• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bragging about cubby aces and short hole aces

Spike Hyzer

Birdie Member
What do ppl think about this? I see ppl online all the time saying they have aced some hole and then I look it up and it is like 150 -170 ft. Holes this short seem like chipping in from the fringe to me and if you throw your whole bag at it and have some skill you are bound to make it every once in a while. Do ppl count practice aces in their ace total? I also played with a guy who had way more aces than me at the time but I would always beat him by at least nine strokes a round. Do some ppl just throw for the ace where I play for the birdie most of the time?

I think people overworship aces in general. I mean, they're nice, but in a scored round, they count all of the equivalent of two birdies.

But aces are way more than 2 times as exciting as a birdie.
Especially when you get a nice wad of cash for hitting them.

But when your home course is a pitch and putt full of sub 250' holes is having a bunch of them that much of an accomplishment?

An ace is an ace. They are praised so much because they are fairly rare. Even on 150 ft shots it takes skill. Have you aced every hole you have played under 150 ft?

A cubby ace is also an ace if you want to count it that way. Aces are seriously just bragging rights. If you feel like bragging about your 5th shot at a 150 ft hole then go for it. And my friend has 3 goldfish. Oh I thought we were talking about **** that didn't matter. People love that joke right after they say something about all the aces they have.

Seriously though, whatever anybody wants to call an ace is up to them. It doesn't effect anyone else unless you have money on an ace count with your friends.

The short answer to your last question is, yes some people do. I played a couple of courses today and where my buddy was looking for a birdie or par, I was running aces. I have aces that were not even 100'. Was my 261' putter ace more exciting? Yes, but an ace feels good no matter what. When you throw that shot off the tee and watch it go in the basket, it ALWAYS feels good! A-L-W-A-Y-S. You may not count it, but if I throw an ace, I'm scoring it as a 1 (For the record, I do not count cubby aces). If you want to score your ace as a 2 or a double bogey, I don't care. For me, the benefit of the aces is twofold. Talking crap and taking strokes off of your score. Bottom line, a 1 on the score card is better than a 2.

Ive been playing almost four years and have 3 aces two of them on practice shots lol I need to cling to all of them. also my one "real"ace was on an 85ft hole at winton woods but I did win $20 off my friends .

Never have had a short ace or a cubby ace to brag about haha. All 4 of my aces felt awesome, especially the 300 footer that won me $300!

I wouldn't brag about an ace that i threw my hole bag at to get , but I'd still feel pretty good about setting one in the chains.

I know a guy that's been playing half as long as me tyat I beat handily every time with one less ace than me.
Shrugs.

I have 6 aces, most of which are on holes less than 200 ft. I don't usually advertise that nuance, but I don't brag about my game anyways.

I'd be pissed off if I hit a Cubby Ace. I don't throw second shots very often anymore.

Probably one of the best answers I can think of is "Who Cares?" people who spend all their time bragging about anything suck to be around in general.

Cubby Aces are exactly that... Cubby Aces.

Aces are exactly that... Aces.

There's a distinct difference, just like there is with Black Aces.

The Cubby and black types are fun, for sure, but they don't count on the scorecard. Both short and long ones do count, though.

Cubby Aces are exactly that... Cubby Aces.

Aces are exactly that... Aces.

There's a distinct difference, just like there is with Black Aces.

The Cubby and black types are fun, for sure, but they don't count on the scorecard. Both short and long ones do count, though.

This

I know some people play the same course over and over. I can beat them on other courses, but not on their turf. I think ace runners are similar. Almost everyone seeks something they excel at, perhaps due to a need to objectify their self worth. There are more than 7 billion seekers at the moment. All similar, but different -- like, oh I don't know, snowflakes?

So you think 150 footers are short? I say anything under 350 is a cubby ace. Lets make up more random numbers to determine how others should enjoy the sport we play!

Seriously though... jelly much?

I dont care about aces unless its an ace race event. Aces are too agressive shots gone lucky. A serious player will always play for the drop in bird instead of the ace.

Last edited:
What do ppl think about this? I see ppl online all the time saying they have aced some hole and then I look it up and it is like 150 -170 ft. Holes this short seem like chipping in from the fringe to me and if you throw your whole bag at it and have some skill you are bound to make it every once in a while. Do ppl count practice aces in their ace total? I also played with a guy who had way more aces than me at the time but I would always beat him by at least nine strokes a round. Do some ppl just throw for the ace where I play for the birdie most of the time?

I don't usually log on to the forums to comment on something, but I had to comment on this.

TL;DR: I'll play my game, you play yours. Our views may overlap, or they may not. Regardless of skill, the game is about fun, unless you're sponsored and playing on the Pro level. Why should anyone want to take someone's excitement/fun away?

Long Version: I've been playing about a year and a half now, and still suck pretty bad at this game. I have fun, though. I can hit 250' with varying accuracy, and when I'm really lucky I can hit 300' with absolutely no accuracy.

That being said, regardless of hole length/difficulty, if I were to hit an ace I'd brag about it, but probably only to my friends. Most of my shots are luck anyways, but should that take away from the feeling of accomplishment I get? Now, Cubby Aces are different. Throw discs repeatedly with the chance to dial it in, and you're bound to hit one. If someone I don't know were to brag about a Cubby Ace, I'd just ignore it and move on. Means nothing to me, which means why should I go out of my way to take away their accomplishment? If a friend of mine, however, were to do it, I'd relentlessly dog them about it...

My point is, a real ace is a real ace. At my skill level, yeah, I'll brag to my friends that I made one when I finally do. If I do. Because it's a short hole, you're a better player than me (Using it as a general statement, not a jab at OP), and I play this course often should I feel any less excited that I just did that?

Depends what you are playing for. Really who cares what someone else does. If Cubby has 500 cubby aces then good for him. If you play for park jobs instead of running it then who cares? Just have fun, quit worrying about other people.

BTW I am awesome and you suck!:p