• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building a 9 hole disc golf course!

qjoseph

Do you think it is possible to put a disc golf course on a wooded and hilly 6 acres lot?
if so do you think it should be a "putter only course?"
its mainly a private course that I would invite my friends to also, what do you think the average hole distance should be?

Do you think it is possible to put a disc golf course on a wooded and hilly 6 acres lot?
its mainly a private course that I would invite my friends to also, what do you think the average hole distance should be?

I've never built a disc golf course but I've looked into similar things. So, I'll let others go into more detail about the golf part but you might want to post the shape of the lot. No 6 acre lot is the same. Just a thought.

Disc golf fits anywhere.. I know of two tight courses.. One is on maybe 2 acres and the other is maybe an acre. The 2 acre one has 3 decent holes for length but many are deuce or die. Lots of issues if there's more tha n one group they need about a 3 hole lead to avoid crossfire.

The 1 acre is called "partwoozie" it's putter only from multiple tees. Plays best in one big group rather than two. Almost every hole is some kind of back and forth.

Six acres is decent, I would be looking at an average length of 200'-300' and look carefully for places to put in long holes before throwing a lot of work or effort at hacking them out. I have a lot of 250-300' on my course, I have 14 acres but I didn't pack the holes together, I have four starting points for 18 and I can comfortably fit 100 players in groups of 6-8.

Last edited:

It should be whatever you want to play. You are your own main customer.

Though with some consideration of what the land gives you. It's tough to shoehorn one type of course into property best fitted for another.

If you don't expect a lot of people at one time, you have the freedom to have crossing or adjacent fairways, and find the best 9 holes the land offers.

yes.
I'd design it to aspects you most enjoy most about disc golf. That way the everlasting build is an enjoyable journey.

Already some great insight from a few private course owners here. Here is a thread that should provide some insight.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58060&highlight=executing+dream

Every now and then I go back and read through the first year or two worth of posts on that thread. I always forget how nuts MorganWright and StevenFoster were in there.

It's a great read though, beginning to end, even despite those nutjobs. My story starts at post #396 (early 2014) and it's been a heck of an adventure so far.

Yes indeed! You may even be able to sneak in many more than 9.

I have 13 holes in a 3ish acre heavily wooded and hilly area that I've been tweaking for about 5 years. Distances range from 150ft to 420ft (most holes probably around 250ft). My course has 6 baskets that get used twice (one 3 times) It starts clockwise for the first 7 and turns around counterclockwise for the last 6. For instance, if you have a good fairway/channel/gap etc going downhill, you may just have a pretty good line going right back uphill. 2 holes for the price of 1! It will definitely take some time and creativity but you definitely have plenty of room.

Yes indeed! You may even be able to sneak in many more than 9.

I have 13 holes in a 3ish acre heavily wooded and hilly area that I've been tweaking for about 5 years. Distances range from 150ft to 420ft (most holes probably around 250ft). My course has 6 baskets that get used twice (one 3 times) It starts clockwise for the first 7 and turns around counterclockwise for the last 6. For instance, if you have a good fairway/channel/gap etc going downhill, you may just have a pretty good line going right back uphill. 2 holes for the price of 1! It will definitely take some time and creativity but you definitely have plenty of room.

In the Louisville area? That's pretty close to me....

Every now and then I go back and read through the first year or two worth of posts on that thread. I always forget how nuts MorganWright and StevenFoster were in there.

It's a great read though, beginning to end, even despite those nutjobs. My story starts at post #396 (early 2014) and it's been a heck of an adventure so far.

I've done that a couple of times, too. I think of that thread in terms of chapters, and those two are among the best.

What are the dimensions of the property being used?

I recently put 9 baskets and a practice basket with 18 tees on property about 350'x900'

A buddy of mine has a 12 hole course on his 3 acre property. A lot of crossing fairways and some shared tees and baskets, but it's actually a decent course with elevation and the longest hole around 280'. Can't have more than 2 groups at a time on it, but yes, it can be done with acceptable results.

I'm doing a putter course on an acre. It's very wooded, some relatively large changes in elevation, a couple open patches and a house in the middle. most holes will be around 200' or less. I have it mapped out so many different ways, can't wait to get working on it this summer and nail down the final layout.

Just make the best of what you've got, even if it's a full on putting league layout who cares!? Still awesome!

Ok so hear me out, it's a bizarre concept at first that I was opposed to but through natural terrain etc my course plays in a 4 leaf clover. Every four or five holes you come back past the house can reload on envy's haha bevvies and have a smoke. No smoking on my course, we had a fire...

Anyhow seems weird but come summer when all my friends show up 80-100 I can actually funnel that traffic and everyone gets done in about 2.5- 3 hours playing random doubles. I didn't like it at first but now I love it! People show up to play and sometimes I have commitments but I can always jump in part way for the next 5 holes. Or if people have to leave they can bail after 13 holes. No crossing fairways, but it's shorter holes.

Last edited:
We put an 18 hole putt-putt course on 5 acres of wooded land. The holes average around 100 feet with good flow and no safety issues. It gets a lot of traffic, with a mix of experienced players, new players and kids using the course. Sounds easy, but it's a par 2 course and so far no one has beaten par, even with $1000 waiting for anyone who can do so during the monthly mini. Check out the Flying Armadillo on Facebook, DGCR, or take a look at the images on Google if interested.

Yes
That's up to the course owner
Depends completely on the terrain. Since its a friends only course, fairways COULD intersect as long as only one or two cards were playing at a time.

Latest posts