• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building Tourney Pedigree

zrxchris

Birdie Member
So I have been working with the City to build our TD resume so we can snag a PDGA Major or NT stop. We're building new courses and I have my 2nd B-Tier in November. After the 1at tourney left me with a huge box of discs and I was down several hundred dollars, I've gone the Trophy only route and the city gives me my cash added.

So I picked a good weekend, and tried a new strategy of putting more $$ towards FPO to try and build on the pros I got last time. Learning a lot the hard way....I just got stung by the fly ink open which I'm losing quite a few pros whom had verbally committed to attending my pro event in November.

I understand where there coming from, the fly ink has 3 years of history and the 2012 purse was 9200+,and if had the same # of pros at my event I would only have about a $6800 purse. It's just tough since it wasn't on the radar when I researched weekends when sanctioning my event.

So I'm hoping that this will actually help me with the city of Tuscaloosa as it drives home that we need NT level 4K added cash to really draw top pros...I was only able to up my cash added to 2K. More added cash would help me to fend off competitive B tiers next go around.

So know with all the top women going to Austin, my tourney will probably suffer cause I have already advertised 700 towards FPO and only 1300 to MPO. I thought that by not putting all my cash towards MPO I could lure at least 10 women. Now I'm stuck....

Any advice on how to plan better next go around?

Yea I think for you to have even a chance at an NT or Major you will need High Caliber courses in the area. The 2 courses there look decent but nothing really top notch and that one of the 2 courses has natural tees might keep people away all together.

Any advice on how to plan better next go around?

Honestly, it sounds like you just need more help. How big is your organization/club to support (and fund-raise) an event like that? For our local B-tier this year, we were able to add about $3500, but that involved the efforts of at least five different volunteers out looking for sponsors. Then we had a whole separate group of volunteers working on the course itself, two dedicated TD's, and I took care of all of the PDGA reporting duties. i.e. a total team of 15-20 people.

Also, in my opinion snagging the touring Pros requires scheduling a *lot* in advance. Ideally, you want the event to coincide well with where touring pros are likely to be heading/staying for the NT events anyway. i.e. when and where is the closest NT event? Find a weekend right around that, and schedule it asap.

Wait, this is just the second B-tier you're running and you sound like you feel like it's some sort of failure that some "names" decided to go somewhere else. Don't sweat it. I understand the lure of wanting to have "name" players at your event, but it really shouldn't be the end-all goal. Forget about who isn't there and isn't coming and focus on making the event as top-notch as possible for the people who are there. Make them feel like top pros for a weekend and word will spread.

It isn't who shows up to your events that makes the difference in whether or not you "snag" an NT stop or a Major, it's how well you run your events overall. If they're well run, people will come. Word of mouth is a powerful thing.

Jeverett makes a good point about scheduling. You might get more "names" if the event coincides with the majority of player's tour schedule. But if the event is good enough, players will make sure that their schedule is convenient to your event rather than the other way around.

I assure you your city council doesn't even know what the PDGA is. They would want events that are going to lead to attendees of any skill level spending a lot of money on food, gas and possibly hotel rooms. All drawing top pros into town with big added cash does is drain a lot of local resources so an elite few can have a nice payday, and take all that money out of town.

You'd honestly wow their heads more by saying that getting another course would allow you to double the number of registrants, and hence double the potential economic windfall.

I assure you your city council doesn't even know what the PDGA is. They would want events that are going to lead to attendees of any skill level spending a lot of money on food, gas and possibly hotel rooms. All drawing top pros into town with big added cash does is drain a lot of local resources so an elite few can have a nice payday, and take all that money out of town.

You'd honestly wow their heads more by saying that getting another course would allow you to double the number of registrants, and hence double the potential economic windfall.

I was going to mention this, too. Big turnouts (especially from out-of-town folks) make much more of a difference on the local economy, and this honestly doesn't need to be 'touring' pros at all. Just getting a lot of regional players will be enough to fill an event. As a side-note, amenities like on-site, (or very close) low-cost camping (during the Summer) we've found is a great draw for out-of-town folks.

No actually the City has worked with me to build a relationship with the PDGA for the last 2 years.

I began my relationship with the City Tourism Department thru ultimate, being a hotel manager I helped grow the local college tourney from 20-36 teams in two years and made a big economic impact to the city. Then we bid on sectional and regional tourneys, we ran into a wall that without having one site that was not 20 fields we just couldn't get the big Ultimate tourneys.

Then the city asked me what other sub culture sports could they pursue to generate tourism. I said that small PDGA events could produce. 100-250 rooms nites.

I then got the City to give $35K to develop 2 courses so we could bid on the USMDG. The Executive Director of our Sports Commission met with the PDGA at NASC events and asked that if the City committed to building courses could we have a chance to get a 2-3 course event. Only part the PDGA forgot to tell him was that thy did not run their own events (unlike ultimate, USA Triathlon and most other large tournaments Tuscaloosa had hosted in the past.
He'll, my local sports guy was Achilles when there was not a bid fee for the USMDGC.

We were told we had one of the best bid presentations the PDGA had seen but because we did not have an experience local TD we would not be a good choice.
That's the one thing the PDGA does not get, Cities "Host Events" the sanctioning body should "Run" them.
Our city would pony up to 7-8K for a annual NT Stop that could produce 150 participants.

Local club is not as motivated as I am. No big deal...for my USMDGC bid I submitted a budget with " Hired Guns" to help me run the event, but that was not enough.

Sorry but I figure I should give you my back story.

