• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best TAPE for taping on LEDs

46YearOldSlinger

Double Eagle Member
First things first - the end of daylight savings time blows. It sucks an hour out of daytime golf every day. I've decided to try LEDs so I can play at night without having to worry about charging glow discs. I'm using the lights here http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=2 and taped them on with Scotch clear packing tape. This worked fairly well but on a couple of hard tree hits the LED came off the disc. My question is this: What's the STRONGEST CLEAR tape you guys have found for taping on LEDs? I was wondering if anyone had tried this Gorilla tape: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EUGCT22/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER ?

Scotch tape works just fine, just don't apply it the night you're playing. Do it inside a nice warm house at least a day ahead of time. I've also found that once they've sat in a hot car in the sun a few days, that tape will NEVER come off on it's own. You'll even need Goo Gone to clean up the remnants of it when you finally do remove the tape.

The strongest clear tape is the Duck brand packaging tape, it holds well. What I do personally is cut a round piece of clear contact paper a bit smaller than the underside of my disc, which is where I mount my LED's. This keeps things in place and provides a waterproof barrier.

I understand you wanting clear, but if you use electrical tape it will hold way better than packing tape IMO. If the disc amplifies the light anyway, does the tape matter too much?

Competitive soccer my entire life and the only tape I would ever use (shin guards if you're unfamiliar) since age 8 is black electrical. Holds up to sweat and rain/mud and a wide range of temperature.

I understand you wanting clear, but if you use electrical tape it will hold way better than packing tape IMO. If the disc amplifies the light anyway, does the tape matter too much?

Competitive soccer my entire life and the only tape I would ever use (shin guards if you're unfamiliar) since age 8 is black electrical. Holds up to sweat and rain/mud and a wide range of temperature.

It matters if your disc lands upside down.

It matters if your disc lands upside down.

No it doesn't. The disc still glows from center to rim. Even with a Proton MVP disc (black outer rim) you should be able to see it perfectly fine up close as well as at a distance.

I use hockey sock tape, aka stretch tape. It works pretty good, doesn't come off too easily. It wil come off eventually, especially if it's wet, but I carry a roll with me.
I didn't pick this tape for it, it's just what I had on hand, but it's worked pretty good this far.
I also wrap up my lights in tape, so it's easy to move them from disc to disc.

I've never had any issues with any decent packaging tape. To insure it works, I:

A) keep the underside of disc clean
B) use two pieces of tape, forming a x over the light

Note that you only want to attach the tape once, if you screw up don't reuse the tape. Just start over fresh.

Glow in the dark duct tape. When your light craps out you will be glad that you still have a faintly glowing piece of tape on your disc.

I use clear packaging tape, then clear duct tape to secure down the ends of the packaging tape.

Seems a bit like overkill, but I've never lost a light, therefore, I've never lost a disc @ night.

I just use the clear duct tape in the HVAC aisle at Homey Despot. Holds so well, I only use a single piece. I even use a small strip to wrap the battery to hold the LED's on. Works like a champ. :thmbup:

I used to use the clear packing tape. Discs had to be warmish and dry/dust free for it to work best. The clear duct tape doesn't seem to care so far.

I just use the clear duct tape in the HVAC aisle at Homey Despot. Holds so well, I only use a single piece. I even use a small strip to wrap the battery to hold the LED's on. Works like a champ. :thmbup:

I used to use the clear packing tape. Discs had to be warmish and dry/dust free for it to work best. The clear duct tape doesn't seem to care so far.

This! :hfive:

We have been using electrical tape with no problems for years. One advantage no one else mentioned is that the discs stay lit under water with electrical tape for easier retrieval.

double this.