• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bragging about cubby aces and short hole aces

Probably one of the best answers I can think of is "Who Cares?" people who spend all their time bragging about anything suck to be around in general.
This.^^^

Both of my Aces came on very short holes, but IMHO they count as much as any other. Quite frankly, at this stage of my development I have no better odds of hitting an ace on a 150' hole than I do on a 300' hole. I'm not shooting for the basket, I'm trying to put the disc near the basket, and if it happens to go in that's amazing. Either way, aces aren't how I measure my game. I'd rather shoot all deuces at our local pitch/putt than have an ace, but I'll never complain about an ace.

I will be honest... it is more fun/exciting to talk about the ace that got away then it is to talk about the one that stuck.

In the Doubles rounds that I run/organize you will get the "1" on the card but not the ACE pot money. I state that before the round starts.

Why is that? That doesn't make any sense. If it is their choice to take their second shot off the tee instead of taking one later in the hole like normal then essentially it is no different than their partner hitting the ace and you would give the money to them if it were a true doubles team.

Around here, we mostly just call them fake aces and move on with it.....no bragging.

What if you're the person stuck playing solo in a doubles round? :D LOL!!!

In the Doubles rounds that I run/organize you will get the "1" on the card but not the ACE pot money. I state that before the round starts.

That seems kinda shady to me, hopefully you dont make them buy into an ace pot they are not eligible for when playing Cali. :thmbdown:

Most the leagues around will stipulate that the Cali person can only take the Ace Pot if it is on their first throw. If they use the Cali shot off the tee then that shot is ineligible for the Ace Pot. While a few other leagues count either shot as good for Ace Pot, sometimes get people begging to be Cali. :clap:

Why is that? That doesn't make any sense. If it is their choice to take their second shot off the tee instead of taking one later in the hole like normal then essentially it is no different than their partner hitting the ace and you would give the money to them if it were a true doubles team.

If the ACE pot cost $2 to get in, everybody is putting in $2 for 18 chances at the ACE pot. I don't believe it's fair for the odd-man-out to get 36 chances at the money for only $2. If they want to pay double ($4) then I'm willing to consider that. If you have a partner for the round your chances are better for getting a share of the ACE pot, but it's not guaranteed your partner will split with you (that debate is pretty well hashed out on here).

I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, that's just what I believe and I let people know ahead of time so they can make their decision to participate or not.

DG terminology

Ace; s shot that goes into the basket; either from the tee, or a "significant" distance from the basket (fairway ace)

I think this is kind of a silly thread, because who cares, really? The game's for enjoyment so enjoy it how you like, but....

... I've never heard anyone call anything thrown from anything but the tee-pad an ace. "Fairway ace" is a slightly tongue-in-cheek play on an "ace" but never referred to, seriously, as an ace. At least I've never heard it and I've been playing a while.

If the ACE pot cost $2 to get in, everybody is putting in $2 for 18 chances at the ACE pot. I don't believe it's fair for the odd-man-out to get 36 chances at the money for only $2. If they want to pay double ($4) then I'm willing to consider that. If you have a partner for the round your chances are better for getting a share of the ACE pot, but it's not guaranteed your partner will split with you (that debate is pretty well hashed out on here).

that seems more reasonable to me. thanks for clarifying

although in reality they really aren't getting 36 chances at it unless they are just taking their second shot off the tee every single time, but that is a whole other thing

that seems more reasonable to me. thanks for clarifying

although in reality they really aren't getting 36 chances at it unless they are just taking their second shot off the tee every single time, but that is a whole other thing

Even if they only do it once, their getting more opportunities than the others for the same price. I just don't think that's fair so that's why I have that policy and announce it ahead of time just so everyone is clear. ACE pot money on the line does strange things to otherwise calm people.

That seems kinda shady to me, hopefully you dont make them buy into an ace pot they are not eligible for when playing Cali. :thmbdown:

Most the leagues around will stipulate that the Cali person can only take the Ace Pot if it is on their first throw. If they use the Cali shot off the tee then that shot is ineligible for the Ace Pot. While a few other leagues count either shot as good for Ace Pot, sometimes get people begging to be Cali. :clap:

Isn't that what I wrote? Maybe I didn't write it like I thought I did. If it's your first throw off the TEE, you get paid if you entered the ACE pot for $2. Second shot is nice and all, but it's only worth the "1" on your scorecard.

A short ace (by whoever's definition) is still an ace. It really depends on the course/event whether its "legit" to brag about it. About 15 years ago, I hit a heavily wooded dogleg ace on a 150ish hole (a deuce or die hole), it was during a PDGA SuperTour (now A-tier) event with about 120 players (including 15-20 touring pros in the field). It was the only ace over 4 rounds and I pocketed over $200. Of course, I'll brag about it. I used either a DX Whippet or Viper.

^^^Over a dollar a foot is awesome! :clap:

I had a $70 ace that was only 90 feet on New Years' 2013 at Winton Woods. It's OK by me!

Personally, I think all aces are fun.

The definition of 'jaundiced' was when I saw an Open group behind us at a modified hole (at another tourney) hit the only ace of the day, and nobody on the card even responded. Not a whoop or a holler. I asked, why no celebration? & they pretty much were, "well, it's only about 150 feet. That's no big deal".

...and here I was thinking they played open to win money. Silly me.

^^^Over a dollar a foot is awesome! :clap:

I had a $70 ace that was only 90 feet on New Years' 2013 at Winton Woods. It's OK by me!

Personally, I think all aces are fun.

Over my 20+ years of playing, I can't recall ever playing a hole less than about 130' other than on the Tiki course at the Blockhouse (Grange) where an ace was only a birdie; no bragging for Tiki aces.

I don't even remember all my aces or even more so cubby aces, I canned 17 at goshen with a D4 in a bag emptying, forgot all about it. Til a month later Im playing the course with the same guys and one of them was like "no D4" I had to think why would I throw a D4 here? Then it hit me duh I canned this one a month ago. Cubbies are fun but not as fun as first throws which are not as fun as ones that bring cash. As for distance I did not design it im just playing it so if its short its short if its long its long.

I only brag about my hilarious aces. Like my ace at Phantom Falls where I shanked a drive into a tree, it landed on it's top and proceeded to slide downhill a good 150 feet and crash into the basket that's set into the Falls itself.

An ace is just an overshot drive that happened to hit chains. It's fun to get one, but no reason to brag.

Even if they only do it once, their getting more opportunities than the others for the same price. I just don't think that's fair so that's why I have that policy and announce it ahead of time just so everyone is clear. ACE pot money on the line does strange things to otherwise calm people.

Just to make an edit: "they're" instead of their.

Latest posts