• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best year for plastic?

Declarkus

Double Eagle Member
So, similar to wine, was there a good year for plastic?

I've heard that the rising cost of plastics has brought down disc plastic quality. I've also been told that older Discraft Z plastic is better than current blends. I noticed a difference in quality from a Proline Squall I bought this year that beat in faster than the one I got new in '07.

From your experience, are there certain years of plastic that you consider superior?
Is there any science to it?

seriously? this is frisbees not wine. but if you are a Roc-head 2001. or was it '02?

Plastic ages and changes so that is a big factor. I see a lot of older discs that are "oily" where I can see fingerprints all over the disc. The plasticizers are being released and the disc is becoming much more brittle. Saying X older plastic "feels better" than Y newer plastic is a complete over generalization. Plastic changes run to run and a lot of the plastic used today is definitely some of the best quality ever. I felt an unthrown gold line driver the other day that felt so perfect to me, I was amazed. You will always run into older discs which plastic's aesthetics, level of flexibility, and/or grip appeals to you. Personally I dig more opaque discs. That being said people are extremely opinionated about plastic and you will always hear these opinion. I can't disagree when I hear that "11x champ plastic" generally has an appealing level of stiffness and high grip. Personally if I still threw a lot of molds that were ran in that plastic I wouldn't ever pay a 200%+ gouged price for one because it isn't worth 2-3 discs to me, but obviously I would buy as many cheap ones as I ran into because those discs tended to feel fantastic.

I bought a DX Teebird in 2011. Im letting that sucker age for a few more years before taking it out.

Well, I think 2015 is looking like a good year. I mean with Frost from latitude coming out later this year, the expansion of the frost line to more molds next year is going to be awesome!

I can't disagree when I hear that "11x champ plastic" generally has an appealing level of stiffness and high grip.

So what year was that? I think I bought my 11x FB new at Academy in 2005 maybe?
It just feels like typical Champ to me, but I know there's a demand for them. I thought maybe it had to do with the older plastics being better.

I prefer 2004ish Discraft Z plastic myself.

2003-2004, early run Z plastic, late CE, KC Pro, SE, chalky D, the goods.

2003-2004, early run Z plastic, late CE, KC Pro, SE, chalky D, the goods.

not bad. definitely love the proline from that era. my fave for putters is a very specific batch from 97. late 90's dx was definitely better than the dx for the next 10 years or so- it has gotten better again recently.

2011 is when Icon came out...so I'm going with 2011. I like to pair my Icon plastic with a nice Nalgene plastic full of water (not BPA).

I prefer Vibram rubber. I also like the early ProStyle rubber/plastic that Lightning made/makes.

Although I don't own any of them, the Gstar plastic feels amazing. I have considered buying some of them, but I don't have time to throw the 200 throwers I currently have that I don't want to get rid of.

There is all kinds of good stuff, Innova 2000-2006, Discraft 2005-2010, prodigy now, DD now, Vibram now, Westside now, MVP the first year to now. IMO. I have about 1500 disc going back to the 80's and all the companies have had good stuff and will again.

Latest posts