• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Best utility disc?

I've been using my Hellfire for anny release BH and FH flex shots. It's a forgiving option in tight spots, and I'm finding myself relying on its OS more and more.

I'm surprised the Trident hasn't been mentioned. I guess some have moved on to the XXX after it went OOP, but my buddy can do all kinds of utility stuff with that blunt nosed beauty. BH, FH, OH, rollers, skips, and the lower speed gives it versatility at different power levels.

So really currently I don't have any single disc in my bag that's strictly situational and doesn't get used fairly often in regular rounds for routine shots.

I guess I agree. If a disc is really only there for one shot, I think I would eventually kick it out. But I guess I have situational or "utility" shots that I could generally make with several different discs... e.g. overhand approaches, forehand skips.

I guess my Firebird and Zone get the most "utilization," but I also throw them for regular golf shots.

Utility means multi purpose. For me it's a buzzz, because it's easy for me to throw straight and far which would be it's main purpose. Yet it's still very puttable, flies well in winds, great on hyzer and anhyzers, forehands, overhands, rollers, and so on. Just not great for flat ground shots over 350 for me, it's too difficult for me to throw it fast enough to hit that 350. For anything inside 325 or so I can make a buzzz work well.

For "...a disc that doesn't always have a clearly defined purpose, but you find yourself reaching for when you need a very specific shot (often out of trouble)."

I don't really have an answer for that. I'll throw any of the discs in my sig for a specific or out of trouble shot. I parked a really amazing out of jail backhand with my understable mantis fairway today ~150ft on a crazy hyzer through a disc-wide gap after my drive barely flew touched a tree in the fairway and got a horrendous kick. I threw a tough standstill forehand flex shot leaning around some trees with my nuke ~250ft. I threw a sweet forehand roller with my roach understable putter the other day on a crazy shot. I got it to the ground right away. The basket was a full 100 feet left tucked away and I had to throw perpendicular to it...The putter flipped HARD and went 60 feet straight left lol, so lucky because I didn't know it could go that far left from how nasty of a spot I was in, it felt physics defying.

Utility means multi purpose.

Yeah, but that's not what people mean when they say "utility disc." The word is confusing, which is why I proposed calling this a "situational disc" several pages back. What people mean is a disc that you rarely use for normal shots, but you bag it for very specific situations like skip shots, very short rollers, thumbers, etc. that you would usually only use if you were in trouble. Usually situational discs are much more overstable or understable than anything else in your bag.

It sounds like you may not have any specifically situational discs in your bag, which is fine. Lots of people don't (including me).

Lat 64 Trident for me. It flies OS, but goes further then most OS mid molds. The blunt nose rolls really well for forehand rollers. I don't use it much for "conventional shots" Always want one around for unusual situations.

My top utility disc is the DD Justice followed by a DD Felon as the number two. They are what I reach for for those situational shots like skips, precision short range flicks or to get out of trouble.

I define "utility" discs as discs that you would use for unconventional lines in less than ideal situations. For example, I use the XXX for goofy flex annys and spike hyzers to get over obstacles. Any time I need a big arcing shot that will hit and stick. I also use the XXX for monster fade skips to get around obstacles. I do not use the XXX for any conventional shots, as it is a glideless brick that has no real potential for distance. It is the very definition of a utility disc.

I define "utility" discs as discs that you would use for unconventional lines in less than ideal situations. For example, I use the XXX for goofy flex annys and spike hyzers to get over obstacles. Any time I need a big arcing shot that will hit and stick. I also use the XXX for monster fade skips to get around obstacles. I do not use the XXX for any conventional shots, as it is a glideless brick that has no real potential for distance. It is the very definition of a utility disc.

I agree with all except the glideless part. The wider diameter gives it some carry in spite of its flat top. Put it on a flex line and you can still get some distance. It's not going to beat you max d drivers, but in a headwind, it is more predictable and gets similar d to my other fairways. I've played some great 1 disc rounds with my XXX on the past because it's a true utility disc that can do anything.

If you need max d, try it on a roller. The thing goes.

Yeah, but that's not what people mean when they say "utility disc." The word is confusing, which is why I proposed calling this a "situational disc" several pages back. What people mean is a disc that you rarely use for normal shots, but you bag it for very specific situations like skip shots, very short rollers, thumbers, etc. that you would usually only use if you were in trouble. Usually situational discs are much more overstable or understable than anything else in your bag.

It sounds like you may not have any specifically situational discs in your bag, which is fine. Lots of people don't (including me).

Well I mean, Batman has a utility belt, not a situational belt. Anti-shark spray is pretty situational to me though.

I agree with all except the glideless part. The wider diameter gives it some carry in spite of its flat top. Put it on a flex line and you can still get some distance. It's not going to beat you max d drivers, but in a headwind, it is more predictable and gets similar d to my other fairways. I've played some great 1 disc rounds with my XXX on the past because it's a true utility disc that can do anything.

If you need max d, try it on a roller. The thing goes.

You can make the XXX go by virtue of its speed alone, but it takes more effort than it is worth, to juice D out of the XXX.

Latest posts