With a big event I could get plenty of added cash but our plan has been to build slowly
2 B tiers this year
1 A Tier next year $4K
Then bid on a 2016 event.

I researched 2 years of events and hand picked this weekend back in June. I just wish there were more tier levels for events the $$ added is so vague, you can host a B tier not have to jump thru all the hoops as an A Tier and put as much Money towards it as an A Tier, it's just tough...and I thought I had a good weekend the. TX tourney comes along...aargh

Thanks for all of your guys great feedback, I really appreciate it.

Our tourney will be great....spotters, most added FPO in the southeast, Trophy Only get 3 rounds and 3 meals and fruit snacks water for $20 and under.

Thanks again

I found from my first event that the 20 pros I got all came 1-2 days early to practice and hence stayed longer in town then the regional am players. Plus no merchandise makes life so much easier...if I had a 5K added purse I could have a pitch and putt for the tourney and I bet I could get 75 pros.

I love disc golf but my motivation is bring events that will produce an economic impact for my city. My city defines that as events that can produce 100 + room nites.

why exactly do you only want to attract pro players

At first yes, because they come in to town early to practice and stay in town.

Of the 50 players we had at our first City funded tourney, the 20 pro players stayed an average of 2.5 days in town. amateur players were all in state except for a handful from out of state and almost no amateur players stayed the night.

It's just like at a ski resort, day trippers just don't make as much of an economic impact as overnight visitors.

Maybe after a few more events I can lure a big disc company to do merchandising and lure more amateurs that live more than 3 hours away.

One thing to wonder about is, how many of those overnight players pay for their lodging? I'm sure at least some of them are sleeping in the spare bedrooms, sofas, and floors of local players. And some of the rest are doubling up (at least) in hotel rooms, so the hotel demand isn't as great as it may appear.

One thing to wonder about is, how many of those overnight players pay for their lodging? I'm sure at least some of them are sleeping in the spare bedrooms, sofas, and floors of local players. And some of the rest are doubling up (at least) in hotel rooms, so the hotel demand isn't as great as it may appear.

Very true, luckily for me the local tourism commission doesn't require fine details.
I show them a breakdown of where players live, based on additional registration info I get from players at checkin, I get their address at registration and then share that info with the tourism Commission.

At first yes, because they come in to town early to practice and stay in town.

Of the 50 players we had at our first City funded tourney, the 20 pro players stayed an average of 2.5 days in town. amateur players were all in state except for a handful from out of state and almost no amateur players stayed the night.
I'm curious how you go about confirming either of these things. Did you give your players a survey?

It's just like at a ski resort, day trippers just don't make as much of an economic impact as overnight visitors.
Yes, but overnight visitors who bunk on their friend's couches and eat bologna sandwiches make less economic impact than ones who actually get a motel room and eat out. Its a simple ugly reality in our sport when playing DG is one's primary means of income (as opposed to something they do on weekends to supplement their day job earnings), things on the expense end have to rationed accordingly. Motel 6, Jimmy Johns and driving solo for 200+ miles are luxuries those folks can't often afford.

Maybe after a few more events I can lure a big disc company to do merchandising and lure more amateurs that live more than 3 hours away.
Just hope your C&VB doesn't catch onto the truth about the demographics of our sport by then. It could come back to bite you.

In Colorado, my friend and I make a point of playing one A-Tier a year (usually the CO State Championships) and we go all-out. Put in a 4-day pass, leave Thursday night and get a hotel for Thurs-Sat. We practice all day Friday, buy in to the obligatory Friday night dubs, eat out every meal and carouse at the local drinking establishments at night. Last year we even took in a local high school football game on Friday night (go Brush Beetdiggers!)

In 2012 our insividual budgets were around 600 bucks a piece.

We are amateurs, and I challenge you to find more than a handful of people who do it up like we do. But ot is out there..as long as the event is smoothly run and has a good reputation. Im fairly certain Ams have a much higher economic contribution than pros, but thats just conjecture.

Build up a good rep, run a few A-Tiers and set a goal of hosting a major maybe in 2016 or 2017. The sport is likely to show continued growth for at least that long. Dont try to rush things.

so the plan for the city is: tax the people of the community and make payouts to touring pros, so that some of the money comes back to the town in the form of hotels, restaurants, etc.

people at city council really have too much time on their hands.

so the plan for the city is: tax the people of the community and make payouts to touring pros, so that some of the money comes back to the town in the form of hotels, restaurants, etc.

people at city council really have too much time on their hands.

Lodging tax monies don't originate with constituents, mostly out of towners.

In Colorado, my friend and I make a point of playing one A-Tier a year (usually the CO State Championships) and we go all-out. Put in a 4-day pass, leave Thursday night and get a hotel for Thurs-Sat. We practice all day Friday, buy in to the obligatory Friday night dubs, eat out every meal and carouse at the local drinking establishments at night. Last year we even took in a local high school football game on Friday night (go Brush Beetdiggers!)

In 2012 our insividual budgets were around 600 bucks a piece.

We are amateurs, and I challenge you to find more than a handful of people who do it up like we do. But ot is out there..as long as the event is smoothly run and has a good reputation. Im fairly certain Ams have a much higher economic contribution than pros, but thats just conjecture.

Build up a good rep, run a few A-Tiers and set a goal of hosting a major maybe in 2016 or 2017. The sport is likely to show continued growth for at least that long. Dont try to rush things.

Thanks...hoping to do an A Tier in 2014

Colorado...good place to be, I lived in Vail for 10yrs

Latest posts