• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best shoes for Turf Tees

Horsman

Pandamonium Discs
Gold level trusted reviewer
I have big issues with turf tees where I slip constantly if I try to throw a shot with over 70ish% power. I have always worn trail shoes for disc golf (Keen, Merrell, Adidas Terrex) and they have never let me down. I'm starting to think that it could be the nubby trail shoes that are causing me issues off the tee.

So what shoes have y'all tired and liked that work well on turf tees.

I always wore adidas mundial teams and they worked great until I developed a lingering turf toe injury. Now I stick to my Danners -- sole stiffness is critical to prevent toe sprains. At least for my throw, the nubs are a plus. Some plastics don't get good friction on the astroturf tho.

The brace is a bit different when you don't have concrete. You have to stay more centered.

I've seen really good golfers go out in football cleats when there is no concrete to deal with. They get crazy brace but they have no knees left as they age into the grandmaster division.

Odd, I've been rocking Merrell Trail Gloves 4 for a number of years now, they're OOP but I stocked up due to a good sale. I think they're at the 6 or 7 now? I digress. They're the barefoot style no elevated heel type running shoe and I've had no slipping issues on turf pads.

I know that's zero help to you, just wanted to throw that out there. Do brick teepads bother you? That's where I find myself slipping the most.

Good luck on your search.

Odd, I've been rocking Merrell Trail Gloves 4 for a number of years now, they're OOP but I stocked up due to a good sale. I think they're at the 6 or 7 now? I digress. They're the barefoot style no elevated heel type running shoe and I've had no slipping issues on turf pads.

I know that's zero help to you, just wanted to throw that out there. Do brick teepads bother you? That's where I find myself slipping the most.

Good luck on your search.

So funny enough, I have a pair of Trail Glove 4's. They are just 12 hours away from me in a storage unit so I cant quite get those. Ive never tried them for disc golf since I didnt want them to get crushed by the concrete tees and hardly ever play on turf. I prefer barefoot shoes for everything minus disc golf since I dont think they could take the beating.

And yes I do slip on brick as well. Im good with concrete, natural and some rubber tees, but I have always had grip issues on turf and brick/pavers

The brace is a bit different when you don't have concrete. You have to stay more centered.

Yea, I have the ability to change my form and stay more centered over my plant foot but doing so leads to me strong arming too many shots and kills my throwing elbow, plus it just feels so unnatural and unsafe.
Also 70% power with my normal form is more accurate and I get more distance than a full power shot when Im centered. Ive changed up my form enough to try and make turf tees work that I know its a big detriment to my game.

I gotta say, I expected my first pair of the Trail Glove 4s to break down pretty quickly. I was amazed at the durability for such a lightweight shoe. On pair two now and between them and #3 I have a handful of years left between the two.

Decided to drive home for a day this weekend and pick up the trail gloves I have and then tried them out on turf. Definitely an upgrade but still not perfect. Thanks for the suggestion

Ok so flats are the best for turf. Vans ultrarange or Vivobarefoot Magna

Latest posts