
Beauty – River City Nature Park - Alpha
Fun – Bill Frederick - Turkey Lake
Family – Turkey Lake

MIAMI/FT LAUDERDALE/WEST PALM BEACH
This is the only part of the state that I never made it to. So I am relying heavily on Peter S's, Reposado's and Thrembo's notes. Lots of very good courses it appears, but none that are head and shoulder above another. The Jet Stream appears to get the most acclaim and is full of unique holes and has the most elevation. There aren't really any challenging beasts out in this area, but the Commons has a ton of water so bring a floater

Writer Picks
Challenge – Commons
Beauty – Tradewinds
Uniqueness – Jet Stream
Fun – Plantation, Markham

SARASOTA
Siesta Key is consistently rated as one of the top beaches in the World, sugar white sand and hordes of beautiful people. Two courses make DGCRs top 30 and they are both best played during the winter months. Lakeview is a short technical course with lots of shallow water. Be sure and bring a retriever, there are gators here. North Water Tower is longer and is just as technical as Lakeview, but this course can still be appreciated by recreation players.

Writer Picks
Challenge – North Water Tower Park
Beauty – Lakeview Park
Quick Fun – Payne Park

NAPLES/FT MYERS/PORT CHARLOTTE
There are two standout courses in this region. First the Preserve, a challenging gem with fairways lined with palms instead of pines. This is Thrembo's home course, be sure and reach out to him if you're in the area. He's very knowable about the area courses and is a blast to throw with. The other notable course is Estero, with 3 sets of tees. Be sure and play the tees aligned to your skill level as this course can eat your plastic. Hole 3 is a 400 foot water clear from the gold tees, good luck.

Writer Picks
Challenge – Estero (gold tees), The Preserve, Ft Myers
Beauty – The Preserve, Estero
Elevation – Estero
Quick Fun – Palm Springs

DESTIN
This area has arguably the best beaches in North Florida. White sand, gentle waves and sunny skies, this place is the perfect relaxing mind clearer, and the area courses are very much the same. Ferry Park is the perfect example. Lots of 200 to 250 foot ace runs with just enough obstacles to keep it fun. Anderson Pond a short drive to the north and is technical beauty with a bit more length. Anderson has gotten a lot of updates over the past year and has been become one the local favorites for those looking for a greater challenge.

Writer Picks
Challenge – Anderson Pond
Beauty – Anderson Pond
Uniqueness – Chain Dragon
Relaxing – Ferry

PANAMA CITY
Well, unfortunately not the greatest selection of disc golf courses in town. But there's a great course located just a 45 minute drive north of downtown. There you'll find The Bear which is located on Compass Lake and hosts the largest elevation change I ever experienced in Florida. Hole 11 is a 50 foot plus down shot looking out over the lake. The property has RV hook-ups and cabins for rental as well.

Writer Picks
Challenge – The Bear, Bay Memorial
Beauty – The Bear
Ace Runs – FSU

JACKSONVILLE
If you don't mind paying to play for your course, Jacksonville has you covered. The newest gem in town is New World which for me, felt like playing on an alien landscape. Half of the course plays on a dredged sand dune and its natural erosion has created the most picturesque property that I've ever played. The course had some issues this past summer with months of heavy rain and hurricanes, but it should now be a perfect time to play. The course is sporting a "favorited" percentage of 25 percent, the highest in the state.

Writer Picks
Uniqueness – New World
Beauty – New World
Downtown – Springfield
Fun – Out Yonder, Fore Palms

TALLAHASSEE
Probably not most people's destination but the city is located along the I10 corridor. Two of the states top courses are located here. Tom Brown, although not in the top ten, it will be once it hits the magic number of 11 reviews. The original Tom Brown was a great course that was redesigned in early 2017. Its now one of the top courses in the state offering everything a well-traveled player wants in a course; Fun, Challenge, Beauty, Character and Uniqueness. In addition, Tallahassee hosts the toughest course in the state with Jack McLean. This course has 350 to 400 foot long holes with bending 20 foot wide fairways.

