• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

I want to look at it this way for a second....how many of Brodie's viewers would actually care about DG? Yes, the sheer odds say a bunch, but really? If Jomez for example put out a bunch of ultimate Frisbee content, how many of us would watch? Or care? Or immediately want to pick up the sport? It's not the right target audience.

How much really is he going to move the needle?

THIS is what I am interested in and I would venture a guess that he does move the needle quite a bit from a business perspective. Agreed on the point about not a lot of people taking up ultimate if Jomez offered it up, but I think that is jaded by the fact that many already have a #1 passion/hobby in their life.

Many comments I see on Jomez videos are along the lines of "I just stumbled upon this channel" and now they have tried + love disc golf. I think any disc golf media company would love to have Brodie interact in between holes with comments of "These guys are good" and other quirky light-hearted things. Also, him just genuinely being amazed by the skills of the top disc golfers. Seems such a WIN-WIN for a media company.

I have always imagined the people who watch Brodie are the same that watch Dude Perfect - just a bunch of people with expendable time on their hands. Introduce an activity that is inexpensive and requires little effort to enjoy and I think that demographic of people are ripe to pick the game up....I mean be exploited. (Just wanted to use that word and feel the essence of being a bitter Snowflake).

Take out the Bro-isms' and this cat has some celebrity that could add some legitimacy to his eligibility to participate with our royalty. <Yeah, I did that on purpose........just feeeeling the Bro'.

Last edited:
He plastered a pic of himself and his card on Twitter so it's open season. I think the guy likes people talking about him.

Correct but I'm just saying why don't we wait until he is actually an obnoxious d-bag in a tournament setting before saying he's going to be an obnoxious d-bag in a tournament setting. If that does happen then we can all pile on at that time.

Nobody knows his motivations for doing this except him. Oh yeah, and this disc golf guy who thinks he's Marge Simpson warning us all about the evil Monorail salesman:
This dude just wants to exploit us for his ad revenue checks.
Maybe JTacoma is correct, maybe not. Let's say he is correct. How are we being "exploited" if we're just playing casual and tournament disc golf the same as we would with no Brodie Smith around?

Maybe JTacoma is correct, maybe not. Let's say he is correct. How are we being "exploited" if we're just playing casual and tournament disc golf the same as we would with no Brodie Smith around?

It appears the JTacoma believes that this is a zero sum game... which of course, it is not.

I want to look at it this way for a second....how many of Brodie's viewers would actually care about DG? Yes, the sheer odds say a bunch, but really? If Jomez for example put out a bunch of ultimate Frisbee content, how many of us would watch? Or care? Or immediately want to pick up the sport? It's not the right target audience.

How much really is he going to move the needle?

I love ultimate highlights. Follow more Ultimate content on Instagram than disc golf, because 100% of it are crazy bids and hucks. Never have or would play, though. Catch with an Ultrastar is as far as I go (like the guy below) Just into "frisbee" culture, and I imagine some Ultimate players feel the same.

Attachments

• noog1.JPG
    noog1.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 86
Do those dudes have a flipping death wish???? What in the actual f@#$ would posses you to stand in front of something like that????

Those are GUTS discs, they are made for this. These are not wrap speed drivers that will slice and dice... they still are gonna sting though.

Here is Will throwing an 80 MPH GUTS throw, without an X step... and it was caught.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GCM4mUqlX8

JTacoma has more firsthand experience with BS than everyone else in this thread combined.

Agreed, but first hand knowledge does not excuse asinine comments.

You are not exploiting us by being a course designer anymore than a local Pro making some money by winning events. Being "serious" about disc golf is not a prerequisite to participate in the sport, whether for financial gain or simple fun.

No, because on the other side of the coin you would have to retire a small novel of over used words.

giphy.gif

Agreed, but first hand knowledge does not excuse asinine comments.

You are not exploiting us by being a course designer anymore than a local Pro making some money by winning events. Being "serious" about disc golf is not a prerequisite to participate in the sport, whether for financial gain or simple fun.

Define exploit. I tend to agree with him about BS.

Do those dudes have a flipping death wish???? What in the actual f@#$ would posses you to stand in front of something like that????

In the very early days, guts was as big, if not bigger than disc golf. I purchased the first 3 discs I ever bought from a guts guy.

Those ultimate players have great wrist snap. If disc golf was played with putters and mids only, they could easily climb to the top of the distance elite imop, but fast drivers require more arm speed and I think..that's where they are lacking at least..initially. ? ? ?

I think Brodie has a bag that about 50% of the discs would be legal for the Retro Class, the type of discs that are missing the beveled edge. That or he uses heavily the Condor and similar larger then 180 gram diameter disc golf discs for his game.

My prediction for the Brodhim:

- Won't even get a sniff of the top 20 in any major tourney. Not even close.
- Courtesy violations.
- Selfies
- Instagram
- Distracting camera crew
- Looses interest after half a season

Like him or hate him I think this sport needs more personality and he will provide oodles of that.