Writer Picks
Challenge – Jack McLean, Tom Brown
Beauty – Tom Brown, Jack McLean,
Fun – Tom Brown

I75 CORRIDOR
Cities like Lake City, Gainesville and Ocala are likely not anyone's destination. But those that are traveling by car will pass by some really great courses. The gem without a doubt is Magnolia located just outside of Lake City near the intersection of I10 and I75. Beautiful carved wooded fairways that will have players constantly pulling out their camera. Be sure to call into the park office in advance. They have odd hours.

Writer Picks
Challenge – Magnolia, Sawmill
Beauty – Magnolia, Ocala Greenway
Fun – Northside, Jonesville
Quick Fun – Lake Okahumpka
Georgia I75 – Freedom Park

Cheers all, and happy shooting
Wellsbranch250
Mark Blazer

Great summary WB250. I might head down to Sarasota. I've played North Water Tower but Lakeview looks interesting. Maybe stop at Payne or GT Bray in Bradenton on the way back up to Tampa.

I'm at 84 (DGCR) Florida played now. Magnolia goes down January 19th. It's been on my wishlist longer than any other course. Picking up a couple Jacksonville courses too. Excited! In March we get the last two Miami area listed courses. About the only FL, I'll have left is around Daytona, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, and Pensacola plus a few oddballs here and there.

The first day of winter. Looks like it's going to be a rough one in SW Florida. Our high temps are only going to be in the low 80's today...

Perhaps an addendum to the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area:

There is a dg course at Orangebrook Country Club in Hollywood (just south of Ft Lauderdale)...it is 18 holes with multiple par 4's and a par 5...reasonable cost at $13 ($3 for the course and $10 for a cart rental)...Collared shirt a must, while it will be the longest course in Broward it is arguably about equal with Trades, Heritage, and Markham as far as the area must plays...no weekends before at least 12 noon.

As far as Miami-Dade county, Kendall Indian Hammocks is a nice play, two courses with various pin positions, worth the drive if you're in Miami or not far away. There is a 21 hole course near the Homestead Air Reserve Base with a few par 4's, but it's a haul just from Miami, let alone Broward or Palm Beach counties. I'll second what the OP mentioned about Commons and Okee, they are the must plays in West Palm and there is recent course film if you're traveling there to show you what it is like at each course (South Florida Open, courtesy of The Disc Golf Guy).

Just helping you out if South Florida is your destination in this great state.

Thanks OP for putting this together and for the additional info @adlacro!

I'm actually going to be in South Florida for a long weekend in April (company sponsored vacation) and am excited to try and play all the courses I can. It's certainly getting harder and harder to bag right around me and it'll be awesome to be able to add the southern most course in the continental US to my courses played list!

I was looking at Kendall and definitely thought that they looked underrated by the pictures, so the South of Miami day looks to be very promising.

Any thoughts on the Hialeah course? Is it just totally unplayable like the reviews suggest? The pictures look like it could be fun if not at least uniquely different.

Perhaps an addendum to the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area:

There is a dg course at Orangebrook Country Club in Hollywood (just south of Ft Lauderdale)...it is 18 holes with multiple par 4's and a par 5...reasonable cost at $13 ($3 for the course and $10 for a cart rental)...Collared shirt a must, while it will be the longest course in Broward it is arguably about equal with Trades, Heritage, and Markham as far as the area must plays...no weekends before at least 12 noon.

As far as Miami-Dade county, Kendall Indian Hammocks is a nice play, two courses with various pin positions, worth the drive if you're in Miami or not far away. There is a 21 hole course near the Homestead Air Reserve Base with a few par 4's, but it's a haul just from Miami, let alone Broward or Palm Beach counties. I'll second what the OP mentioned about Commons and Okee, they are the must plays in West Palm and there is recent course film if you're traveling there to show you what it is like at each course (South Florida Open, courtesy of The Disc Golf Guy).

Just helping you out if South Florida is your destination in this great state.

Any thoughts on the Hialeah course? Is it just totally unplayable like the reviews suggest? The pictures look like it could be fun if not at least uniquely different.
Played Amelia Earhardt Xmas day...nothing special at all. The DG itself isn't particularly interesting, but there are some decent water holes. Holes 1-7 are extremely tough to navigate; downed trees and such blocking tees, never found a few of those holes.

Back 9 are easier to find (basket was missing on #14). Course feels quite neglected.

I don't recommend this course at all if you could be playing somewhere else. I played because it's the closest one to my mom's house. Don't drive any distance to play here.

Last edited:
Played Amelia Earhardt Xmas day...nothing special at all. The DG itself isn't particularly interesting, but there are some decent water holes. Holes 1-7 are extremely tough to navigate; downed trees and such blocking tees, never found a few of those holes.

Back 9 are easier to find (basket was missing on #14). Course feels quite neglected.

I don't recommend this course at all if you could be playing somewhere else. I played because it's the closest one to my mom's house. Don't drive any distance to play here.

Thanks for the info! I'll probably still spin it either first or last since it's so close to the airport, but it's nice to know that it's at least playable!

Thanks for the info! I'll probably still spin it either first or last since it's so close to the airport, but it's nice to know that it's at least playable!
Map is a must. #'s2, 5, 7, were completely unplayable. I skipped #10 (one of the courses more interesting holes) because a family was fishing way too close to the basket for me to play the hole... and I got the feeling I was the odd man out.

There's also unlisted two unlisted holes (15A & 15B) that play back up the hill between #15 #16 on the map.

I can't speak as to Earhart's current condition (I can confirm there was heavy damage to the course caused by hurricane Irma) but I will talk to a few of the Miami area golfers and can get back to you as that trip looms closer. Feel free to pm me with some minor trip details (especially as we get closer to your trip), perhaps I can take a day off and show you some courses either here in Broward county or in Miami-Dade.

I'd forgotten about Irma, makes sense that clearing downed trees from a course wasn't a priority.

Anyone know why Ronnie Van Zant Memorial is listed as one 36 hole course instead of two 18 hole courses???:confused:

Last edited:
Anyone know why Ronnie Van Zant Memorial is listed as one 36 hole course instead of two 18 hole courses???:confused:

I wondered the same thing thrembo.

Personally agree with you. Everything about it feels and plays like two separate courses, different location in the park, even a sign for the designating the back 18 as "Rattlesnake Challenge."

But the baskets on Rattlesnake Challenge are actually numbered 19 - 36, so I suppose that makes it a 36 holes course...but it don't feel that way.

Realistically, you're just talking about the semantics of how it's listed on DGCR.

The only real advantage of listing as two 18's is that we can rate and review them independently... and bag another course.

Last edited:
Personally agree with you. Everything about it feels and plays like two separate courses, different location in the park, even a sign for the designating the back 18 as "Rattlesnake Challenge."

But the baskets on Rattlesnake Challenge are actually numbered 19 - 36, so I suppose that makes it a 36 holes course...but it don't feel that way.

Realistically, you're just talking about the semantics of how it's listed on DGCR.

The only real advantage of listing as two 18's is that we can rate and review them independently... and bag another course.

Yup.

I wondered the same thing thrembo.

Hey Mark, when are you going to lift the review block on Oldsmar? We're going up to play the new Sun King course this morning and there is a strong possibility that we will play Oldsmar again today.

Waiting for Trevor to give me the go ahead. I messaged him last week. He said it was close. Hopefully February.

Waiting for Trevor to give me the go ahead. I messaged him last week. He said it was close. Hopefully February.

PLayed her today and it seemed like it was pretty well done too me. I 'm not sure what he could do now to improve on it.

Latest posts